Integration with Google Fit

I'd very much like my fitbit data available in Google Fit. I use a different app for food logging, but Fitbit's step counter, sleep tracker, and aria are great.

If their data was available through the new Google Fit it would be fantastic.

Moderator edit: Added labels.

1,023 Comments
Jogger

I looked on the user forum to try and find out how to get Fitbit to sync with Google fit. Naturally I was not the first. Over the years the moderator has been replying with some tosh about vote for the feature and our engineers will take it on board. Clearly there has been a commercial decision not to integrate. I speculate that the commercial reason is to because doing so would result in loss of market power or market share. That is, prioritising the company over the users. In such cases I think it would be better to be honest rather than wasting users' time by encouraging further posts.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Sarahleelove
Jogger

I've been using Google Fit for well-over a year now. Maybe even two. I has synced all my devices/apps into one, big, bunch of data. 

The fitbit app covers all of them. I would love to take everything I have from google fit and move them over into fitbit. Please let me know when this is possible.

Thanks

RobertoME
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi there @982167, good to see you around in the Fitbit Community and my apologies for the late response. I was reading your post and thank you for your feedback. I can assure you, this is not our intention as moderators. The reason of this is just to give our users a place where they can share their suggestions for possible future updates or integrations, however in some occasions this take time or are not viable.

Regarding Google Fit, recently there was an update in our Feature Suggestion board. Which at the moment is not currently planned.

I quote for you to review: "We are always looking for ways you can use your data to support your health and fitness goals. For the past few years, we’ve been the leader in developing direct partnerships through our open API with hundreds of the most popular health apps, wellness programs, incentive systems, and other services that have enabled people like you to make the most of your products and data. In addition, the launch of Fitbit Ionic has given us the opportunity to allow third party developers to develop apps for the Fitbit App Gallery through our SDK, providing opportunities to offer even more features and apps to our global Fitbit community from our developer community.

With regards to your proposed integrations, we continue to evaluate new partners and will update you if we have news to share. Fitbit has a history of working with the community to bring potential features to reality, and we thank you for taking the time to share your ideas and suggestions."

See you later and thank you for sharing your comments.

Riesj74
First Steps

Since the old 37 page counting thread has been closed and still no answer.... here goes.

WHY are you guys not even considering integrating with GoogleFit?

Do you hate Google or something?

Litteraly 1000's of users would jump for joy if you intergrate this... and its not rocket science since dozens of other trackers and watches do this.

Do you wanna lose customers?, cause i for one am going to look for a watch/tracker that does integrate.

Since 2014 people have been asking about this and i really dont get why you guys just say "no, we wont do it, let other 3rd party people do it... go away" (Fredfitbit more or less).

Dumbfounded...

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The 36 page was only closed to comments not votes. since they had become simply a bunch of ..I'll leave it at this. 

So why start the voting process all over?

I see the suggestion is mislabeled as a charge 2. 

As for Google Fit, Fitbit aklowsathird parties to do what they want, and Google only has to implement fitbits API to retrieve your data. Fitbit does not push themselves on other sites. 

Status changed to: Needs More Info
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jnhearneWe wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:

We are also glad to let you know that some of the mentioned integrations already exist. You can find more information about them on the following links:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for.

Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

Twistabular
Jogger

The app told me to comment about Google Fit so the devs would know we want this App.  I wasn't able to so I'm adding my +1 vote for it.

Solid reasoning is that there are a large proportion of people that use Android devices, they all integrate with Google services, which includes Google Fit.  Many people use Google for their daily tasks, including Apple uses for emailing, searching, etc.  It makes sense to integrate it with so many people plugged into Google already?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

johyphenel
First Steps

I have stopped using my Fitbit due to lack of Google Fit integration, and I do not plan to buy any future product unless this support is added. 

I will likely look to replace my device with something new within the next 12 months. It won't be a Fitbit if this support is still missing.

djpayne2
First Steps

I would have to guess that Android phone users are your biggest market.  I say that because most Apple users I know also have an Apple watch and Android has the largest worldwide share by far.  Apple watch works with their health app.  Fitbit app needs to sync with Google Fit just like Android Wear does.  A lot of other fitness trackers do sync with Google Fit.  I can't imagine how adding this feature wouldn't help your sales.  Please support the platform most of your customers use.  I also would have to guess that when Google finally makes their own wearable that a lot of Fitbit users will opt to change to Google for full integration with their phone unless Fitbit was already fully integrated.

Thanks for listening.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @djpayne2! Thanks for sharing your suggestion with the Fitbit Community. I merged it to this similar idea so you can give kudos to vote for the suggestion even if the current status is in "not currently planned". 

Jdjj1212
Jogger

make it so you can connect the fitbit appto the google fit app please. Thanks.

Kizmea
Jogger

I have the fit bit ionic and I love it. However I also track steps on my Samsung health and Google fit. I would love for my fit bit to be able to integrate with Samsung health and Google fit, because there's always a discrepancy in my steps. Also because I would like to track everything on the fit bit app and have it sent to the other apps that I receive points for.

Hexva
Jogger

I have recently received a Samsung Watch for my birthday, which I wear when I am at work, but I want to be able to sync my steps for both my Fitbit & S watch so I can continue to join in on the step challenges, or to be able to manually enter my steps & they can be included in my total steps, not just as ‘exercise’

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Kizmea, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently. You can keep adding your votes to this suggestion so we can keep tracking this request overtime. You can also vote for: S Health & Fitbit integration. Thanks for your understanding, I hope to see you around. 

Bryan_V
Jogger

I just set up my new Charge 3 and learned that it has no integration with apple health.  I was told by a Fitbit customer service representative that this was because Apple didn't allow it.  That is clearly not accurate as HealthKit is a publicly available toolkit in Xcode.  The permissions are allowed by the user, not Apple. 

Fitbit has made a business decision (not a customer experience decision) to become the central repository for data.  They brag about the 3rd party integrations, but this means the data and access to other apps is fully controlled by Fitbit.  This means my smart scale data from withings and cycling data from garmin are not able to be consolidated with fitbit tracking. But I am sure fitbit would be happy to sell me an aria scale and full fitness, gps fitness watch.  

If they added Apple Health access, then the user would be able to access their data through any device or app of their choosing, not just ones selected by Fitbit.  This lessens the value of fitbit products considerably and is making me consider returning my new charge 3 and swapping for a Garmin equivalent which has full iphone integration.

I hope Fitibit considers the value of Apple Health and Google Fit as a major improvement to customer experience.

JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Bryan_V Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us!

JustinMorse
First Steps

Fitbit Plus already has support for this feature. Is it possible to also have this feature on the standard Fitbit app.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Hello @JustinMorse I suggest adding your vote to the current suggestion that yoirvsearchbshould have found. 

Integration with GoogleFit

tblancher
Jogger

I just purchased a Fitbit Inspire HR, because I thought it had integration with Google Fit.  After doing some digging, I found a bunch of posts asking for this feature and neither Fitbit nor Google apparently have found the time to implement the integration.  This is highly disappointing, you'd figure Fitbit would reach out to Google officially to get the integration completed.  It would take cooperation from both ends to get it working.  But this is mostly a digression that no one else needs to read or talk about any further.

By chance, I stumbled upon an app called FitToFit, by Tom Tietze.  It's in the Google Play store, and it purports to transfer data from the Fitbit app to Google Fit.  As I just got this Inspire HR today, I have no data in it to transfer, but it looks like it does the job transferring all data from the Fitbit app into Google Fit.  I do not know if it can go the other way, from Google Fit to the Fitbit app.  It does not appear to do so, at first glance.

This looks like just a nice hack, a bit of glue to connect the Fitbit API to the Google Fit API.  It appears you can grant it access temporarily within the Fitbit account settings, I've set it up to auto sync over the next 30 days. I'll report how well it works over the coming month.

tblancher
Jogger

It appears you can be selective about what you sync.  I primarily got the Inspire HR as a heart rate monitor, as well as a sleep monitor.  My Fossil Q Explorist does not come with either of these features, so it's nice not to have to transfer my steps and my exercise data (which is already captured by my Fossil smart watch).  If you do it right you shouldn't have to worry about duplicate data, if you use two devices to track activity.

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @tblancher, thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback in the forums regarding the option to have Fitbit app integrated with Google Fit, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Keep sharing your ideas with us!

tblancher
Jogger

I posted this the other day, and a moderator mistakenly moved it to the bottom of the thread where people have been requesting Google Fit integration.  That thread is locked, so I cannot comment any further, and it does not appear that I can send the moderator a direct message informing him of his mistake.

The key point of my post is a workaround for the lack of official Fitbit/Google
Fit integration. Burying my comments at the end of a 40-page, locked thread is a disservice to the community.  FitToFit is an answer to the lack of official Fitbit/Google Fit integration.  I've only been using it for a couple of days, but it seems to be doing the job.  If anything my post should have been listed as a sticky comment at the top of the thread, providing a third-party solution to the lack of official Fitbit/Google Fit integration.

FitToFit needs to be advertised to all community members who will be disappointed that there will not be any official Fitbit/Google Fit integration any time soon.  It most definitely is a hack, a workaround, but in lieu of Fitbit and Google developing a proper solution to the problem this should be the best option.  There may be other options as well, but FitToFit is the one I found in the Google Play store.

tblancher
Jogger

@DavideFitbit Please read my initial post in this thread.

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience with this @tblancher, as an alternative to transfer information from Google Fit, this information will be more useful to the users checking out this idea/suggestion, so I've moved your post here, as it is more related to this topic. 

Thank you again for all your comments. 

Lathuano
First Steps

The Fitbit app is fine. I have no issues with it. However, everything else that goes on in my life is a part of Google. My phone, my home, my car, my glasses, my computer, my search engine, my word processor, my VR/AR, my finances, my music/podcasts, my television, my internet, and so on. I'm not saying I won't still use the Fitbit app, but it would be nice for Google to be able to sync with my watch as well. I am already establish in the Google community. 

Thank you for your consideration.

Lathuano

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.