Inspire HR keep display on for longer

Could a feature be added to the Inspire and Inspire that keeps the display on for longer?  I get 3-4 seconds before mine goes dark. If I tap the display after it comes on the display time goes to about 6 sec. Continuing to tap will keep the display on. (I've only tested using the stats display). It would be great if there was a user control to have the current settings marked as "short," something about twice as long as "medium," and a "long" that went to (say) 1 minute. Alternatively the user could select from several timings from the current behavior to a maximum of at least 1 minute. Obviously battery life would suffer with a longer display, but I'd take that trade off.

87 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @BobGeo.

Thanks for sharing your suggestion about the Inspire HR's display time. Having the option to extend the time could be very useful for all sorts of users.

Let's see what other users think about it.

batterup5000
First Steps

This feature to extend the display needs to be added 100%.  The display timeout way too fast.  I am a new user and will be returning the device if I cannot extend it.  Inspire HR

MND-2017
Jogger

I agree - I would love to turn off anything other than the time, steps, and HR showing on the device.  If I want to know something else, I can track it on the site on my phone.  I am annoyed that I now have been running for 6 hours, 58 minutes and 23 seconds and I can't turn the darn thing off.  I would like to 86 the exercise/time clock app.  I have never been so frustrated with a fitbit.

pbagosy
First Steps

Definitely.  The stopwatch is pretty much useless for timing anything requiring my hands, because I can't see it after it shuts off.

bob.e
First Steps

sent question to Fitbit support on twitter: answer= At this time, there is no option to change the screen time out to 15 seconds or longer than that. We suggest to add that idea in our Ideas Board

SMJFS16
First Steps

Yes the timeout is way too fast!! I have a hard time especially if I’m pushing my daughter’s stroller on a walk or run. I barely have time to register what I’m seeing before the screen goes black. An update for this would be great.

jfunkekupper
First Steps

I got my Inspire HR today and this is the first thing I searched for. Clearly a feature that needs to be added! And looking at the forums it's not just the Inspire product line that needs this...

TripodOllie
First Steps

Yes. Time out is way to fast.   Just got the the inspire HR yesterday and already wanting to return it!!

please fix this

Vera1234
First Steps

Yes, definetely!! This is really needed. The few seconds is just too short to use this as a watch.

Loomemic
First Steps

Hi,

So disappointed. Please can you speak to your superiors to allow an option to keep the screen on for different lengths of time - this is really letting this product down so much. My girlfriend was going to get one but decided not to as such  function does not exist. Please can you add this as soon as possible and give a timeframe as to when this could be rolled out.? Sales will increase for you if this option is added in an update.

Thank you in advance i look forward to your response. Mike.

NeatoBurrito
First Steps

I landed here searching for a way to extend the screen's "on" time. It would be particularly useful for the watch face that shows 4 stats plus the time, which is my personal fav. Thanks in advance!

Silean
Jogger

Yes, was looking for this as well. How can you NOT have it already???

AndrewTurpin
First Steps

I have just bought a Fitbit inspire. A facility to adjust the screen timeout is essential. Can this be added to the next software update?

a8six
First Steps

Just got an inspire HR and cannot believe it doesn’t have this simple yet necessary function. Please add. This is making me want to return my Fitbit. 

Redk3
Jogger

I just bought my new Fitbit Inspire HR today and have discovered two issues that are driving me crazy- so much that I may have to return it. 

1. The vibration for interval training and the silent alarm is WAY too faint - I can barely feel it just sitting on my couch.  I can't imagine it being noticeable at all when I'm actually working out.

2.  The screen timeout is way too short.  I tried out a timer and I can't see the darn thing after just a few seconds!  The point is to feel free from using hands or devices and this is just not working for me.

From what I've read in the forums so far, these appear to be issues with no solution, but if I'm wrong please let me know.  I really like the other features but I'll have to return it if these are not fixable.  Help?

stephcats
Recovery Runner

I agree.  I bought my Inspire HR yesterday so I can track my heart rate accurately on the treadmill, but it is very difficult to do when the display is always going dark.  I am trying to reach certain points, and it would be much much better if I could set the display to stay on so I can keep track of it without having to reach over and push the button all the time.  Please!

stephcats
Recovery Runner

I found a solution to the problem described in my previous comment, and am adding it in case it is helpful for anyone else.  I have a Lenovo tab 4 8 tablet, and a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone.  After some fiddling around with the two devices, I found that only one device at a time can be linked to my Fitbit through Bluetooth. When I turned Bluetooth off on my tablet, then my phone saw my Fitbit when I turned Bluetooth on.  With Bluetooth on as well as all day sync, my phone displays all the current information.  Like this I can put it on the shelf on the treadmill and watch my heart rate as it changes. 

Status changed to: New
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Redk3

We wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:
Stronger Vibration
Longer Display Time

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

Kensi.H
First Steps

Yes, Definitely!!! screen timeout is waaay too short, it needs to be longer .... on all screens, not just clock. Also, adding a seconds/stopwatch/timer feature would be useful... but, longer display for sure. The current super short timeout is ridiculous. Should add options to leave on 30 seconds,5 minute, 10 minutes, 30 minutes ... or permanently.  

Milovs
First Steps

Definitely a good addition! 

Nasdaqphil
First Steps

+1 for longer display times on Inspire HR.  I’m older and my eyes aren’t so great.  The short time the display stays lit is a bit ridiculous.  3 seconds?  5?  Not nearly enough time to read the data with the “heavy” clockface.  There should be an option for US to choose display time over battery life!  Everyone seems to be saying the same thing.  When will this be addressed?

Newrie
First Steps

Third day with my new Inspire HR and I am very satisfied with all of its functions, apart from the screen timeout which is ridiculously short and barely gives you enough time for anything more than a quick glance. Please update with an option to extend the screen time to a more workable duration. 

sb1992
First Steps

I've just finished setting mine up and its already driving me crazy!!! I can barely turn the screen on and flip between options before the screen goes off. Is mine faulty? I would like to be able to make choices on my device without having to keep turning the screen back on...

mumblefish
Jogger

I can totally relate to the post above- it's driving me already insane as well. I just bought my first fitbit- alta HR. I was debating between alta HR and inspire HR, and decided the small clock face will be better to wear every day. I chose this over buying a traditional wristwatch. Now that I received it, I'm so dismayed that the clock display turns off after 3 seconds. It's maddening that I cannot control the time it stays on, and that this feature is only available now on the newer devices (although Inspire is technically new, so I guess it's only available on the more expensive devices..?) I'm seriously considering returning this specifically for this reason. It seems like people have been requesting this option in alta for years and it still has not been implemented. Will this feature ever be adopted for the alta? My window for being able to return this product is narrow.. 

mumblefish
Jogger

All this to say- I'd consider switching to Inspire if this feature was implemented. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.