Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
tonyc2015
Jogger
Would be nice to have a voice or vibration notification whenever we go in and out of peak heart rate zone
Kampkand
First Steps
So this is my idea, to have the HR vibrate as you enter and exit different heart rate zones. I run and it is very difficult to tell which zone I'm in while running. I can't look at my Fitbit while running, you just can't see it and it messes up my pace, but I would like to try and stay in a particular zone when I'm running.
ShaneC
First Steps

This is just so obvious that I am astounded it wasn't included. Fitness watches have had this functionality for ever. It shouldn't be too hard, the notifications function already exists they just need to link it to the heart rate zones.

Resi
Jogger
Hi, may I suggest a new feature for charge HR? When we reach the cardio hr window an alarm or something will warn us? And when we drop out of the zone? It would help during cardio training sessions. The display heart position is a great start but a sounbd/vibration would be best.
Thanks, Resi
ergie03
Jogger

Heart rate monitoring is not only for athletes. Many people are interested in 24/7 monitoring. I am looking for the feature to monitor for 24 hours a day and send alerts directly when the heart rate is above the zone you set. realtime!

(For example, I have a Netatmo weatherstation. When its raining in my backyard, I get a notification on my Iphone)

I wonder if more fitbit members have the same wish....

Leaschatzlein
First Steps
I love my Fitbit Charge HR.
The most important part to me is the heart rate information. I love to know when I worked out hard and when I worked out really hard. The tracking shows improvement data which is very motivating.

I recently became pregnant and doctors recommend not exceeding 140 bpm. But when I'm really into a good workout there is no way I'm going to stop and check if I'm working to hard. This got me to thinking.

Would it be possible to set the alert function (instead of steps or calories) to Target heart rate achieved.

This would be great for high level athletes trying to make sure they are into the 90% range and help people with restrictions be warned they are reaching the upper limit.

This would be my all time favorite software update. Please please Make this happen. I know it will be a hit.

Thank you so much for taking the time to acknowledge my idea.

Ps if you could also put out a blue charge HR band I would love that too.
Vladi
Jogger

This definitely should work in both workout and non-workout mode. While the workout mode is well described in the previous suggestions, for the non-workout it should be just adjustable threshold level when the alarm starts with an ability to snooze it.

This could save a lot of lives because people can exceed their allowed heart rate level just because of strong uncontrolled emotions. One would prefer to have a signal from the watch if she is getting too emotional, so she could immediately get herself under control.

zvjer
Base Runner

This is a good proposal! I'm one of those runners who can't to exercise properly but always pushes beyond limits and therefore makes a terrible exercise. It would be fantastic if we could set the tracker in such a exercise mode that it would help us stay in the right zone during workout. If the heart rate goes over 170 for example it would vibrate and display slow down. If the heart rate goes below 150 it would vibrate and say speed up.

Pacemaker2
First Steps

I have a pacemaker with a maximum setting. When i'm exercising and reach the maximum the pacemaker shuts me down! It would be very useful to have the HR vibrate before I reach that maximum when exercising. Great idea.

krozenuk
First Steps

I know that resting heart rate is used by athlets and I know it is important, but to someone with heart troubles it is more important to monitor my high/max heart rate while exercising as this can be an indication of recurring problems. My suggestion is that if you could maybe make it a choice on our settings, those that want resting chose it and those that want max they chose that. I hope it makes sense, it does in my head but i am not so sure when I typre it out. Thanks Kathy Rozenuk

DcTurner
First Steps

I expected this functionality to already be present in the Charge HR as it is a key component of an exercise heart rate monitor. I would love to see heart rate zone alerts introduced in a future update, or at least exposing the relevant data in the Fitbit API. Loving the product so far, good luck with future updates 🙂

ahschuster
First Steps

I also agree.  Having a vibration that tells you when you've gone beyond your target heart rate would be fantastic! 

Sally_K
Runner

Agreed!!! It's very difficult to constantly be tapping the HR to get the current zone level and run or bike. The quick view option and or a notification would help us to stay on track. My Polar did this as do most HR bands. I didn't realize Fitbit neglected to include this basic function.

Ccjjdd
First Steps

In exercise mode, it would be nice if the fitbit charge HR would notify you when You hit your max heart rate (which could be the custom heart rate entered online).

Moderator edit: added labels 

RoxanaG
Jogger

Yep, that's my idea too 🙂

HR monitoring: the software is already automatically dividing HR in 3 zones. Why not set an alarm for when it transitions from one zone to another? E.g. 2 short vibrations when it's transitioning to lower HR zone, 3 vibrations when it's transitioning to higher HR zone and 5 vibrations when it's exceeding the maximum recommended HR. Also the users should be allowed to choose whether to use this feature only while in exercise mode, all the time, or neve

allsteve
First Steps

Any updates on this?

Similar to https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/During-quot-workouts-quot-there-should-be-an-option...

Disapointing to see that this idea is 8 months old 😞

PaulEmery
First Steps
This would be particularly useful if the heart rate max could be customised for example to notify you when you hit your aerobic max and to carry on vibrating until you drop below it again. Knowing when you're exercising aerobically or anaerobically is kinda the point of having a heart rate monitor.
PaulEmery
First Steps
Totally agree. I'm due to have a fitness test in a few weeks to work out my aerobic max. It should be possible to set a notification to tell me when I'm in anaerobic exercise zone and need to slow down as others have explained . This feature is an absolute must and surely not difficult to program.
Papahart
First Steps

This is a High Priority need!  A Health Risk!

This change needs to be made on the Charge HR as well as the Surge.  An Alert and Display should show when the heartbeat is irregular.  All the info needed to determine this is already taken.

A wearer needs to slow down and rest when in Atrial Fibrillation rather than continuing to stress the heart even if the pace of activity doesn't raise the heart rate into the next higher range.

Please make this change and distribute it for all users of Charge HR and Surge ASAP.

Wouldn't it be a shame for anyone to die from this when it could have been brought to their attention in time to do something about it?

GregorEAU
Jogger
Realising that fitbit is probably not targetting the super athelete market, where interval training based on hr is a common training method, but to add this feature would definitely be handy. A basic alarm either throught the device or via the phone app would be helpful as a transition to super athelete functionality.
BlazeHelm
Jogger
Agreed. Being able to determine heart rate is the reason I got the Charge HR, but getting the information out of it is a challenge. A warning as described above would be hugely beneficial
BlazeHelm
Jogger

New user with a Charge HR. I'm amazed the device doesn't offer this basic functionality....surely not difficult to implement

kicksev
Keeping Pace

It would be nice to be able to select the hartrate shown as quickview, so whenever you just look at the Charge HR, you will see your hartrate

rovirovi
First Steps

agree, need HR alarm. Also, could we have an option to enable the display to stay on continuously (maybe for 5 or 10 mins) without having to push the button/tap again? Granted this would use up the battery quickly but would make the HR monitor much more relevant for training (eg hill/stair sprints). 

both these ideas seem like they'd be possible as software upgrades.

janedoe2
Jogger

+1 BUMP

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.