Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
Runner0001
Recovery Runner

Matt,

It doesn't, but:

If you tap the screen after starting your run you can easily see your heartrate as you run. Yeah, I agree zone alarms would be great, but until then....

GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
This only works if you¹re running in the dark or on a very overcast day.
Runner0001
Recovery Runner

Georgie,

Might be time for a new one. My old HR2 can easily be seen in the sun. Do they fade over time?

GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
The Fitbit Charge 2 screen cannot be read on a vaguely sunny day. Not to
mention having to press the button or tap the screen a few times which
always slows a runner down.
Runner0001
Recovery Runner

My experience is different. I tap the face before i start. It eats up almost one and a half seconds but i quickly make up for it.

Krugerak
First Steps

This feature is also helpful for individuals suffering from anxiety. If they could be notified when their heart rate is too high, it would be a reminder to take a break and manage their stress and anxiety.

Apple provides this feature. Fitbit needs to provide this feature to stay competitive, espcially as so many people are suffering from stress and anxiety issues.

DaveBorlase
Jogger

A very valid point.  Fitbit are not being clever.

Slowlydoesit
First Steps

Hey thanks for taking the time to build the paid-for premium features in the meantime, rather than investing the half day of developer effort it would take to add an alarm to the live view of my heart rate.

The mindfulness tools in the premium pack look like they could be very helpful.

What would calm my mind even more though would be not spending another Christmas constantly checking my wrist to make sure I don’t crash  whilst trying to enjoy time with my kids.

kj2006
First Steps

Can't believe it's been a more than a year since this was requested and fitbit has still not added this. Such a shame on their devs..

GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
They don¹t care about old customers. Ensuring we¹re always Fitbit users is
not in their master plan it would seem ­ hence the neglect.
chickira
First Steps

Well, being as it has been years since I started this thread, and no progress, I went ahead and bought myself one of those nice new Samsung Watches. Way more functionality than any fitbit products and at a much more attractive price. Congrats Fitbit, you lost a customer. 

Mapoli
Jogger

Would be great to have some intelligence behind the data Fitbit is monitoring, for example, trending heart rate and based on trend data, an anomaly could be recognized and an alert sent. This could save ones life!!!

Devliba
Jogger

Just bought a Fitbit charge3 last week. I like the heart rate feature but what’s the point of having it when it doesn’t alert you when it reaches a specified heart rate. Also, to keep checking this on the Fitbit the screen timeout feature is about 4/5 seconds, really really disappointed with my Fitbit. All of the other features I could get on my phone. 

Mrs_Dorman
First Steps

multiple products being released in the market to monitor and alert of pulse rate changes or breathing changes that could signify a seizure or heart problems. current products are expensive but fitbit already monitors these levels and a app to notify, where you can adjust the thresholds would be a game changer! 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mrs_Dorman, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about here. You can check this other suggestion to vote for it: Track breathing during sleep.

Keep adding your suggestions!

txk0
Jogger

I am trying to decide whether to buy a fitbit charge 3. Does this feature exist yet? +6000 People have voted for it. This feature is a deciding factor but also I don't want to go in on a product that ignores this type of response when the request is so small. 

Kenhj
First Steps

Unfortunately this much requested feature does not exist. For people like me where it is a critical health issue we are looking to other brands who do have this feature. It's such a shame when it would only take a tiny software tweak to update it.

GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
The feature does not exist on the charge 3 I have.

Sent from my iPhone
MK1623
Stepping Up

I strongly agree.  I would love to have this feature.  Hope this feature will be added in the near future.  

markus7
First Steps

If you want to accurately monitor your heart rate and get notifications when you go out of the target range, the fitbit is not the tool for you.

I got the strap monitor below and it does all that plus you can record a single lead EKG. It buzzes at a slow rate when you cross into your minimum desire target range and more frequently when you go above your target range. The buzzes are easy to tell apart. It is no trouble to wear it all the time if you want.

You can send pdfs of recorded EKG’s and a heart rate plot for the day to your phone and from there to anywhere, including your Dr if you have heart issues.

I was disappointed to see that when the strap monitor was reading 170 (accurately) my fitbit read 90.

It's just a matter of the right tool for the right purpose.  I like the fitbit for other purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/Wellue-VisualBeat-Bluetooth-Exercise-Waterproof/dp/B07Y744XM8

DeniseFI
Base Runner

It is 2020 and I am still waiting for this feature!

spainm
Stepping Up

Last week I discovered the BPM on my fitbit -- (I was previously only interested in sleep/steps) Not feeling well a friend said check your BPN on the fitbit.  It was 144 and looking at history it had been in that range +/- 10 points for the entire month -- I went to ER and they discovered Atrial Flutter.  My major question is If I had so few Steps (the high bpm rate was exhausting) and such a BPM high rate -- isn't there a way Fitbit could send a Warning -- this rate was 24 hrs a day -- not certain but I think I earned rewards for hitting high rates -- but if compare with my steps ..?? how could I achieve these rates unless I had a heart issue.. Thanks

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @spainm, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

spainm
Stepping Up

Yicks I see that this has been a suggestion for YEARS! Why hasn't it happened?  I will look to other products. This change could be a life saver 

Mapoli
Jogger
It's common sense, thank for your support.

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.