Allow import of GPX/CSV/TCX files to Fitbit account

As many people continue to convert over to the FitBit community, they bring with them months and years of previous workouts stored in various other platforms. For example, I was an avid user of SportsTracker, however their lack of flexibility with AppleHealth importing had me switch to FitBit. I have several workouts from all over the world that I would want to keep.
It would be great if these workouts could be imported to FitBit, counting toward their overall journey.
Most platforms export to a GPX or similar file. It woudl not be too difficult to impliment an import page on the website for past workout data to be imported (bonus points awarded if we could import multiple files at once!)

Moderator edit: title and labels

93 Comments
ChrisAtkins
Base Runner

It would be nice to be able to import .tcx files into Fitbit, for example to correct a position-tracked activity for which the GPS data is incorrect (as I have) but where the actual data is known from other measurements (or from a prior activity).

giocosmiano
Jogger

I've been using Garmin for years now and just bought my first Fitbit charger 2. I totally agree with the community on this and can't believed it has been ignored by Fitbit developers for almost 2 years now asking for a simple feature to import csv data from other app into Fitbit. Too bad I may NOT be able to try this device for a simple fact that I can't transfer all my history activities into Fitbit. Smiley Sad

giocosmiano
Jogger

Hi @RobertoME - Looks like you're pretty good responding to questions from other threads so I would appreciate if you can answer the question from this thread. Will Fitbit develop (or in the process of developing) a feature to allow data import from other tracker? I'm wondering since this feature request has been opened for almost 2 years now, with so many votes, but yet no response from Fitbit developers. Thank you so much.

lak4
First Steps
They have been ignoring this post for a long time.

My work around is to create an endomondo account and sync everything to
that. That is what I do. I haven't found a silver bullet but I did switch
to Garmin. They are superior products. I have the vivoactive and can go
almost two weeks between charging. I love the fitbit ecosystem but can't
live with the inferior products. Not waterproof, poor battery life, poor
music syncing on the ionic ... They have the ecosystem and dashboards
right, now they need to focus on their product quality and ecosystem
openness! I gave up on them due to those two major issues.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I just wonder if devs are working so hard on all those features we suggest or just nobody gives a F...

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Moving back to fitbit from garmin, would be nice to import my garmin data, but there apparently still isn't a way.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Just came to Fitbit and l’d like to import data from other apps. 

Seems this has been suggested / requested for months now. 

Any plan to get this done ?

Any specific technical hurdles that make this difficult to implement ?

thanks

GarrettHamlin
Jogger

I just got a Charge 3 for Christmas.  Love it!  

I have been wearing a Garmin Vivosmart for  couple years and would like to transfer the data into my Fitbit account.  Customer service said it is not possible to transfer generic activity data into the Charge 3.  This seems like it would be a very worthwhile feature. 

The ability to import data from an .xls or .csv file would be a really good idea. It would be a great marketing tool to get people to switch platforms. 

Can you request that the Fitbit developers create this functionality?

Thanks for considering my request.

Moderator Edition: Updated title for clarity

VincenzoK
First Steps

Please include ANY way of import data features. I just got my Fitbit and I am close to giving it back. It seems impossible to get my previous steps from apple health to Fitbit. I tried multiple apps but they all messed up big time because Fitbit does not allow them to write more than 150 entries/hour. 
Now I have steps counted twice or no steps at all. And I am not even able to delete them. Customer service is no help whatsoever because they are just telling me that deleting the entries is not longer possible. (seriously?) This is the worst experience I've ever had with a product. Please fix that. 

univ
First Steps

Since women have typically been tracking their female health either via other apps that export the years of historical data into CVS or they have been tracked in excel files for years it would be extremely useful if we could import female health information via cvs.

neevz
First Steps
Allow the import of tcx files from other fitness applications.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @neevz, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to import tcx files to the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

FUZZY_BUNNY
First Steps

I just got a Fitbit and I have 8+ years of portable data in Strava. It never even occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to import it. Good grief, it's 2021--what are we doing? I guess I'll have to get a Garmin. My wife has one and has been impressed with the openness and interoperability of the data platform.

If you want to persuade data nerds (i.e. your whole customer base) to come over to Fitbit from other platforms, you've got to provide a seamless way for us to bring along our historical data. There are a lot of treasured memories in those GPX files--marathons, century rides, hikes through the mountains--and my fitness tracker data for this stuff is every bit as important as a photograph.

kazshak
Jogger
I currently have about one year's worth of data from my Omada scale and app. I have the data in a CSV file that contains the date and time of the reading, and what I weighed at that time. I would like to upload this data to my fitbit app. Can you please let me know if this can be done currently, or if there is a third party app to do it?
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @kazshak, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to upload your weight data in CSB format to your Fitbit account with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Srndpti873
First Steps
I would like to be able to build a meal and share it with another user in a form that they can import.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Srndpti873. While the option to export meals already exists on the online dashboard, we thank you for sharing this product feedback about being able to share your meals so your friends can import them on their account with us. We found two similar ideas and you can see them here:

Please support these ideas by adding your vote as this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides what product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.