Keep clock face/device screen on for longer

I work in EMS and love my new Ionic, but when trying to count my patients heart rate and respiration's I keep having to push the button with my other hand which I usually have on the patients arm.  This makes it hard to watch the clock, and flicking my wrist doesn't always work.  It would be nice if there was an option to keep the watch face active for more that 20 seconds, maybe give the options for 1 minute and 2 minutes also.  I understand that will cause the battery to not last as long but that would be my choice.  Thanks for your time. 

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

270 Comments
GrandmaHobbs78
First Steps

OK Fitbit you literally have  9 pages of request on this. We all realize we may sacrifice battery life and have to charge 2 times a day but would rather have a constant display for time. I think it is very clear and the people have spoken. I actually just purchased, but will investigate now & if I can find another product that offers this, will quickly switch over. Would love to hear from you, and that you are actively listening to the people supporting you,

EBooth
Jogger

Allow a way to have the display on for longer than a few seconds. Ideally at least 30 seconds or maybe multiple options from 30 seconds up to always on if one would choose so. I need to be able to use it to take vitals at work but I would need to wear another watch to do so now. 

McShoops
First Steps

Please add the option to extend the length of time the display is on for.  My old charge 2 had a much better choice of clock faces, did not time out so quickly and yet had great battery life. 

Please bring the great bits of charge 2 to charge 3. 

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @EBooth, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is under consideration.

s9876
Base Runner

Agree - display needs option to be 

on longer and permanently when required

RichieRates
First Steps

I know this is not a unique suggestion, but I want to add my voice to the many already recommending that the Clock Face on time be extended.  The current unchangeable default is too short.  I read that many of your customers wear this device at work and oftentimes want to refer to the clock face for more than a couple seconds, perhaps to roughly count time.  In my case, I just want more time to be able to read time, steps, heartrate, or whatever clock face info I have chosen.  Especially when I am outside in the sun playing golf, it is hard to see the face and it takes a bit of time to focus and get the right orientation to read the face.  Before I get it oriented out of the sunlight, it goes off. 

I recommend one or both of the following:  1) Let the user select how long a "woke" face stays on.  For example, you might offer 4 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 2 minutes; AND/OR 2) have a selection where the clock face simply stays on until the user selects for it to go off.  

I know without your saying that having the clock face stay on longer will shorten the time between battery rechargings, but I don't mind plugging my iPhone in every night and I would gladly do the same with my Fitbit Charge 3 if I could keep the watch face on.

Thanks!

Rich

RebeccaKelly
First Steps
Just an update, this is a watchface that I use at work and you can put the
settings so that it stays on until you turn the screen off!! It’s called
Emergency Services and it is a free face. I use the green line medic
option. Also if this one exists I imagine there are others.
KCross17
Jogger

I feel same way but wish my charge 3 had this option. Or at minimum a seconds counter on clock face as charge 2 has. I’m a veterinarian and also need to count heart rates.

horse482
First Steps

I am the creator of this post and I am curious to find out if there has been any progress on my request for increasing the amount of time that the watch face says active?  Back in July there is a comment that this request was going to be released this fall, is that still the plan?  

BTW thank you to everyone that has supported my post that is very important to show Fitbit what we would like changed or improved on with their products and software. 

Ad_Louwerse
Jogger

Hello 

We will keep supporting you. It's not difficult to add this to the software, it's not the hardware that need changes.

Listen to your customers Fitbit!

And please for all devices!

xxuchxx
Jogger

I’d greatly appreciate it if there was an option to keep the display on for 1 whole minute or at least 30 seconds! Healthcare providers need to count apical pulses when patients have an irregular HR and that involves counting for a whole minute. I know I could just set the watch to stay on, but then my Ionic won’t last for more than a day... 

Also, it would be amazing if the second hand was just a feature you could choose to turn on and off like reading notifications. There are so many awesome clock face designs but not a lot that have the second hand! I’d love to see more statistics-heavy clock faces with the second hand (both analog and digital).

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello  @xxuchxx! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

Cindra25
First Steps

@AlexandraFitbit @horse482 @xxuchxx

I am looking for a fitbit that has the feature xxuchxx is talking about, I'm a nurse I need to count my patient's heart rate and respirations. It would be stupid to wear two watches! Live chat is useless I think it's a Bot. All he would say is we suggest you use a medical device because a fitbit is not a medical device. DUH! I just want a friggin watch with seconds that I can see for at the least ONE minute! And @RichieRates I agree with you too. By the time I slap the devil out of the AltaHR outside in the sun EXERCISING, I can't even begin to see my HR unless I run to shade!

bee720
Keeping Pace

I'm a nurse, I work the night shift so I thought the Versa would be perfect for me.

Well, it's not and the more I read about this watch the less I like it.

I'm afraid to update it due to all the negative comments I see in the app store.

You continue to design & make new Fitbits yet you don't bother to fix your current products nor reply to the comments that are left in the app store as well as on here.

Bad news & reviews travel fast. I can't be without a watch nor can I afford to just buy another one.

I had to find out the hard way via Amazon where there are hundreds of 1&2 star ratings..

You claim the Versa will give the iPhone watch a run for it's money but I have yet to see Fitbit fix the many software issues. These requests are from 2015?

That would never happen with any iPhone watches or accessories.

Their customers come first, that is why they are so loyal & don't hesitate to stay with iPhone products.

Maybe you should consider this the next time you design another product.

Even Samsung continues to go out of their way to provide help with ANY issues regarding their phones & accessories.

I'll be replacing this grade D watch with a real smartwatch. My wireless carrier offers iPhone & Samsung smartwatches with flexible payment options, warranties & replacements with a protection plan. Unlike your company.

Get it together Fitbit. Fix the multiple problems with your current products instead of selling new stuff within months. Maybe that is why there are so many technical issues.

Everytime someone asks me about my Fitbit I tell them the truth & advise them to be more thorough than I was when looking for a watch that is supposed to help us stay healthy & easy to use.

This Fitbit was bought for my birthday in July 2018..In only 3 weeks I regretted my decision to finally try one.

Flynnstone508
First Steps

Please add my vote to the other thousands...the inability to change the screen timeout just may be a deal breaker for me and my new Charge 3.  I love the unit after only a day, but while exercising today the need to keep flipping my wrist/tapping the screen is extremely disruptive to my workout. Please, please, please....give me the same screen timeout adjustment optional I had on my Surge...and quickly.

horse482
First Steps

LizFitbit, do you have an update on the fall release that is supposed to have the change for how long the clock face is active?

Thanks 

Jim

horse482
First Steps

@LizFitbit, do you have an update on the fall release that is supposed to have the change for how long the clock face is active

Thanks 

Jim

Kaycevl2018
Jogger

I am also requested the screen timeout be much longer then the 10 seconds. I feel 30seconds or 60seconds is much more beneficial for these watches . I am a RPN and I got this watch to help with timing Pulses & Resperations within a full minute and I figured this would help as it has a stopwatch. I was shocked when I went to get a pulse the other day and it went blank within 10 seconds, I had to push the button with my other hand then lost count of pulse. I am truly disappointed that this 200$ item doesnt have this feature. I voted for this and I hope it comes through it would be very beneficial for many health care workers and health fanatics!🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

@horse482 wrote:

I work in EMS and love my new Ionic, but when trying to count my patients heart rate and respiration's I keep having to push the button with my other hand which I usually have on the patients arm.  This makes it hard to watch the clock, and flicking my wrist doesn't always work.  It would be nice if there was an option to keep the watch face active for more that 20 seconds, maybe give the options for 1 minute and 2 minutes also.  I understand that will cause the battery to not last as long but that would be my choice.  Thanks for your time.

ByTheC42
Recovery Runner

I'm interested in updating from an Alta HR to a Versa. In my search and looking at what it has to offer I wasn't sure if the face stayed lit.  So, I just contacted your chat customer service for that very question and request on this board.  She told me it doesn't due to battery life.  Then I find this board while waiting for her response.  I'm just tired of having to wake up my Alta HR with not just one tap but 4 to 5 taps just to get the time.  I believe at  the very least the clock should remain lit.  However, I totally understand the need for other options to remain lit.  Having your choice of which one is most important to the user for their own personal needs would be awesome.  I see this request has been going on for quite a few years.  I have to say I'm shocked since Fitbit's customer service has always been top notch.   This is not a cheap item and there should be a way of making this happen.  

Osotoh
Jogger

I want to use my Fitbit Charge2 as a watch for work and work outs, rather than wearing two "watches". Please add the functionality to keep the clock display on full time or at least for longer periods. I, like others am willing to charge my Fitbit daily to offset battery drain. If Fitbit is unwilling to add this functionality, please let this community know.

bee720
Keeping Pace

To all my fellow medical professionals, students, those that workout, anyone who's voted & posted here and most importantly > @horse482 who took the time to start this post & keep it running.

I have found a few clock faces that actually do have a choice to help us keep the screen on, when need be & you don't need to use your cell to use this option.

Free clock faces btw...

I'd post a picture of the watch but for some reason it won't allow me..

The one I decided to use for now is called TH3 :

It's an analog watch with several choices in colors so I'm hoping this will help both the ladies & gentlemen for the time being.

If you go to your app & click to "pick a new clock" you can use the search option, type in " TH3" and it should show the clock face. Tap it and it will bring you to the page. Terry should be listed as the developer.

I also went under "medical" & used the "search" option.

I chose the 1st watch listed "Medical Professional"  created by Matt.

It's a classic analog face but it does what we need and if you remember to tap the screen when you are done with your vitals or whatever you need this for it won't kill your battery as much..

There are several other faces to choose from but idk if they are for free.

Learn from my mistake, test it out when not at work with a full charge so your watch doesn't shut down on you when you need it most..

Good luck gang!

I may reach out to the developers and ask if they can "add" some features once I decide on what I like & need so I don't have to change clock faces for work.

Any suggestions feel free to let me know & hopefully we can get something for everyone..

I'm not waiting for Fitbit to do what we asked for...

With over 6,000 votes this should be an easy decision to please their customers...

Now go & check them out.

Good luck!

Cindra25
First Steps

Which Fitbit does this work for?

bee720
Keeping Pace

@Cindra25

As far as I know its for the Versa. Sry, it may also work for the Ionic.

But you'd need to check.

bee720
Keeping Pace

Quick update,  I reached out to Terry who developed the face "TH3" .

It is available for both Iconic & Versa watches..

For Free..

I hope this helps some of you.😁

MIM1949
Strider

Make option available for Charge 3.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.