Fallen Detection & Notification App

Recently, I have been thinking about what would occur if I fell down and either could not manage to get myself up or became unconscious whether within my apartment or elsewhere.

The fact is that I could not manage to afford one of those devices that can be used in such cases where emergency responders can be contacted and then be dispatched to the scene.

While in the process of thinking about this type of scenario and what potential options might be with which to address it, what came to mind is about how I already have the technology on my wrist, my Fitbit Charge 3 model fitness tracker smartwatch, that could do just what is needed should something along the above lines ever happen.

What would be required is to include an app within its main app that people with the device could select and program with contact information and the like for if and when something happens, like a fall or other need for assistance or alert 911.

So, with this in mind, I just called Fitbit and provided them with the details of my idea and the person who took my call wrote it up and will be passing along my suggestion for potential consideration.

Am hoping that Fitbit will seriously consider doing something meaningful along these lines. It could help save some lives.

346 Comments
ckelli
Jogger

I agree with you about fall detection.  It’s a great idea and hopefully Fitbit will consider adding this feature.  I am considering getting an apple watch for this feature.

ErikaS06
First Steps

I think it's a great idea.  I purchased a Fitbit Charge for my active 82 year old mother so she could track her workouts.  Yes, she still works out and walks on the treadmill when the weather is bad.  But I worry that one day she may fall and not be near a phone to call someone or may be unconscious and unable to call.  Fall detection in this case would be a tremendous benefit, especially if it could be programmed to call 2 numbers of the users choosing.  They could program it to call 2 family members or 911 and a family member.

Kdcatching
First Steps

Agree! This would be extremely beneficial for the elderly and those of us with balance issues. 

Bonacheeta
First Steps

This is another feature the Apple watch has that I am interested in seeing in the Versa!

Jean_1811
First Steps

Great idea! I belong to a number of horse riding forums and they comment that only apple watch has the fall feature without purchasing a telephone app. It would be great if Fitbit had it as well.....

ephopkins
First Steps

Would love to see this, I have epilepsy and this kind of thing would be a game changer.  Maybe even add an option to the app for Epileptics for abnormal/continuous motion.  Very much considering the apple as well but would prefer the Fitbit.

Carmalee
First Steps

As an equestrian and biker without assurance that Fitbit is planning on including this feature soon, I'll be joining the folks moving to a Samsung Smartwatch as soon as the model with a hard fall detector is released. 

pat3232
First Steps

Great idea and really great for seniors!

Dee58
First Steps

I have an HR Inspire but would so much like to see fall detection on any Fitbit device. I currently wear both my Fitbit and a fall alert device. It would be so nice to be able to just wear one item on my wrist! Any chance Fitbit might have this capability in the future?

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Dee58, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon. You can also check this other suggestion: Alert 911 in case of falling.

LokeAa
Distance Runner

Fall alarm that can call the emergency services. When you run in the woods or the mountains and you are seriously injured and become unconscious, the device automatically calls the emergency services. There are similar ones on the market today.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @LokeAa, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

LokeAa
Distance Runner

Thank you @YojanaFitbit .

I didn't think of adding 911 when i searched..

Have a nice day.

// Loke

pat3232
First Steps

This would be great for senior citizens!

Knot8989
First Steps

A fall detect feature on the fitbits would be awesome for some of us seasoned people.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I have to report that I switched to the Apple watch with the fall detection feature which alerts 911. I have waited for fit bit to offer something comparable, but could no longer wait. Sorry to fitbit to report this, but it was in my best interest.

Mommymoho

Medcom3
First Steps

As someone who lives alone, this would be an excellent feature to add for persons like me.  I enjoy my freedom, but should I fall, this addition would be invaluable.  Thanks.

Gatsby456
First Steps

I am 45 yrs old, in excellent physical health, I also ride horses multiple times a week (thankfully I haven't fallen lately), however, after a hot bath from a sore back last night, I felt faint and dizzy, as I was walking out of the bathroom I almost lost consciousness, I stumbled around, unable to see or speak and couldn't regain my equilibrium and ended up falling down and rolling against a wall, where I think I may of laid there for a minute or so. I was able to fight through it all and get outside to my yard and sit in the cool air. I did take my blood pressure and saw that it was 88/59, dangerously low. Between the hot bath and steam I may of dehydrated myself which led to my BP drop and subsequent fainting or fall. This is the 1st time in my life I've ever had anything like this happen. I also do have neurological sezuires a few times a year. It was terrifying as I live alone. I will absolutely buy whatever fitbit is made to record fall detection and alert ER contacts. Otherwise I'm buying some sort of life alert. It was an absolutely life changing event and scared me to death.

Knot8989
First Steps
Apple has the fall detect on their watch....I am an android person and patiently waiting for fit bit to come thru. 
Gatsby456
First Steps

Unfortunately I had another fainting episode on Monday, while driving which landed me in the ER. Since these situations are new and terrifying, I decided I couldn't wait for Fitbit and I refuse to buy Apple products, so I ordered a Galaxy watch. At the very least, it will be on my arm at all times and if I am alert enough I can dial 911 on it.

Knot8989
First Steps
That's my thought...does the galaxy have the same features as the fit bit....like tracking food, steps, heart rate etc?
Gatsby456
First Steps

I just got it today!! So far it's got wayyyy more than fitbit! It has steps, floors, different workouts (biking, walking, swimming (YES IT'S WATERPROOF!) and you can add your own type of workouts! Yoga and Pilates, weights, stretching,  basically anything! You can track food, water, caffeine, calories, stress, heart rate, there is so much! It plays music, news, it's really incredible. I got a refurbished Galaxy Rose Gold 42 MM LTE for $140.00 on Amazon. The LTE makes calls without having my phone with me so that is why I got it, incase I faint or fall or have some other insane emergency again! So far, it's the best thing since my cell phone, which wasn't near me when I went down Saturday night. I'm in love!

mike3annie
First Steps

Very interested in fall detection.  Think it would be a feature that would attract new Fitbit users.  I like my fitbit 2, but I am searching for a device with fall detection.  Apple is too high in cost and battery life is not like FitBit

Dee58
First Steps
I sure keep hoping they'll come up with something myself!
MichaDowling
First Steps

Disappointed that there was no progress on this and it seems people were begging for it. I rushed into buying the versa 2 thinking these features were standard but was wrong. As my partner has a health issue, and it seems this feature is not being worked on,  i will be forced to look for an alternative. Shame as my partner loves the overall features of the watch. It's just missing a few little important life saving features... 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.