Barcode Scanner

I'd really like to see a barcode scanner for food entry, like Loseit and MyFitnessPal offer. 

Moderator Edit: Updated label

Collin | Los Angeles, California

One, Charge HR, Aria - Android 5 (Moto X), Mac

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information. Help others while waiting for help!

116 Comments
kss
Stepping Up
Will the food tracking for fitbit ever be updated to include the ability to do bar code scans? It would be much easier to be able to do this right from the fitbit app instead of having to use another app such as my fitness pal.
WUA
Base Runner

Yes! And the ability to log foods for future selection. And a video explaining how to use the food feature on the site, very confusing how it all works

metsnyc
First Steps

i would also love a barcode scanner and a little more detail on my food intake. sodium, sugar, etc. especially sodium and sugar. for the diabetics and high blood pressure people trying to get healthy.

mprague
Base Runner

A barcode scanner would be a great addition. I have been using My Fitness Pal, to enter my food and that would have been fine if they would sync consistently - but that has not been the case!

Collin1000
Premium User
Veteran Runner

There's already a feature request for this at https://community.fitbit.com/t5/App-Features/Barcode-Scanner/idi-p/9687 - make sure to add your votes to it! 

doutri2
Base Runner

I am envious of my friends who follow WW and get to scan foods' bar codes with their phone.  Wish FitBit could do that.

Lasouche
Jogger

I would love a bar code scanner...I've used it with other apps and it's so convenient

NANTZ
Jogger

Bar Code Scanner PLEASE!!!! I still prefer the Fitness Pal food database and the feature of the scanner but would love to be reliant on Fitbit, 100%. Right now, I scan in fitness pal and then manually enter the info into Fitbit...very frustrating!!!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

YES!!!!

CndnSkydiver
Recovery Runner

Yes

EdinburghLass
Tempo Runner

yes please!!

Bones
Jogger

Barcode Scanner is in order

travella6
Stepping Up

Would love to have this feature

33karen03
First Steps

You can link my fitness pal To your fitbit. Do not enter your food on fitbit enter it on my fitness pal. It will transfer everything you eat to your fitbit.

misswright
Premium User
Jogger

Yes please!

Nellc
Recovery Runner

With smart phones in todays world it should be easy to have a barcode scanner as part of the app...... With the ability to store food info into our own countries database.

rcarl01c
Keeping Pace

Would like to see a barcode scanner added. It would be nice to rely on the fit bit only instead of recording everything with fitness pal then syncing.

oodles
Jogger

ability to scan food into program

heatherjones
Jogger
Would it be possible to add a barcode scanning option to the fitbit app. I currently use LoseIt! app to scan and then it populates to fitbit app. Would love to have feature included with your app instead of going back and forth between apps. I am more likely to log my food if I can scan it. Thanks!
jmaciveredwards
First Steps

I am hoping that we might see a bar scanner for foods included in the next release

Briley
Jogger

Voted!  I used to use the free version of FatSecret and loved their barcode scanner feature - so easy.

But...knowing a little about this type of software, the barcodes have to be entered into the database before the scanner would recognize them.  Now, is that something Fitbit would do for us, or would this be user-built over time? If the latter, keep in mind that it will be quite some time before everything you might scan would be in the database.

P.S. FatSecret also had a submenu that allowed you to click on a restaurant to search for food vs. relying on a sitewide search. That was also a nice feature.

Thornton
Jogger

I have been using My Fitness Pal for 1 year now and it syncs great with fitbit and the friends part actually works compared to the worthless friends app with the fitbit. it would be fine if it linked you to some actual stats.

Orchardjoan
Jogger

Don't know how to vote for this feature, but I would like to have it on fitbit not have to use my fitness pall though that is not too bad. 

Briley
Jogger

@Orchardjoan click on the thumbs up icon with the plus sign next to the original post. You'll know your vote counted when you see a check mark instead of a plus sign.

Orchardjoan
Jogger
Have a great day,
Joan rennaker
Joanrennaker@hotmail.com
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.