Barcode Scanner

I'd really like to see a barcode scanner for food entry, like Loseit and MyFitnessPal offer. 

Moderator Edit: Updated label

Collin | Los Angeles, California

One, Charge HR, Aria - Android 5 (Moto X), Mac

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information. Help others while waiting for help!

116 Comments
Boofer
Recovery Runner

And a recipe builder 

braunmel
Jogger

I'm loving my new fitbit and I've been trying hard to log all of the foods and drinks I have each day but I really wish there was a barcode scanner. I often have to go to "myfitnesspal" app, use their barcode scanner, and then manually enter in the nutrition info for a lof of the foods and drinks I have. 

I also find that there are not a lot of food and drink products that show up when I search for an item. For exmaple, I buy a lot of kirkland brand products from Costco and have found I need to enter in almost all of the nutrition info from the products. I wish there was a way that Fitbit could enter in more of a variety of food and drink products. 

Roseman
Recovery Runner

I LOVE the idea! Either that or get al least the major national brands and store chain generics loaded.I do a lot of shopping at Trader Joes and have to enter almost everything myself.

To carry that idea further - a preloading of major national and large regional restaurants would sure be helpful too as like it or not, I have to eat out a lot.

life-spiral
Recovery Runner

Couldn't you just switch to entering your food into the myfitnesspal app and link up your Fitbit and MFP accounts? That way you would have the benefit of the better food database, and Fitbit would still know what you're eating.

LucCeo
First Steps

I second the comments. A Bar Code Scaner to enter food would be very helpful.

ztripp
First Steps

A barcode scanner would be a great idea

gbushnell
Jogger

Fully agree.

ShrinkingNinja
Recovery Runner

Would be nice to not have to use two apps on my phone for this. But syncing myfitnesspal with my fitbit is the way to go for getting your food logged!

Germangirl991
First Steps

Yes please

Status changed to: New
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for the feedback! I'd suggest placing your votes and comments in this existing idea.

I'll go ahead and close this topic so we can keep it all in one place.

socarmela
First Steps

I love this idea! I to am having trouble finding what im eating. Also, I would like to be able to add or minus ingredents from the food, for example, if I go to subway I get more veggies or I minus some condiments on food. It would be nice to custamize instead of looking up each iteam or having to add more calories than you really consume.

socarmela
First Steps

Also noticed some ppl are using myfitnesspal but sometimes im having troble syncing like yesterday it wouldnt sync my dinner for some reason.

Ngancht
Recovery Runner

Folks,

This may not work for all as not all food items have barcodes on them, especially if you buy them fresh from wet markets or directly from farmers, or if you grow them yourself.  Even if most supermarket packages have barcodes printed on the packaging, they just might not contain the correct information of the ingridients.

As for me I am Asian.   All the selectable regional diet items do not usually fit my in take so I have to guess, or even create my own food with approximate information.

Thanks & Best Regards,

T

stadych
First Steps

This is my biggest complaint about fitbit.  I look forward to them updating the app to include a barcode scanner.

Rocky005
Jogger
An idea for the next update.
If you could have a barcode scanner for food like MyFitnessPal does that would make inputting food 10x easier
Thank you!
NohoDrew
Premium User
First Steps

LOVE your app.  And a barcode scanner would be AMAZING!!!

quick1dm
First Steps

Something that I think that you should add in the next update. I have used myfitnesspal app and when counting calories you can scan packages that you can and it makes it so much easier to enter them.

Hope the tip helps 🙂

natspil
First Steps

Yes! I would LOVE this! I honestly really love the platform that MyFitnessPal uses because it also allows you to track your food by protein, calories, sugars, etc.

Jim1959
Recovery Runner

Just going all in with FitBit and was really hoping the bar code scanner was well underway on the development side.  I just last night purchased the scale and up to this point have not been tracking food becuae I have a WW online account and do so there.  WW has the bar code scanner and I note there are a few work arounds here but really this should be something FitBit users have them selves witout having to rely on other applications.  Can someone from the FitBit team update us in the status of the bar code scanner?  Is it on the books?

luvinit
Jogger

I would love to be able to sync with FatSecret since I have a food journal there. I was very surprised at the lack of food reliability with Fitbit.  Please add FS to the apps which can be synced to Fitbit, they are ready on their end, please give us this opportunity, or update your database to at least be as good as theirs.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

you got my vote

Jim1959
Recovery Runner

A ton of feedback on the bar code scanner and a large number of us who track by carbs, protein, fats, and sodium.  These features and many other are true stenghts of the WW prorgram when it comes to tracking food.  It is really the mantra of Weight Watchers.

How about this FItbit.  You get together with WW and link the online food and points data with your system.   No need to segment the market and make people choose.  Let"s work together.  

It would be amazing to see on my Fitbit app that I had 17 daily points and 12 weekly used and then hab the power of Fitbit showing up in WW as I'm entering food for the day letting me know I am 2200 steps from goal.

Am I dreaming or is this the next challenge for Fitbit and WW?

Jrdubyakc
Cross-Country Runner

Just had a bit of buyers remorse as my friend was bragging that scanning food labels was super easy with her Jawbone UP. I want that ability with my Flex please!

Glitzgoddes
First Steps

For the love of god how is this function not already created?  I heard rave reviews about the fitbit software and that is the reason I purchased the Fitbit One and Aria, because I wanted my health tracking to be covered in a one stop shop.   How dissapointing to find I have to access OTHER apps in order to get the functionality that I have become accustomed to in the loseit app. 

Kirb4700
First Steps
How easy would it be to scan the barcode of what your eating. It logs it and you don't have to search so much
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.