Challenges not Based on Steps, eg. Sports, Stairs, Active Mins

It would be nice to have different types of challenges that aren't solely based on getting our steps in. 

For instance, the number of active minutes in a day, loss challenge, calories, water consumption. Some activities don't count steps such as cycling, skiing or skateboard.  I would like to be able to compete against my friends while doing other activities.  

Moderator edit: Word choice

1,017 Comments
KathyInce
First Steps

Hi my family and friends have been competing in the work week and weekend challenges but sometimes this doesn't capture a particularly challenging walk up a steep hill.

Could you add a mountain challenge weekday or weekend challenge as this would make it a little more interesting. 

Kathy Ince

RoZen
First Steps

Yes, more different challenges! We need to make sure cycling counts, as well as other very others activities that do not include steps. 

Rolland
First Steps

great ideas above.. also consider non-activity based like sleep over a week/month.. resting hr decrease over a week/month.. water intake.. 

Jusicka
First Steps

It would be great if there were more goal related challenges to compete with friends that walk wayyyy more or less. Example...A challenge for who made their goal the most times that week or who surpassed their goal by the most the entire week. Fun with friends who don't walk as much but still love to play! 

Moderator edit: labels

Gingo4564
First Steps

I would like to suggest adding challenges other then just steps. For example "active minute challenges". And pretty much any other of the tracked items could be turned into challenge. For example I workout a good amount and my girlfriend works in a city and walks everywhere. She has been killing it on the step challenge been when we compare active minutes I ahead. So I think varied challenges would he good.

GetMovingAbby
First Steps

Water intake, sleep, stairs...

Timscoff
First Steps

Calories burned would be great. I love the challenges with friends but I can't participate fully because of problems with my knees. Some challenges based on cycling would be great, link it to Tour de France stages etc.

I only see step challenges and I would like heart rate challenges as that's what I focus on and not steps.

bkirkner
First Steps

While I love doing step challenges with my friends, it bugs me that there are not more challenges related to physical fitness. I love doing cardio, but I hate running. I workout almost everyday, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I am getting a ton of steps while doing it. I am more of a HIIT workout kind of person. 

I would love if there was a challenge related to how much actual working out you get done during the week. For example, heart rate zones, logged activities, active minutes, etc. I want my gym training to count for something because I am still getting fit even if it doesn't mean logging 20k steps each day. 

Selrose
First Steps

Would love to see challenges that have steps,distance and floors 

DavidIrvine
First Steps

Yes Would Love To be able to include other measures of activity or health in challenges. Would be great if they were customizable so you could choose whichever tracker you feel is most appropraite. Also if there was a way of combining these into some sort of score so different measures could be used and compared. I.E. sleep and steps and active minutes.

iSting
Base Runner

@KHodge Yes!  A sleep challenge would be so much fun!

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

As of now, the Fitbit has a handful of challenges, 4 to be exact. Workweek Hustle, Weekend Warrior, Daily Showdown & Goal Day.

Three out of four of these challenges are based on steps. One is attaining all of your set goals for the day. It would be nice to see some new challenges added.

Some suggestions / ideas I have are as follows:

- Floor/Stair Challenges (How many flights of stairs can you get per hour? In a day? For the week? Also, other people can join this challenge to make it more exciting.

- Hourly Activity Challenges (Compete with others on who can attain the most steps per hour. This can be best of 3 hours, 5 hours, 7 hours or even 12 hours. A challenge like this would definitely encourage max stepping per hour).

- Weight Challenges (Who can maintain their weight the best for the week. Another could be who can lose the most over a period of a month. Bodyfat percentage challenges for the week or month.

Note: The Aria scale would have to be utilized by all the competitors).Unique Challenges.jpg

For your consideration.

MasterofNaps
Jogger

Would be a fun challenge to see who gets the best sleep quality 🙂

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

I think if the stopwatch or GPS could be utilized in a challenge, then timed distance challenges/races could then be created.

Several races could be selected, such as the 100m sprint, 200m dash, 400m, 800m, 5km, 10km, etc.

When a specific distance is selected, the race/challenge is activated when the stopwatch starts. The challenge ends when the distance is acquired. The watch would alert you when it is complete.

Set Distances.jpg

To make this idea better, it would be ideal to view the race progress on your smartphone. This is an excellent way to add a little more friendly competition. Scores can be shared with your friends. 

As of now, the GPS can be used to track distance & routes for walking, running & cycling. Let's expand on this feature. 

For your consideration. 

Moderator edit: labels

foggybottomfarm
First Steps

Yes please!! I work out on my Total Gym and don't usually even meet my steps, since my arms don't move during the jogging. I'd love to have workout based challenges!!!

@Lianne393 wrote:

It would be nice to have different types of challenges that aren't solely based on getting our steps in. 

For instance, the number of active minutes in a day. Some activities don't count steps such as cycling, skiing or skateboard.  I would like to be able to compete against my friends while doing other activities.  

Thebse
Jogger

The measurement I would most like to see from the HR measuring devices is "How many heart beats per day" and I would use this as an indicator of how active I was that day.

I know there are charts for HR, but none that I can see that you can get a count of total beats per 24 hours.

Latauti
Jogger

Yesss! Even a sleep most hours, most active minutes etc etc not just steps!!

Latauti
Jogger

Yesss! Even a sleep most hours, etc etc not just steps!!

Lueck767
Tempo Runner
I hope they add something new at least

Sent from my iPhone
Latauti
Jogger

Yesss! Even a sleep most hours, most active minutes, heart rate comp, most stairs climbed etc etc not just steps!! 

RoyB1974
First Steps

Some good ideas. I've asked for the Appalachian trail to be added to adventures and have it a multi player challenge. 

Yasiv
Runner
Definitely! I would love active mins, calories, and who doesn't want sleep!?
Lueck767
Tempo Runner

Agreed. We need more of a variety of challenges / competitions.

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

I completely agree with this challenge. We need stair competitions and other unique challenges, not just step-based ones. I've submitted several adventure / challenge submissions too. Check them out and tell me what you think.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.