Idle Alert

I would love to have an "Idle Alert" feature added where the device would vibrate if you've been idle for a certain length of time.

Moderator edit: Added labels.

1,041 Comments
pakman
Jogger
I've got my eye on a Polar 400.
rbgamblin
Jogger

Yes! I just asked for this. Somehow, I thought this was already a feature and I was very excited about.

Please I think this will be a great improvement to this device.

Thanks!

amaldonado013
First Steps
I think it would be great to have as well. I sit at my desk for hours and sometimes forget that I have legs. Something like a simple reminder to just pause myself for a second...go walk to get a cup of water or around the building would be really cool. Go off at least one an hour if I don't have at least **personal info removed** steps or something within that hour
aromero
Jogger

It's hard to imagine we're still requesting this 2 years later. Please, Fitbit, we WANT this, and it's a HUGE help for people to get active. Many times we sit for way longer than we realize or intend. Let us set an alert - if we haven't been more than X steps in X minutes, give us a buzz. A simple, but SERIOUS update that could really help us be more active.

Thank you for considering!

marionclelland
First Steps

Even just a reminder via the app would be useful - which isn't really difficult to implement!

Handyone
Jogger

by marionclelland 7m ago

Even just a reminder via the app would be useful - which isn't really difficult to implement!

That is great if you have a "smart" phone, I don't.

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@MiScusi About the tapping, now there is an option called "quick view" which will allow you to check the display just by turning your wrist towards yourself.  The option will be displayed under your settings. To have that, just make sure that you have upgraded your tracker to the latest version!

AndreaBham
First Steps
Definitely would love this feature! I know a lot of other trackers have it already.
PieterB
First Steps

Please implement this. I expected a feature like this with fitbit already.

DivePrincess
First Steps

I also bought this product thinking it had a notification for periods of inactivity. Now I mostly have a very expensive pedometer. Please add this feature!

Faria
First Steps

The idle alert is the only missing feature. Having this would make Fitbit great!

Guys, don't take so long to do that... the clients will move to a different tracker...

Kurt1979
Jogger

Once again I noticed that it takes way to long. The top 2 to implement is "Under Consideration" for way to long.  Please fitbit, start listen to your customers, or just say you aren't going to implement it.  This way of work isn't professional at all.  Or just get the Feature request down, if u don't bother what we customers want.

tlkhorses
Recovery Runner

Looks like the idle alert has been requested since 2013. Maybe you guys could get that done. My phone alerts me that I have a phone call on the HR but no idle alert. Had an UP24 before the HR and it would rattle my arm if I sat too long.

tk

LenkaSza
First Steps

I totally vote for it! I also need an "you've been sitting for too long" alert, I believe it is useful for 2/3 of fitbit users. It is just a software change - nothing big. Please do it! Lenka

pennfit
Stepping Up

IT's ridiculous that almost every fitness band and smart watches offer this function except fitbits, when fitbit was at the beginning of fitness band revolution.  It would be nice to have a customizable function accessible through app that allows alert.  In addition, perhaps the alerts could be activated not just by movement but by calculating a certain threshold using heartrate and movement.

Handyone
Jogger

Waiting for this upgrade is like waiting to win the lottery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fluffy2001
Recovery Runner
Considering Fitbit is being hacked wirelessly and allowing access to
you phone, it's time to more on.

Sent fotm my ohpone wgile droving.
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@fluffy2001 While it has nothing to do with this Idle Alert request, I thought I'd let you know that claim has been addressed and found false. You can read more in the related thread here.

fluffy2001
Recovery Runner
Of course the company is going to say that. But considering your
programmers can't make one simple feature in 2 years... What's the
point of recommending this product to anyone?
pennfit
Stepping Up

I have to agree with fluffy2001 on this one.  I am surprised to see when the thread was started and how many votes there are and what little response there has been from fitbit.  What is the point of having a feature request forum to begin with, when fitbit doesn't respond?  Seems like almost every fitness tracker has this function: Garmin, Jawbone, Moov--and smart watches like Apple Watch even shows a detailed notification in conjunction with inactivity.  I have always thought Fitbit's edge in the market was having entered the market quickly but it looks like they are quickly getting left behind.  This is one of the reasons why I sold all of my FIT shares last month...  That and the horrible Q/C of their newer devices.  My Charge HR had to be returned 3 times until I found one without an uneven backlight bleed.  In any case, here's to hoping that the development team quickly addresses this feature addition and moves on.  A good development team listens to the users, and that's why successful large cap companies like Apple and Microsoft have released more and more prerelease versions to users over the years.  Another way to read this is that a company on its downward spiral listens less and less to user input.  

fluffy2001
Recovery Runner
Agreed. Notice that they make selling units a priority and will
address the hacking issue on the forum immediately but crickets on
features for current users. News flash, current users are supposed to
be repeat customers.
alexkuk
First Steps
I would like that my Charge vibrates and indicates on a screen when it detects that I'm sitting for long. Of course an inactivity period length should be configurable as well as possibility to turn this feature off at night.
Bendelin
First Steps
I enjoy the alarm features that allow me to wake up without waking my wife and child.

An alarm feature I'd like to see is an idle alarm; this would prompt me to get up from my desk/couch if I were sedentary for 120min/90min/60min/45min. Maybe even if to get a glass of water, this alarm could be customized to only be active, for example, from 7 am to 6 pm.
d4nj
Jogger

not happening

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing such a great idea @HAFoodie! We sometimes forget to meet our goals and this will encourage us to keep fighting until the end. I encourage you to keep participating in our Feature Request Board.

See you later!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.