Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
inoki
Walker

I would like this function as well.

If it is difficult, fitbit application may do same function.

Bosco_HongKong
Stepping Up

I would suggest this feature in another fashion. That is to trigger the silent alarm when a pre-determinbed HR rate exceeds a pre-determined duration in "exercise mode"

If I set the HR to be 125 and duration of 5 seconds. Then the tracker can set off silent alarm if the detected HR rate exceeds 125 for more than 5 seconds. This can alert me to slow down from pushing myself over the limit. This can be a handy safety feature without checking the tracker all the time during exercise.

rustyrobot
First Steps
It's really must have feature which many other devices provide, the reason is in many countries you have to wear warm clothes to run and it becomes impossible to check your heart rate during workout.
fotomaf
Keeping Pace

Will be great for Run mode in my Surge... 

Vibrate wgen you are too low or too high

please!

fotomaf
Keeping Pace

great idea!

bandaid
First Steps

I'm amazed the Fitbit Surge doesn't have heart rate alarms. It's a basic, standard, and incredibly useful feature.

1 vote here.

alexi
Jogger
Add my vote for heart rate "alarm".....with user configurable thresholds or at least tied to custom heart rate zones (that currently seem pretty useless)
alexi
Jogger
Should tie this into app so that you could get spoken notification during workout....as in breaking into the music you're listening to in order to let you know when your heart rate is over or under ...or whatever you want
Chatt13
First Steps
I've seen some posts about this but couldn't find a post in the Feature Request to vote on. Would really like a heart rate alarm for when your heart rate gets to a certain level. So maybe a suggested alarm and a custom setting alarm.
Landy
Recovery Runner

This would be good for Heart Rate training, so being able to set minimum and maximum heart rate values with the watch notifiying you once you drop below or rise above those values.

Great idea Chatt!

danneskjold
Jogger
I've had similar ideas and think the heart rate alarm is a great idea. The heart rate functions are under emphasized in the greatest capabilities of the surge. I don't have heart issues and I'd like to keep it that way. Here is my ideas. I’ve had my Fitbit Surge for 2 months now and I really like the features and I’ve had no (significant) difficulty with the device or the app. There are a few features associated with the Heart Rate monitor that I think are possible within the current design. I’d like to hear people’s thoughts. I’d like to be able to print the daily heart rate logs, similar to what is available on the Dashboard. The Dashboard heart rate logs show 5 minute averages, (that’s fine for managing your workouts) but I’d like to also see peak heart rate. It would be cool if you could set a peak heart rate alert. Ex. If your heart rate exceeds a set value the Surge could provide a vibration alert, and retain a log of the heart rate event. This could be used as a training aid to indicate to the wearer that they have reached their desired heart rate for a cardio exercise or as a precautionary alert for a person who needs to limit excessive heart rate. (This is a feature I’d really like to see and would add value to the product). Let me know what you think.
scholl
Base Runner

Oooh - this would make me want to upgrade from my one even more! Yes please!

ariffsuffian
First Steps

I think a great feature that some heart rate monitors have is the ability to set the maximum and minimum HR of the person and have the wearable notify (sound or vibration) the user on the event. This would be helpful for anyone with a heart condition such as my dad. His current HR monitor watch, Polar I think, has this feature. Dissapointed that the Charge HR does not implement this feature. Not everyone who purchases the Fitbit is young and living an extremely active life. It could be handy for elderly people ensure that they are staying active and monitoring their HR. The feature I'm suggesting could be the difference between life and death. Honestly, think of how useful it is if they can know they're reaching their maximum or minimum. They could notify someone in time before something happens. Please make this a feature!

ntw671
Jogger

I have recently begun training for an endurance race.  Part of the recommended training is to exercise with your heart rate sitting in a specific zone for extended periods of time.  Right now, I have to constantly click the button on my Charge HR to check my heart rate to see if I'm above or below my target zone.  Just modifying to give me the option of a vibration each time I pass up or down through zone thresholds would be extremely helpful in my training.  If you're really looking to improve the product, make it so this option can also be auto turned on when I hold the button to record my workout and auto turned off when I deactivate the recording.  This can really help move the Fitbit Charge HR from a passive recorder of information and into a value adding training product.

Landy
Recovery Runner
This is exactly what I've been thinking ntw671. The Garmin forerunner products already do these functions rather well, it'd be fantastic if they could be incorporated asking with the virtual partner feature which would be a great training aid for both running and biking.
techri
Jogger

Having AFIB, it would be nice to have a feature where it would alert me if i go into AFIB.

It would need to be detecting a pulse rate irregularity. when i'm in afib i can be at 238 bpm. or 90 then 140 then back to 90 in a few seconds. When its bad I can tell but there are times when i just feel crappy and can't push at the gym. These are the times i need to know that I should stop if its afib.

Also there would need to be an audible or sensory alert generated

burninMedic
First Steps
I would love it. Ecpecially for hi and lows..maybe be able to manually enter your values.
Tiny-old-boy
Stepping Up

The lower limit vibration could also be used for relaxation therapy and training, by having the lower limit give three two or 1 short vibration sequence depending on how much below or how close you are to your Target Heart Rate. With controllable limits set by user. eg as you approach you upper limit you would get a stimulation at 10 beats below, and double at 5 beats below and tripple at target or above, On the bottom end a tripple vibration at bottom end, double at 3-5 beats below and single at 6-10 beats below. This would not work for sleep mode, but would work for therapy.

Mjansson72
Jogger
I would also like this feature for pacing ME/CFS and stress related diseases.
sebastian___
Jogger

I always wanted alarms or alerts for certain HR thresholds.

PierrePedro
Jogger
Hi guys

how about a Heart Beat Vibrating Alert..with customizable thresold.
like if it goes above x (lets say 100) it vibrates telling me i'm stressed and need to cool down..chillout and take it easy 😉

how about multiple thresolds...

cheers
Pierre
Palmal
Recovery Runner
I vote for this feature. It is something what is really missing ... And some important competitors have nice solution (like Mio Fuse).
Buttwad
Stepping Up
Nice idea
Palmal
Recovery Runner
Honestly, I thought that with the continual HR monitoring its pretty cleare that users want to be informed where they actually are. I was quite dissapointed when realized that Charge HR do not have the HR zone alarm. But I very much believe that with next version of firmware It will be introduced ......!
Lauraspen
First Steps
This is exactly what I want from the device. I'm currently deciding between the Mio alpha 2 and the Fitbit charge HR. I would prefer to get the Fitbit as it does more than just HR and has better battery if you're using continuous HR monitoring BUT the fact it doesn't have any form of alert when you change HR zone is make or break for me.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.