Continuous Glucose Monitoring

New blood glucose measuring technology is rapidly advancing with more non-invasive methods looking likely to enter the market this year. As a Type 1 Diabetic it's a real pain (literally sometimes) to have to hurt my finger several times a day to get a glucose reading. One of the new methods of non-invasive glucose monitoring is using a laser to measure the amount of glucose in the blood. http://www.gluco-wise.com/ If Fitbit could somehow integrate similar technology into the wrist watches it could open up a significant revenue stream and also would help improve diabetic glucose monitoring. The benefits of this would be enormous for health departments, particularly in the UK where Diabetes is becoming more prevalent and people are suffering health issues due to poor diabetes management. Also add insulin reminders.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels and Word choice

112 Comments
songbird1329
Strider

Just saw a fitness band that monitors your glucose level and estimates the calories you have consumed.  Can we get this please?

Patentrice
Jogger

A fast heartbeat during sleep might indicate a low blood glucose level. I am diabetic, and wouldn't mind my Fitbit HR waking me up to check.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Interesting idea. However, Fitbit trackers are not intended to provide medical or scientific data.

WillaVenus
First Steps
Log & graph features for blood glucose tracking. I see so many requests for it. What's the hold up?
bav22
First Steps

hello, there should be a new feature where you can see how many calories you have consumed.

QPUDLF
Jogger

Excellent idea!!!

jeffauty
Jogger

This sounds like a great addition.  I was just looking for a way of logging my blood sugar levels taken using the traditional method and I think this would be a good start but if it can be done in a non intrustive continuous way that would be great.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This will be a marvelous addition to the functionality of fit bit. However, even being able to enter and track BG levels by hand onto the dashboard would be an improvement.

bluecrab
Jogger

I too bought my Fitbit specifically to manage my type-2 diabetes (I'm managing it with a low-carb diet and exercise -- no meds!) I'd gladly pay for a device that provides continuous glucose monitoring. As others have said, I'd love to be able to track my blood glucose numbers in my dashboard, I'm currently using a separate app on my phone for that. Would be nice to track everything from one app.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes! Though even a customizable field where BGs could be entered by hand would be an improvement! Adding a blood glucose monitoring function might turn Fitbit into a medical device, which is a whole 'nuther beast.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Really good option! I would like to see it on the Dashboard! Woman Happy

Sneakattack
Jogger

Great option. Also can they add the time the food was eaten in the food tracking log? 

It doesn't need to be automatic to be valuable. Just have a section like they do for tracking blood pressure so us pancreaticly challenged can add our glucose level at the time we test using our monitors. By adding a time feature on the food logging dashboard will allow us to see what and when we ate and then the corresponding glucose level. It would be nice to have data consolidating exercise, diet and glucose levels to track and monitor our health. It doesn't need to go down the slippery slope of a medical device by syncing with a CGM (constant Glucose Monitor). Not all diabetics use CGM's. Almost all diabetics use a basic glucose monitor though. 

MESp
First Steps

I second everyone's thoughts.  I've had mine for 2 weeks and really disappointed a glucose tracker isn't already on the Dashboard.

Frlmusic
Jogger

It's sad that our society is so litigious that tracking my BG by syncing with my CGM (Dexcom) would somehow make this a "medical device." If tracking data makes something a "medical device," then I guess Excel and Word both fit that category!

All of that said, adding a glucose tracker and an option to record/edit the time of any data entry (food, insulin, BG reading, exercise, etc.) would put this program head and shoulders above anything else on the market, particularly for diabetics. 

type2
First Steps

would be great to be able to track BS levels all within the same app as steps/exercise/eating.  other applications do it but then I will need to enter all of my data that is collected from my charge 2

cwp101
Premium User
First Steps

I've been using the Fitbit Charge 2 for about a month and I REALLY like the device and the software (web and Android).  However, it would be nice to have a place to record my blood glucose readings along with the food log.  I'm very impressed with how well the food log works.  Simply adding a field to record the readings by date, time, and reading would be an immense help when integrated into the food log.

Again, I'm not looking for an automated reading through the Charge 2, I'm looking for a way to manually record or import the readings into the Fitbit program.  I'm sure there are others out there who would like to see the same function.

Thanks.

Carmine

bhood800
First Steps

I wholeheartedly agree that BGL monitoring would be an excellent measurement to add.  

Vancam
Stepping Up

Continuous glucose monitoring would be fantastic. For diabetics, as well as people categorized as "pre-diabetic" who are trying to avoid slipping "over the edge" by making changes to their lifestyle & habits. I expect there is a large number of folks in the pre-diabetic boat buying trackers to help learn how/what to change in order to be more healthy. Adding trend info about glucose levels would be especially helpful for these folks as well.

jeffauty
Jogger

I can accept the medical excuse if we were asking Fitbit to measure blood glucose but all diabetics already have such devices, what we asking for is a way of entering and tracking that. I do not understand how that is medical liability issue in anyone's language.

LMcC88
First Steps
I think a lot of people have missed the point of my post here. A CGM is a device which constantly monitors your glucose levels in the blood. Hence giving you 24/7 readings and enabling you to easily see trends. It also serves as an alarm system for oncoming episodes of Hypoglycaemia which can be a life saver for those who have poor hypo awareness. The technology is out there, I'm saying Fitbit could change the game of smart watches if they could incorporate this into the wearable tech. Yes we have methods for measuring blood glucose already but they can be painful and invasive. My fingers get quite tender as a result of 10+ years of finger pricking. Non invasive glucose measuring is the way forward.

Sent from my iPhone
Gonz0
Jogger

I was directed here from the Moderator who noted what I was saying on another thread was similar.  I second these thoughts (or in this case, 15th them) and while I would PAY for a fitbit watch that did all it does AND monitored BGL at the same time without the many lancets piercing my fingers to draw blood, it's not what I was suggesting either.   All I suggested is an app square to enter my BGL so it can be graphed easily and tracked on the same software I am using for the other healthy options of my new regimens.  

Thank you all for being thinking and rational people and coming to these conclusions as well.  Here is to hoping someone at Fitbit sees the profit potentials and agrees with us enough to code the manual option, and eventually construct and market the automated one.  Cheers.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Exactly. I understand fitbit's reluctance to directly measure blood glucose
if that would make the fitbit a medical device. But a square, like the one
for weight, that would simply allow us to record by hand and follow BGs
would be terrific.

Kate Schubert
Frlmusic
Jogger
That's exactly it. No need for the device (Fitbit Charge, etc.) to have
anything to do with it - just like water intake, add a square. If it could
differentiate between long-lasting and fast-acting, that would be lovely,
but if there's a time stamp, that should do - I know when I'd have taken
one or the other!

Frank
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Tgibbons64
First Steps

I keep my blood sugar under control with diet, and liked that my phone's health app was able to track my blood sugar when I tested it.  I was shocked that my fitbit did not come with that option, I just assumed it would, that ability is built in to other apps and has been around for years. That is a big part of keeping fit for many people....and keeping yourself accountable and seeing the correlation between your exercise and diet can help encourage one to keep on track.  I sure hope Fitbit adds this function soon.

Anyone that wants it will click some crazy disclaimer not holding Fitbit responsible for whatever liability they think could happen.

Moderator edit: word choice

vegasrockstar
First Steps

I was just diagnosed Type 2 and bought a Fitbit Charge 2 to help me with my diet and exercise to help reduce my weight. I haven't started using a glucose monitoring system yet because I had heard about the less invasive methods in the pipeline, and in some countries, already in use. I would gladly buy a new Fitbit if it it included that feature - and would probably pay twice what I paid for the Charge 2. I am not the only one I'm sure so maybe the company should start thinking of the extra profit they could be making (and help us out while they are at it)!

EDIT - I guess this is not so important for me personally now - with the aid of my Fitbit, and lots of hard graft and self control, I have lost 34 lbs in 10 weeks and my doctor has just checked my latest bloodtest and I am no longer diabetic! I will still be following my program but it was a great thing to be told!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.