Allow us to set macronutrient goals and show us full macronutrient breakdowns in app

Macronutrient tracking/goal features seem logical and are sorely needed to make the FitBit app an "all-in-one" fitness/health app. These features exist in other food-tracking apps and it is the only major feature the FitBit app seems to be missing on this side of things. Many people on these forums express frustration about having to a separate app to get proper macronutrient tracking.

The suggestion is broken down into 2 components, which are all basic features that other diet apps provide:

1. Allow us to set what % and/or gram of each macronutrient we want to consume and make it a goal that we can achieve each day. For example, say I want to set my daily intake to be 150g protein, 100g carb, and 50g fat, or I can set it to say I want a 40/40/20 ratio. Then the app can tell me how I'm doing on each of those goals each day.

2. Right now the app only displays % of macronutrients consumed for calories of each type. However, a simple way to view grams of each would be better and compliment reaching calorie/macronutrient goals. Food labels display grams of each macronutrient, so it is only logical that we can track this in the app. It's easy to recognize that you need "25 more grams of protein" and then check a protein bar label and see that it will give you "15 of those 25 grams of protein."

Note to mods: This feature currently does NOT exist so please stop merging this suggestion into the other thread ( https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Track-Macros-in-App-daily-carbs-protein-fat-inta... a different request that has been released, because they are NOT the same or else people wouldn't keep making new threads asking for this feature.

137 Comments
inmyactivewear
First Steps

I would love to see the ability to set what your macro goals are and for the app to calculate net carbs into the percentage breakdown. I know there are other apps that I can connect to that it already, but I would like to have it all in one place. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

xgunther
First Steps

I would absolutely love this. It would be a great way to consolidate my fitness and nutrition goals. I'm eating a ketogenic diet and currently using myFitnessPal to track my macros. 

Status changed to: Needs More Info
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @inmyactivewear! We wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for.

Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

anjmittu
First Steps

This feature would be very helpful

Cole.Lemon
First Steps

It would be great to have the ability to make a goal for your macros in the app as well as on the FitBit site.

it is extremely annoying to have to use a web browser on my phone to see what I can eat. The having to subtract that from my goal in my calculator. Not easy to use while on-the-go or in general. I am essentially using three apps to log my meals so it syncs with my FitBit tracker.

I might as well use the premium setting in MyFitness Pal and use a Garmin to track all of my fitness in one app.

AutumnMist
First Steps

This would be very helpful for individuals trying to maintain a Keto diet.

Annastocks
First Steps

Have a break down of the macro grams as well as the percentage when each meal is added 

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Annastocks! I moved your suggestion into this one because they are quiet similar. Thank you for posting your suggestion.

Morganette
First Steps

With the increasing popularity of keto and other low carb diets, it’s surprising that this function isn’t available yet. 

If its it’s taking a while to develop, the ability to expand on the pie chart into a more robust chart of the breakdown of the day’s (or whatever timeline) intake. 

It it would also be nice to integrate a kind of hybrid of food/mood tracker to the food log for people doing “process of elimination” diets to try to pin point allergies or intolerances or just generally see how food is affecting them. 

Please dont merge this with the threads about macro tracking that are just the pie chart and % breakdown. It’s  not the same and not enough. 

ItsJustMe3377
First Steps

It would be great to implement this idea. More and more people are turning to the Keto diet and need this information rather than having to track on FitBit and a different app that charges to sync with FitBit.    One of the big reasons I have FitBit is because it is an all-in-one, until now that is.  I need to track net carbs by percentage without having to do it manually.

K--P
First Steps

I strongly agree with this idea of entering our own macronutrients targets and see that is has been under review for 6 months - how long do these reviews take - this idea was first suggested back in Sept of 2015 - please get this going

RedBird8899
First Steps
Yeah I mean its obviously a popular idea that would be really useful and it can’t be that hard to implement when they already have carbs, protein, and fat showing up on the app

"Quand le pouvoir de l'amour vaincra l'amour du pouvoir, le monde connaitra la paix"
140lydia
First Steps

I agree -- currently I need to enter all of my food into MyFitnessPal where I have my macro goals stored. I'd love to have this option on FitBit so that I do not need to write entries twice.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @inmyactivewear.

I will be merging this suggestion to: Allow us to set macronutrient goals and show us full macronutrient breakdowns in app. Be sure to vote for the this suggestion if you have the time.

Thanks for participating!

Kalelover
First Steps

Please update to track macros in grams. Kind of regretting my purchase after learning about macros with no way to track on fit bit app. Tracking meals on two apps is not what I want. 

amyod
First Steps

I just want to be able to specify the percentage of carbohydrates, fats and proteins that I want to have like when you specify the amount of calories you want per day. 

Status changed to: Needs More Info
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @amyod.

In this case, are you referring to setting a specific goal for your macros or only editing what is added?

Look forward to your reply.

amyod
First Steps
Hi, thank you for such a quick reply.

I am talking about setting a goal on your macros for example my personal trainer told me I should be eating 50% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 20% fat.

Thank you,
Amy
HammerFit
Jogger

Yes, please allow us to set goals and view macros as grams. Viewing them as percentages provides no usable benefit. 

Alyson15rod
Jogger

We really need this feature! Please add this to the next FitBit update.  

Need this in order to stay on track with a Keto diet. 

Mrsgibs
Jogger

It would be helpful to be able to set macro % goals in the app as well as a calorie goal. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mrsgibs! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think about having macro % goals in the app.

RunnersHigh
Recovery Runner

The lack of ability to set this, seems to follow the logic that all people have the same macro nutrient requirements. That would be like Fitbit not allowing users to set their steps, activity minutes, etc. because we all have the same fitness goals.  I appreciate the inclusion of the feature, but until users are allowed to set their own unique requirements, it has the feel of a Beta release. 

MichaelDouglas
First Steps

I completely agree that it would be a huge benefit to be able to have goal tracking for the intake of carbs fats and proteins. 

mros6
First Steps

+1  I'd like to be able to set macro goals as well.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.