Friends VS Feed Customizable Navigation

It appears many of us have zero or little interest in the new Community Feed, but a lot of interest in our Friends progress. As a result many find the need to now have to perform multiple taps every time the app is reopened to get to our Friends extremely annoying. Either please change the default to show Friends first (as it was previously) upon launching the app or provide the user with a setting option to allow us to choose which opens first. 

Mod edit: added label

143 Comments
Cjbarc
First Steps

Please improve you friend section. Seeing updates on friends throughout the day in a feed, similar to the Jawbone app, is more motivating than just seeing a 7 day total. You are lacking there, other than that, your app is better.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

vegar_m
Jogger

I must agree with you. To only see a 7-days update it's not too motivating. Fitbit and the connectivity with friends should help you get motivated to be more active. To share, motivate each other, etc. 
If you have a look at the app activity.club, they uses points instead of only steps. They convert different kind of activities to points, to make it more fair. If you compete with a friend who is not running, but is using the bike all the time, steps is not a fair way to show who is most active. 

Also it would be great to receive push notifications when you pass someone, and if you get passed by someone, to help you keep going throughout the day.

kaisle
First Steps
Great idea, I would love a feed like this. Seeing their ongoing step count would be great, even outside of challenges.
CAPTN_JONNY
Recovery Runner
Great idea. I think the friend section is very poor on detail.
pr1ncess
First Steps
Agreed; I was about to raise my own request for daily friend stats/friend stats in real time when I saw this thread. I'd also like to share badges and trophies via the app and not just email/SMS. I'm using the Alta btw. Thanks!
Buffyg2
Jogger
Having just switched over from Jawbone, I too was disappointed in the "friends" section of the Fitbit app. A 7-day total is completely useless. I think a daily step total that updates throughout the day makes way more sense. It would be a lot more motivating.
ksalaets
Recovery Runner

Absolutely agree, MBiedz.  Before, it was a breeze to switch between the dashboard and friends screen.  You could do it one-handed while on the move.  Now, you have to click "Community" at the bottom and either awkwardly maneuver your hand to click the "Friends" tab at the top or else use two hands.  Makes you wonder if Fitbit made this annoying change without consulting the UX team - and definitely not their users.

Also agree that they should at least allow users to choose the default tab.

Cheers,   Ken (not a recovery runner - not even certain what that is!)

Blake
Recovery Runner

With the most recent app update, we got community (I think it used to be friends).  When you tap it, it defaults to "Feed".  I then have to tap over to friends to see how I am doing (crushing them as usual) compared to them.  I would much rather this be the first thing displayed when we tap community.  Is it possible to change that?

Mod edit: updated label

RobinPatton
First Steps

Also agree.  This is a very annoying feature.  

TKfitness
Jogger

The new COMMUNITY area has FEED. FRIENDS and GROUPS as tabs at top....could we have them MOVABLE like the dashboard page, to be able to put what we want as the default vs what was auto-decided...If I want to choose feed or groups I will click to them, I use FRIENDS multiple times daily - pain to have to click to it vs being able to have it where I want it 

Mod edit: added label

someoneinsf
First Steps

The iOS app is not very efficient. If I've closed/quit the app and open it again, it's frustrating to click from Community > Feed to Friends. If I pick Friends, then I'd like it to be selected every time I switch to Community. It seems I have to be inundated with the Feed before I can look at my friends stats. Not really into the feed as much as I am about where I am with friends. Notifications within the app itself are annoying. Seems like there's more clutter I'm not interested in using lately.

Mod edit: updated label

PhotagHospel
First Steps

I totally agree!  I don't like FitBit deciding that the "community" is more important than my "friends" and removing it from the home screen.

TKfitness
Jogger

Yes! That to be movable so we can decide what we would like 'first' and thus creating less clicking...AND to give us a choice of whether we would like the red notifications on or off...for some they are great motivators..and for others...a distraction / feels like homework, one other thing I need to go in and clear out/off 

@TKfitness wrote:

The new COMMUNITY area has FEED. FRIENDS and GROUPS as tabs at top....could we have them MOVABLE like the dashboard page, to be able to put what we want as the default vs what was auto-decided...If I want to choose feed or groups I will click to them, I use FRIENDS multiple times daily - pain to have to click to it vs being able to have it where I want it 

BK_Boston
Jogger

feature I'm requesting is to default to friends on the community link on the iOS app

Mod edit: updated label

BrettCava
Recovery Runner

Agreed, this new Feed tab is annoying and a waste of time for those not interested in the inane comments of others.  Just let us see our Friends again.  "If it aint broke, dont fix it" is a phrase that comes to mind! Or is this a not so subtle attempt to make Fitbit a fitness Facebook?

Beaglemommy
Recovery Runner

BrettCava, exactly what I thought, Fitbit is trying to be Facebook.  This last App update is extremely annoying in many ways.  I've been a customer for over 10 years and now I'm looking into another exercise device.  

sbmintz
First Steps

I completely agree and am relieved to know other Fitbitters also dislike this new Community Feed feature. All I want to do is check my average steps and those of my Friends--not the latest yoga poses of strangers! How can we delete this, or subordinate its presence on the app? 

Qyn
First Steps

Please don't force us to see community news feeds first when we click on the tab that used to be our friends. My preferred community is my list of friends and not any that is on the news feed. Please make this section customizable so that when I click on it, I can see my friends list first. I'm not interested in other communities.

Moderator edit: Added labels

E85
First Steps

Super annoying feature.  

I'm only interested in comparing with my friends and doesn't care about the Feed at all. 

Pburg398
First Steps

Hate the community feed.  

merelee
Recovery Runner

I agree. Please update to allow an option to disable the feed. 

BrettCava
Recovery Runner
Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Other than "Dashboard", the Fitbit page that I most often access on my iPhone is "Friends", both to see my week step count and to see how I'm doing versus my competitive companions.  There used to be a tab at he bottom of the screen.  Now, it is buried under "Community".  Worse, even though I continually select the "Friends" sub-tab, it continually defaults to "Feed".  Please either, once again, make the "Friends" page a primary tab at the bottom of the screen, or at least let us make it the default when we select "Community", rather than always defaulting to "Feed".  Thank you.

Totally agree!  I don't know anyone who uses "Feed", but all my friends use the "Friends" page regularly.

Pburg398
First Steps
Hate the community tab. Only want to see results and comments from Friends I select.

Liz White
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.