Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
Lauraspen
First Steps
Love to see this, would be great if they implemented
Laf53
Premium User
Recovery Runner

I'd like to have a HR zone alarm for my workouts. My Surge (or Charge HR) will vibrate when I'm going out of the set heart rate zone defined for my workout. I think it is just a matter of selecting in which HR zone (Fat burn or Cardio or above) you'd like to exercise then the watch will vibrate once or twice when you get out of zone. For those like me that exercise outside - running most of the time - it would be helpful to avoid watching your watch to know if you're out or into zone and for interval training you'd be alerted when your HR went back down enough to start the next speed interval.

Fisherman65
First Steps

Fantastic Idea, this is what I was wanting too.  A formula for the heartbeat maximum calcuation is 220-(age).  Be great to have this vibrate when you reach it.

Cheers

Zii
Jogger
If anyone in Fitbit is listening. Yes please here.
Zii
Jogger
Dear Fitbit. Please pay attention to reasonable and sensible requests from your users. Especially when they improve the product and make the service more useful. +1 here. And allow us to adjust all the zones already... or at least input a max heart rate and all zones recalculated.
annabelg
First Steps

It would be a great help to have a vibration alarm when heart rate reaches a pre-set level. I have a health condition that requires me to keep my heart rate under a certain level and it would be a great to have a bit more help keeping an eye on this. 

feehowell
Recovery Runner

I love my Surge watch and have worn it constantly for over four months now. One added feature I would love is a warning that location of the heartbeat has been lost. Some type of a vibration. At least I will know to try and fix it.

This happens every now and again when I'm working out. I've tried all sorts of suggestions. Wear it higher, lower, looser, tighter and wiggling it to get a better position. It's very noticeable when I'm on a spin bike but that may only be because I can look at my iPhone constantly.

Also it would be really good if this situation can be looked at for the next model.

Fezsan
Jogger
The Max heart rate is automatically set on the Surge during setup; 220-your age.

Can we have a option that allows the Surge to vibrate / alert when we have reached or exceeded the max heart rate,

In the past my heart rate can go over 200 bom, and having a vibrate reminder to slow down would be invaluable.

Thank you
CodePoetry
First Steps

I was guided here just before posting the same issue.

This feature must be one of most important for me and futher customers. I would really like you to develop this or at least tell me how to self-develop this with API in my own Android application. I'm really wondering the way in Android.

Kathrin_s
First Steps
I totally agree
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It seems like this really wouldn't be too difficult to add, since the Surge and the Charge HR can alert you if you hit 10K steps or if you have an incoming call. This would be great for those of us that need to watch are heart rate when we are exercising. Thanks for suggesting!

gks12345
First Steps

I am 55 yrs old, and recently exceeded my max heart rate for too long during a long distance run, and was hospitalized for "excessive stress" to my heart.  I have been a runner 30+ years. This is my 3rd Fitbit, and I bought this one to keep better tabs on my heart. 

Having option that allows Surge HR to alert or vibrate when max heart rate is reached would be tremendous!!!  A reminder to slow down when reaching max HR would be great!

Pinklillypops
Jogger

So has fitbit looked at this suggestion yet? we need this! 😊

Fezsan
Jogger

With 5.5 million Americans and 3.5 million Brits with irregular heart beat and estimates millions who don't know, they are potentially at risk from blood clots and stroke.

I've been a football (soccer) referee for 10 years running 8-10! Miles a game, always thought I was fit. Only to be told by my doctor that I have an irregular heart beat. And no more exercise. I've 3 heart ops to try to sort this out.

If the FitBit Surge could monitor the times between heart beats say during rearing periods ( similar to the way resting heart rate is calculated) and alert the wearer. This could potentially save millions of lives.

I was lucky that my doctor spotted it in me, there are millions who just don't know.

ShahG
First Steps
I have a firmwear suggestion concerning heart rate monitoring.
When training I like to train in Specific heart rate zone but find the constant need to tap my Fitbit HR or look at my phone a unneeded interruption when running.
It would be great if the user could input a desired heart range eg 140-150. And when exceeding it would notify you when you have reached the your heart rate zone . Also if it would notify me when I have exceeded the limit or gone under my minimum. This would be a great addition I believe to the software.
sopkogil
First Steps

Please look into making this update.  I hate having to wear my old garmin in order to have this functionality while i am also trying to wear my fitbit... Part of why I got this is so I would have everything in one palce...

Fezsan
Jogger

I would like to see a screen that constantly displays the Max Heart Rate Percentage, without the need to press any screen / buttons etc.

We all know the commonly used formula for max heart rate [MHR] : 220 - your age. 

So:

•  a 50 year old would have a MHR of 170
  •  a 25 year old would have a MHR of 195

When running and you looked at your Surge Watch and saw 62% on the screen, you would know you are ok. Around 100 bpm. However at 98% your heart is beating really fast.  

At this point you would have been alerted by the watch buzzing as you enter Zone 3. A quick glance shows 98 so its time to slow down  [a bit, depending on age].

MHR 62%MHR98.jpg

It is so much easier to look at your watch while running and see TWO LARGE numbers showing how hard your heart is working. If there were 3 digits the font would be smaller and more difficult to see.

Zone Buzzing

It would be great if you could add alerts when you have moved to zone 1, 2 or 3 and an alert if over 100% for a customisiable period of time; minute, 5 minutes, 10 etc.

• One buzz when moved into Zone 1
  • Two buzzes when moved into Zone 2
  • Three buzzes when moved into Zone 3
  • Four frantic buzzes if over 100% MHR [after set period]

Zone 1-3 and Over MHR would be customisiable and could be switched off if desired.

I've created the following graph to help people understand how Max Heart Rate compares with actual Heart Rates.

MHR all

The graph shown above-right is of a person of 25. So with a MHR of 70 would be 137 bpm. 

Jaerue
First Steps
A short buzz or alarm setting you can turn on when you reach or exceed a certain heart rate zone so a person can passively monitor what zone they are in and stay in it as long as possible even when just doing normal daily activities. Perhaps a single buzz when you achieve the selected zone and a double buzz when you fall below or exceed that zone.
Fezsan
Jogger
subman638
First Steps

I would not have bought my Charge HR if I had realized this feature didn't exist.  It's just logical.  Looking for alternatives.

RoyceR
First Steps
Many train to a certain heart rate. Would be great to be able to set an alarm instead of constantly having to check my Surge to see where my rate. Love my Surge. Wear and use it daily.
chriswhite
First Steps

I agree with the other post suggestions, that the fit bit HR would be more beneficial if there is a heart rate alarm. We bought the fitbit HR for the heart monitoring feature. So my wife heart implant wont shock her, as long as she keeps her heart rate below 200. She loves having the fitbit.   

lmdilligaf
First Steps

Agreed.

I'd like to be alerted (vibration) when my heart rate goes above my custom heart rate so that i can manage my optimun areobic heart rate, when i'm exercising.

@PierrePedro wrote:
Hi guys

how about a Heart Beat Vibrating Alert..with customizable thresold.
like if it goes above x (lets say 100) it vibrates telling me i'm stressed and need to cool down..chillout and take it easy 😉

how about multiple thresolds...

cheers
Pierre

SumitP
Jogger

While running on the treadmill, every now and then I keep tapping Charge HR to check my HR Zone, how about a vibration alarm when ever we switch HR zone.

AlexKahler
Recovery Runner

Yes - we definetely need this! I found myself keep having to stop up and check my Charge HR to see if I'm overexerting myself when I'm exercising.. Could be really nice with a simple vibration and the screen lights up to show you your heart rate when entering or leaving a heart rate zone.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.