Fallen Detection & Notification App

Recently, I have been thinking about what would occur if I fell down and either could not manage to get myself up or became unconscious whether within my apartment or elsewhere.

The fact is that I could not manage to afford one of those devices that can be used in such cases where emergency responders can be contacted and then be dispatched to the scene.

While in the process of thinking about this type of scenario and what potential options might be with which to address it, what came to mind is about how I already have the technology on my wrist, my Fitbit Charge 3 model fitness tracker smartwatch, that could do just what is needed should something along the above lines ever happen.

What would be required is to include an app within its main app that people with the device could select and program with contact information and the like for if and when something happens, like a fall or other need for assistance or alert 911.

So, with this in mind, I just called Fitbit and provided them with the details of my idea and the person who took my call wrote it up and will be passing along my suggestion for potential consideration.

Am hoping that Fitbit will seriously consider doing something meaningful along these lines. It could help save some lives.

346 Comments
Knot8989
First Steps
Fit bit told me the versa2 would have it in March or April......I am so disappointed.   Apple has it. 
Maerina
Jogger
I just went on and got the Samsung Galaxy smart watch fit 2
VikkiK
Recovery Runner

Yes I actually changed to another brand of fitness tracker/smart watch because it had the fall detection feature. I have hip problems and my daughter wanted me to get a watch that has this feature. The watch is not the Apple watch.

The watch I have sends a text message to nominated contacts and does not have cellular connection like Apple watch so it can't make calls. I can't see why Fitbit can't do the same and be able to send a text message.

The watch I have is inaccurate with heart rate that's why I'm looking at Fitbit again.

morganbrown
Jogger

Understood. Good to know. Yeah, my sister is interested in getting a smartwatch and was looking at Fitbit Charge or other models, but is interested in having fall detection as well as other features that Fitbit models don't appear to currently have available, so is now looking elsewhere. Too bad, particularly given that it appears the newer Fitbit Charge 4 model does not include either fall detection or certain other features which can be found in competing brands of smartwatches. One would think that it should, because I might have considered buying one. Now, if I decide to upgrade, I might be shopping elsewhere as well.

Letarae1
First Steps

i think a fall detection is a great addition to Fitbit and would same lives.  You would be a savior in the senior market.  There are so many seniors who use Fitbit and want to be independent and are active.  I have a chronic neurological disease.  I do things where I am alone but one of the issues I have is the potential of falling and if I do, and am alone, I can't get up by myself.  I need to crawl to something that I can use to help pull me up or wait for someone to come home.  Fitbit would be a life saver.  Please consider it.

Knot8989
First Steps
I totally agree with the fall detect alert.   They are missing the mark by not having it.  Apple does, but I am a droid person and am not willing to change just yet. 
Violet Gizdic
Letarae1
First Steps
Actually, and sadly. I love my Fitbit but my children keep telling me I need a fall detection. I don’t live alone but I go camping alone and sometimes go other places. Samsung Galaxy 3 watch has a fall detection that can be downloaded. I haven’t tried it yet (thankfully) but I’m ready if I do fall. It will call the kids but also 911 if I don’t respond.

Sad that Fitbit isn’t on board with this yet. I hated to get rid of my Fitbit.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
DMNifty
First Steps
Sudden fall alert with provision to call emergency number or contacts. On Versa or Iconic
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @DMNifty, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see a fallen detection to alert 911 on the Fitbit app. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Knot8989
First Steps
Please hurry....I would love this option.   I love my fit bit.
Maerina
Jogger
I gave up waiting and just switched to smart watch with the fall protection. It is a 3rd party app. But I guess no watch it self has to have the ability to detect vibrations in such as in a fall to alert the app.
Rose2489
First Steps

Samsung is finally coming out with a new watch with a fall detector.  I will probably be switching to that instead of buying a new Fitbit watch which was in my plans.  Better than having to go to an Apple watch (which already has fall detector) plus changing to an Iphone. 

honeypudd
Jogger
Am at a loss as to why Fitbit still hasn’t added fall detection to their premium devices. Will this be added in the future?
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @honeypudd , thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see Fallen Detection on Fitbit devices. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

honeypudd
Jogger

A lot of people have been asking for fall detection. I wish someone would state if it’s likely to be an option in the next 12 months. 

Knot8989
First Steps
Originally it was to be release the end of march 2020.....then the pandemic hit. 
honeypudd
Jogger

So it’s definitely on the cards? Or planned for testing? Knot8989 where did you hear / see this please? 

rickismom
Recovery Runner

I just suggested something like this to fitbit.  If this is not implemented , I may be tempted to switch. As a widdow living on my own, with 4 steps in the middle of the house, I really would like that reassurance.

Jokraski
First Steps
There should be either a button to push or just an automatic alert that goes out to people of your choice if u are having an emergency.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Jokraski, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see Fallen Detection & Notification App. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Knot8989
First Steps
I've been asking for this since Jan 2020 after I had my stroke and fell.   Originallly it was to be available the endo of March ...welll COVID happened and nothing else is happening. 

Violet vgizdic@aol.com
WW46
First Steps
An option that would alert an emergency contact that a person has fallen and may need assistance.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @WW46, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see Fallen Detection & Notification App on the Fitbit app. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

bobby2478
Tempo Runner

adding to the requests for this, nearly all Fitbit competitors either have or are implementing a feature like this as both Apple and Samsung have Hard Fall detection capabilities. Hopefully Fitbit adds this to the Sense and Versa 3 as well as rolling out to legacy devices provided they have hardware to support it.

JuanHovnik
First Steps
That watch would be able to call emergancy when it detects hard fall...
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.