Casting Premium workout on TV screen / Devices (Android)

It would be great if one could cast workouts on TV to exercise at home.

Moderator edit: Labels

122 Comments
gingermo
Jogger
I figured out how to use Roku with my Samsung android phone to cast from the fitbit app. On the Roku under settings you can find a casting or mirroring option. On my phone I use Smart View. This works great. When you select a video from the Fitbit app it goes to the TV screen and fills the entire screen. This works great for me. Hope it works for you also.

Ginger

Man has created some lovely dwellings, some soul-stirring literature. He has done much to alleviate physical pain. But he has not ... created a substitute for a sunset, a grove of pines, the music of the winds, the dank smell of the deep forest, or the shy beauty of a wildflower.
Harvey Broome
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

this is on my mind today as well since Apple has now put their fitness app on my Apple TV. I’m not an Apple fitness user, I’m a Fitbit Premium user who wants the Coach videos on my TV now.

Babs_02
Stepping Up

Roku user here.  Would  love easy access to stream videos to my roku TV.

I see some have recommended using some screen share function, but it doesn't work from my phone to the TV.

gingermo
Jogger
In the Roku settings menu there is a screen mirroring/casting option. It takes you through steps to start it. I have a android phone (Samsung) and I use Smart View to connect with the Roku. I imagine that if you have a different type of phone there is something like it that you can use for casting. Good luck!

Man has created some lovely dwellings, some soul-stirring literature. He has done much to alleviate physical pain. But he has not ... created a substitute for a sunset, a grove of pines, the music of the winds, the dank smell of the deep forest, or the shy beauty of a wildflower.
Harvey Broome
Bob_Cat
Jogger

I was going to upgrade from my Charge 3 to the Sense and signed up for the free trial until I do the upgrade this week.  I have always preferred Fitbit to the Apple watch because the dashboard is available on my desktop.  I just assumed that premium workout videos would also be available on my desktop.  Very disappointed that it does not appear to be available.  There is no way I am interested in doing work outs using my phone, how impossible, unbelievable and ineffective.  I am surprised that Fitbit think this is in any way a good customer experience, if anything it is dangerous and sets us up for bad form and injury.  I will be cancelling my premium before the trial ends and will not get the sense.  My Charge 3 screen is barely readable now so now I guess I'll go research a new alternative competitor brand of smartwatch.  What a shame, I really like the dashboard.

carose13
First Steps
I am told that the great variety of video workouts on demand are available only through the app on the phone. It is extremely difficult to take a video class using a tiny phone screen, particularly if reading glasses are required to see. This would be much easier using a laptop. If premium did not come free with my new fitbit I would cancel.
Themob13
First Steps

I don't understand why this isn't a top saught-after feature. Other apps natively support this, like the YouTube app, another alphabet/Google subsidiary. This makes the fitbit app and entire service look lacking basic features and functionality... 

jeffincleveland
First Steps
I completely agree, but they claim it is because not enough people
"officially" submit this as a feature they want. What they don't realize
is that because this feature is not available, they are losing customers.
I mean who is going to fill out a form to request this or vote for it, if
they have already left to find a service that already provides it.

--
*Jeff Johnson *
musicalbanker@gmail.com
L_i_s_a
Stepping Up
I'd like to watch videos on large monitor
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @L_i_s_a, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to cast Premium workout on TV screen. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Bob_Cat
Jogger

I have found a work around since I cannot view videos on my desktop.  It's not how I wanted to do this but I'm using my iPad or iPhone to access Premium Video Workouts and using AirPlay (icon is at the bottom left of iPad/iPhone) and then select my Roku TV.  

OldMan44
First Steps

I am STUNNED that this is not a feature. I just feel like a dummy because I paid for a year of premium and am just finding this out now.  

Brutal, I would not have paid for premium. This is fixed/added soon or I am lost for future sales.   Now I have to go pay MORE money to use a CHROME or something.  

It really is unbelievable.  

mswysiwyg
First Steps

I would like to watch Premium exercise videos on a screen larger than my iPhone. I use my Fitbit app daily but having workouts only available here is a real problem. With my renewal coming up this month, I am not sure I want to spend another year squinting while exercising.  How many requests do you need before you can green light a solution? And if a team can work on the solution, when could we expect to pilot it?

goldas
Jogger

Just a psa that Nike Training Club premium is now free (since the lockdown) and it can be used with your tv. 

https://www.nike.com/help/a/ntc-display-workout-tv

hsoto
First Steps
Thank you! I unfortunately didn’t cancel my Fitbit premium trial in time so paying for a year but never use it because I can NOT workout while looking at my phone. I’ll try the Nike program.

Sent from my iPhone
mswysiwyg
First Steps

Thank you goldas Jogger, I will try the Nike Training Club program.

sqwirk
Recovery Runner

I have a new Fitbit Sense, which came with a trial premium subscription. I was excited because I need to be more active for my stress, mental health, and overall wellness (especially during the pandemic). I'm cutting back on subscriptions due to financial hardship, but I would pay for a Fitbit Premium subscription after my trial if the workouts could be viewed on a TV (e.g. casted to a smart TV or TV with a Chromecast device). I'm guessing Fitbit would have more premium subscribers or keep them around if workouts could be played on a TV.

I can't follow along on my phone for workouts requiring movements that redirect my gaze. I don't want to get injured due to bad form because I'm trying to look at my phone's small display while working out. How has this not been a feature by now? How do people actually use the videos this way?! Seriously, what's the secret? I'm surprised Fitbit even decided to offer workout videos if they can only be viewed on a smartphone.

My premium trial has been a letdown so far because of this. It was something I was looking forward to (beyond the Coach offerings) and it's a useless feature without a way to view the videos on a TV (even a computer screen would be a little better)

sqwirk
Recovery Runner

@OldMan44 Save your money, a Chromecast doesn't help unless they change the app's programming to allow for casting. There is no way to get the videos to play on a TV in the Fitbit app (I have a smart TV and a Chromecast, there's no option). I haven't tried mirroring my phone (Android) to my TV yet, but it can be laggy (based on other playback I've done). That could be an option, and you'd need a Chromecast or a smart TV that allows you to cast to it, but hopefully they program the casting feature in soon.

Babs_02
Stepping Up

After a lot of messing around, I figured out that it takes many many clicks but I was able to get my fitbit workouts to display on my smart TV (roku) from my android phone.

• Turn on the tv
  • Find and start "Smart View" on the phone. 
  • Connect to tv
  • Go to fitbit app and start the workout video.

Lots of fussing, but it works.  Would like it better if it wasn't so complicated.

TommyMuffin
Keeping Pace
I tried casting to the Roku, but it only works on some of the newer
models. Mine is a couple of years old and doesn't support the casting
feature. Too much fuss anyway. I'll use services that have Roku Apps.
psydney
First Steps

@goldas recommended the Nike Training Club app. I downloaded it (for Android) and it looks great, but if you check their instructions for casting videos, you'll see that they tell you to cast your entire screen, not individual videos.

So if you're on Android and you want to watch Fitbit Premium videos on your TV with Chromecast, you can use Nike's instructions to cast your screen and then cast videos from the Fitbit app.

This still isn't an ideal solution because everything on your device (including potentially sensitive information) will be cast to the TV, but it's better than trying to watch workout videos on a phone.

I don't understand why Fitbit even launched Fitbit Premium without built-in casting. It's such an obvious feature, why do we have to beg them for it?

MrKatz
First Steps

I know I am not using my Premium service to it's full potential. 
I mean how can I do dumbell  workouts while holding a phone.  

I made sure the TV in my workout area had casting capabilities.  Came on to suggest a featuire, and see I am not the only one.  
I may have to cancel my premium service since I am not able to fully enjoy it.

rfowlie
Recovery Runner

I so wish I had realized this issue before purchasing Premium. There needs to be a way to cast the workout videos I’m paying for to a larger screen. Trying to follow what seems like tiny exercising ants on my phone screen is just plain ridiculous. Please rectify this! I certainly won’t be renewing if this isn’t fixed. 

Jason4to
Jogger

Now that Fitbit becomes part of Google, the ability of casting the workout video on Chromecast is no longer a "suggestion" from customers, but a "must" requirement.

Come on Fitbit, stop dragging your feet, please just go ahead and fix this issue!

Niki165
First Steps
Please update the app with the ability to play workouts to my TV.
YouTube has the 'Cast' icon, smart TVs have the Apps or streaming devices (Roku/FireStick)
Watching workouts on my phone is difficult - please add Fitbit App to streaming devices or update with a casting option
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.