Idle Alert

I would love to have an "Idle Alert" feature added where the device would vibrate if you've been idle for a certain length of time.

Moderator edit: Added labels.

1,041 Comments
Purin
Jogger
When is the next update due? Is the idle alert scheduled to be a part of it? I would really appreciate a response so that I know our posts are being read. Thank you.
Handyone
Jogger

Maybe they'll give it to us for Christmas!

fluffy2001
Recovery Runner
The people on this message board have waited 3 years. I also doubt it will be an update but rather a new model as there is no way for them to profit from an update. Otherwise it could have been programmed in few days. It's an arm cortex 3 processor. Anyone is rudimentary programming skills could have done it in a few days.
heleneheras
Recovery Runner

When is the next update due? Is the idle alert scheduled to be a part of it? I would really appreciate a response so that I know our posts are being read. Thank you.

SabrinaJL
Jogger

This really needs to happen.  If it doesn't, I'll probably get a different tracker when my Fitbit dies.  My friend paid much less for her Jawbone than I paid for my Fitbit Charge and hers has an idle alert.    

tim_l
Jogger

The latest update for the Charge HR and Surge added some pretty cool "SmartTrack" feature for automatically detecting various type of exercise:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/What-has-changed-in-the-latest-tracker-update

Since this update is much more complicated and much less requested than a simple "idle alert", I can only assume there must be some conscious reason for not implementing the idle alert by now. I'm still sticking with the theory that someone else has a patent on it and Fitbit doesn't want to license it.

kerryhosenfeld
First Steps

I came searching for an update on this and was shocked to see that it has been discussed for so long with what appears to be very little response.

I would really enjoy this feature.  Please add it to the currently active devices and let me brag about Fitbit's responsiveness and support.

Mattybrass
First Steps
This would be a very useful feature and would certainly prevent people from being motivated do to buy an Apple Watch because of this feature
jamie1430
Walker
Any update on this?
fluffy2001
Recovery Runner
I'll keep saying it. The Fitbit HR has an arm cortex m3 processor and there a millions of people that could write this code in less than a week.... Let alone 3 years. What they're telling you is to not by a Fitbit for a Christmas gift.
Lunax
First Steps
Omg.... I can't belirve this option is not available. This was the only reason I bought it. Guess I need to do a better research next time.
dr.nitro
Keeping Pace

Till "idle alert" implementation, you can use Fitminder. When you connect your Fitbit account to Fitminder, it will monitor your activity and send you a text message when you haven't moved in a while.

http://fitminder.io/

tim_l
Jogger

The Fitminder solution is very clever, but unfortunately for me, I don't have a reliable celluar signal in my office, which is the main place I need an idle reminder since I am chained to my desk all day.

The best solution I've found for now is to use the free Workrave app on my PC which is for preventing RSI and works on the opposite principle of the idle alert -- it tracks how long you've been using your computer by watching mouse movements or typing, then bugs you to get up after a configurable amount of time.

http://www.workrave.org/

Still not ideal if I'm away from my computer but sitting in a meeting or on a phone call, etc (since Workrave will think I'm taking a break since the computer is not being used), but better than nothing.

I just really don't get why the idle alert is so hard to implement!

fluffy2001
Recovery Runner
It's not hard to implement. It should take a moderately skilled programmer a few days to code it. It's not like it's some specialized processor. It's extremely common. It seems the issue is planned obsolescence. They need features people want for a next model.
tim_l
Jogger

Yep, I have a feeling you're right, Fluffy. Another hint is that they're heavily discounting the Charge HR lately...

Guess we'll see if Fitbit releases any new models before the Best Buy exclusive on the Garmin Vivosmart HR expires. 🙂

dr.nitro
Keeping Pace

https://ifttt.com/recipes/175911-get-a-notification-if-you-haven-t-reached-your-daily-fitness-goals

Keep yourself accountable by receiving a notification if you don't meet your daily Fitbit goals.

fluffy2001
Recovery Runner
Perhaps I'm missing something but I'm unaware of how to configure it to send a notification if you've been seated for x number of minutes. Hopefully I'm wrong. ittf is a great tool though.
dr.nitro
Keeping Pace

no you're not wrong, you can "only" make triggers for daily goal not achieved by (calories burned, distance covered, floors climbed, minutes active and steps), but as i wrote earlier the best option for idle alert is fitminder.io.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Seems like a much requested feature for years, please add!
jadedlola
First Steps

Please add an inactivity nudge vibration!

Edit: All-caps

NylonPhish
Jogger

Please Add! 

Bendricks
First Steps

Adding a movement reminder seems like a no-brainer to me; it would be an incredibley useful little feature that already uses the built-in technology. Seems like a fairly quick-win with low overhead. Please add!

suttonj
First Steps
Would really like this feature also as I spend many hours sat at a desk.
jim518
Premium User
Base Runner

I started several years ago with Nike fuel band and updated to their next band and they both had some sort of notification. Then I went to Jawbone Up24 and boy was that great. They had easy alarms and a vibration to move . That could be set for almost how often I wanted. Then I experienced some issues and went to Garmin Vivismart, they too get you going.

I went to Fitbit Charge HR and have been bacally pleased, BUT mis the inactivity notice. I totally agree with all the commments I read. Aplle Iphone has it now as well.

Fitbit you need to get off your but and get this done. Stop dragging - Your clients want and NEED it.

Onelioness
Jogger
I vote for this.... Idle Alerts and Sleep Cycle Alarm (to wake at optimal time) are the two features preventing me from purchasing a FitBit. Evaluating competitors instead.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.