Make product feedback and roll-out transparent

Fitbit's feature suggestion is broken, or the triage and prioritization process ineffective.  Currently many suggested features have received high praise (examples where legal or IP protection are not a concern -  1, 2 3, 4, 5), but have not been prioritized over other features like Bitmoji integration are developed without any communicated interest.

Fitbit community members have been asking to have a more open SDK to fill in the gaps while Fitbit pursues corporate agreements, or new products.  Currently users of Fitbit products don't have visibility to the rollout of features which may lead them to look elsewhere when features (5) that many low end trackers have, or were advertised by fitbit (1) are not available.

Fitbit should either publish or share a roadmap of features, break out statuses for features that will not be implemented such as "not planned for 2019" (or 20XX), or open up the SDK similar to what Pebble had done prior to it's acquisition.  Doing any of the above suggestions would give insight to interested users about what to expect or when, slow down requests or provide a more complete reason to why a feature was not or is not being pursued by Fitbit, or allow the community to fill in the gaps that Fitbit is not meeting.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

10 Comments
Kartus
Jogger

I agree with this, for sure the  complete roadmap cannot be published as can contain strategy aspect vs Fitbit competitors but at least something more detailed than an « under consideration » status on some topic without any timing.

Fitbit claim on lots of web pages that they care about their customer feedback but after joining the community with a charge 3 some months ago, i seriously have doubts...

regards

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @JohnnyZ thanks for detailed feedback. I understand that it can be frustrating when lower priority features are released - sometimes new partnerships or other factors can influence the roadmap. Features 1 through 5 listed are all 'under consideration' so are currently planned for release in the future. 

Unfortunately the SDK suggestion is not currently planned - I understand that you're looking to those developments to fill a gap. I will share your feedback with that team internally.

The 'Not currently planned' status would mean that feature is not on our roadmap in the future, although it is possible for these suggestions to be brought back into consideration. I will consider how we might add a more transparent timeline to suggestions - I understand that our community members are looking to Feature Suggestions to better understand what is happening and when.

Thanks for taking the time to clearly illustrate your points and provide examples.

Loloaqic
Recovery Runner

Wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion. There are suggestions from the community that have been around for many years with zero traction, but votes in the thousands, and yet no action to satisfy the communities wants. A simple Non interactive post, identifying “best guesstimate” release dates, and which suggestions are addressed in said release would help the community better understand how FitBit approach their relationship to their Customers/Users. 
You have a good community, who are willing to feed in some excellent suggestions that will help you, FitBit, to keep your Customers loyal to your product set, yet you don’t seem to value it, by providing a good mechanism for those community members to follow their suggestions through to fruition. If you doubt what I’m writing just look at some of the long standing threads, and the negative commentary that is pointed at the lack of engagement from FitBit.

Basically, someone at FitBit needs a real good kick up the pants, because you are going the right way to lose your User base due to lack of engagement.

msrw
Recovery Runner
Fitbit users have raised concerns here about Fitbit device and/or service features. Fitbit presumably created this forum for dialogue with users of Fitbit products. However in quite a few cases, when users—even lots of users—raise a concern and/or ask for a feature change Fitbit staff don’t bother to respond. Users deserve to hear back from Fitbit.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @msrwthanks for sharing this suggestion about receiving more status updates about the requests posted in the Feature Suggestions board with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Show your support by adding your vote.

safpsy
Jogger
Does feedback in this forum result in any substantive changes? I think this is just a way for us to get out our frustrations without them ever doing anything. If anyone can point to a case where feedback led to substantial
changes in a fitbit product let me know. This should not include errors that fitbit corrected
Odyssey13
Community Legend

@safpsyif you go to the main area https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Product-Feedback/idb-p/features you will see to the right side what's happened to suggestions posted in this forum. This link (click) is for 491 items that were done after being suggested.

safpsy
Jogger

I stand corrected.  Since Google bought fitbit only 24 suggestions have been acted upon.  11 of those 24 are adding Google services, payment methods, find phone, and clock faces.  Google is obviously cannibalizing fitbit technology and will move everything to their Pixel series and phase out fitbit.  Can you publish how the new app interface was developed and what input was gotten from fitbit users?  I cannot imagine anyone telling you they wanted to lose features and go to a remarkably ugly monochromatic format, but I could be wrong. 

Tuckersue
Keeping Pace

Noting about the app has been reverted. Google does not care. 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @safpsy, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback and we found a similar idea already requested on this board. To make sure the product feedback doesn't get confused, or split a popular vote, I've moved your post here. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support and keep adding your suggestions!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.