Option to disable 'Water lock'

Many folks are reporting that water lock comes on when not desired. I experience this multiple times a day with my brand new Inspire 2. I do not even have Swim set as an exercise and I don't need or want the water lock function. If the button issue cannot be easily fixed, a simple solution is an option in Settings to disable the function.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

234 Comments
bendi99
First Steps

Agreed, please give us the option to permanently disable via settings…

B.W
First Steps

Check out this thread: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Adding-3-or-more-physical-side-buttons-on-the-ne... and vote for it too.  I think the root of many of the issues was the move away from mechanical buttons to the single touch sensor.  It make sense to have a touch sensor if you are just buying a smartwatch not for fitness where there is not water and sweat present most of the time.  There are people that prefer just the touch sensor because it looks nicer and is more like a Pixel or iPhone's bahavior, but it doesnt work well for a lot of exercise scenarios.  I feel like the product teams are catering more to that, but if the device is useless for fitness why buy it.  I think if Fitbit still had one model with buttons, some would use it to avoid issues like the one on this thread and the linked one, but others can buy some of the models with just the touch sensor.    Make something for all of us!

ATZZZ
First Steps

What is the timing to change and resolve the Water Lo notice always showing up instead of seeing my clock and steps?  I am a long time loyal customer, but this is really annoying.  Also , why not change from walking to peddling?  This is also frustrating.  Sorry for any fussiness, however, it’s endlessly frustrating.  Thank you!

FitShorty
First Steps

I came online to see if there was a way to disable the water lock feature without locking the whole Fitbit and was disappointed to see that is not possible. I will never use the water lock feature, so having to deal with it turning on/off multiple times a day is extremely frustrating... Try doing Yoga, attempting to calm yourself, only to have this unneeded feature buzzing you every time you go into downward dog or anything else involving wrist movement! I doesn't make sense to have to remove your fitness tracker when working out, but it seems I have no other option. 

This is not a good user experience. 

DebMM
Jogger

Just received my Inspire 2 because my beloved Inspire HR died. I HATE the water lock feature. I have had the Inspire 2 for one hour, and it has gone into water lock a dozen times so far. PLEASE give us a disable button for water lock. What a horrible situation.

Lyn1234
Jogger
We’ve been asking for over a year for this ridiculous water lock to be disabled. I’d thoroughly recommend returning your Fitbit whilst you can, mine is now permanently stuck on water lock. It also constantly fails to record my activities correctly and even shows me going for a run when I’m sat on the sofa! Complete waste of money. I was so pleased with my HR and loathe the Inspire so much

Sent from my iPhone
jmsimes
First Steps

So it is now March 2022 --1 year since the water lock problem was first discussed here.  Is there any plan to update and include a disable water lock feature? It is SO VERY IRRITATING not to be able to disable it now!!!! Would like to be able to recommend this product but can't until the water lock issue is resolved.

KatMayy
Jogger

The other day my Inspire HR broke. I loved it so much. I was so excited to get the Inspire 2. After just 1 day, I’ve decided I’ll be returning it. The water lock feature is awful and makes me hate wearing the Fitbit. With so many other brands, and seeing how you ignore user feedback on here, there’s no point. Too bad too because I so loved my Fitbit

MTR2022
Recovery Runner

Just adding myself to this long list. This device absolutely needs a firmware update with a 'Disable Water Lock' option. I don't understand how it even made it to retail stores in the current state. I'm being prompted multiple times a day - with wristbuzzes - to turn on a feature in which I have no interest and would never use. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I found this as a reply from a moderator in a thread about something else:

'We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. .... Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.'

I guess 2 hugely long threads and unanswered emails to the CEO about our frustration with absolutely no response or useful help haren't enough to get the help we've asked for.

I've been posting in the 2 threads for nearly a year now and, had mine not been a gift from my daughter (who, obviously, I don't want to upset), it would have been returned within a couple of days. It's actually getting worse. It turns itself on roughly every 5 minutes or so and I have to recharge daily. My frustration is almost at throwing it in the bin levels.

The customer support is appalling in this matter and, having had many happy years with Fitbit, there will be no more after my Inspire 2 dies which won't be very long I think. I can't believe how badly we've been treated and how we've been ignored for so long about something that is a defective design and absolutely not our fault. 

pamhrab
First Steps
  • We need an option to disable 'Water lock'! I have a new Inspire 2 and I hate the constant pop up and I have "no notifications" set! This is NOT up to the standards we expect from Fitbit.
MTR2022
Recovery Runner

At any point, Fitbit could have put out a little statement on these forums, to say that their Devs are working on a fix, that it should be available within x months, that it's in beta or whatever. We've had nothing. 

It ought to be barely more than a few tens of hours work, to send a 'double-press-and-hold' on both side buttons to NULL, or take it out completely and let the swimmers navigate to Water Lock with two more clicks, rather than a shortcut the other 99.9% of users don't need. Or they could have made the existing firmware a Swimmer's version and given everyone else an optional Clean version with no WL shortcut. 

It's been two years now; the new model is imminent, which renders the Inspire 2 End-of-Life. It's never going to happen now, is it ? 

Lyn1234
Jogger
I agree I don’t think they have any intention or interest in fixing this water lock nonsense. Pretty short sighted though if they think we are all going to forgive and forget and buy the latest model. I’ll never consider a Fitbit in future. This is my third and definitely the last and I tell everyone who will listen to avoid them now. I used to recommend when I had the HR. Google bought and destroyed a good product

Sent from my iPhone
JaniceBrabaw
First Steps
Yeah I stopped using mine because of the water lock. --
Janice Brabaw
Noyl
Recovery Runner
I have had the same problem for a year and have been following your posts. It seems like you said Fitbit has no interest in helping with this product even with the huge number of people using it.
I was wondering if while you have been thinking about replacing it you have come across a better product that will interface with the apps we are currently using?
Could you please give me a couple of names of products you have been considering? I am a senior who has used electronic products since the first reasonably priced home computer in the 1980s but the sheer number of products of this kind is overwhelming. I really don't want to have to constantly find a work around for another product.
Thanks for continuing to keep us up to date !

Sent from my iPad
ecbpdx
Recovery Runner

Just about a year later, 8 pages of comments asking for “water lock” to be an option. 426 votes in favor. Is Fitbit planning to look into the problem??

mirbol
First Steps
During the day, the unit vibrates several times and goes into the menu options. This is due to quick movement that activates the buttons. The vibration is annoying, less so than the involuntary activation of water lock (there is already a suggestion to disable it from a year ago). It seems there needs to be a longer time to activate the menu.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @mirbol, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about not getting the "Water Lock" function activated when pressing the button with us. Your feedback is appreciated and because a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

LissaLynn83
First Steps

Just adding my vote to disable "water lock" mode. Bought my new Inspire 2 today (to replace broken Inspire) and received it today, less than 3 hours later I'm so frustrated that my head is going to explode! I'm a loyal FitBit user for almost a decade, but there has GOT to be a fix for the water lock issue if people. Please. I don't like resorting to begging, but I am just that desperate.

I've tried wearing the band more loosely, moving it around on my arm a little, etc (all the "suggested ideas") - nothing works and I'm getting little annoying water lock notification vibrations on my wrist that are distracting and disrupting me. I will likely NEVER use my FitBit in water, I never need this feature. Please, please do an update. I don't want to have to stop using my FitBit. 

KathyGH
Keeping Pace

I just got my Inspire 2 today. Not a happy girl. I am really missing my old Inspire HR. It was so simple to use. This water lock thing is out of control. Stays on all the time. Can't even see or use the other features because of water lock always being on. I will be calling for assistance tomorrow. I really don't like this new one for so many reasons. 

janeyq17
First Steps

My inspire 2 arrived yesterday and I'm already regretting it! The water lock is infuriating! Everytime I move my arm it seems to vibrate to tell me the water lock is on! 

MTR2022
Recovery Runner

Okay, I think I've found a possible fix/workaround for the Water Lock bug.

Good news: there are third-party straps with an integrated cover for the watch body; they have just enough 'stand-off' to virtually ensure that the WL prompt isn't engaged by, for instance, wearing the watch nearer the wrist joint and bending your hand upwards 👍🏻

Bad news: they mostly come in kid sizes 😬 But adult versions do exist. Search eBay. Or see link below. 

I wore one for a day last week and wasn't prompted once. I accidently ordered the kids one though, and was on the first notch of the strap, so it didn't feel 'safe' and was a bit tight.

However, I might carefully cut the body off (it's all one part, connected to the straps) and wear it with my original band.

Hope this helps someone. Please post back on here if it did. 

Compatible bands on eBay with integrated central cover  

MTR2022
Recovery Runner

My link doesn't now work and I can't edit it. Trying again.

Alt strap with integral cover.  

MTR2022
Recovery Runner

Check sizes with sellers first. 

Geocat
First Steps

This is a vote to disable water lock.  I didn't chose to lock it and when it does I need to basically beat the fitbit till it unlocks. Just this feature is giving me pause to select another type of fitness watch.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.