Option to show Kilojoules in Dashboard and all apps

Many countries favour using Kilojoules instead of calouries for enrgy input and output. Please add the option to choose in all relevent dashboard areas.

Moderator edit: Labels

542 Comments
jendo
First Steps

please enable an easy conversion to kilojolues (I am in New Zealand)

1 calorie = 4.1868 kilojolues - this should be easy to do.

monkee
First Steps

I also agree with this suggestion. I hope fitbit listens to its customers and adopts this suggestion!

mkav
First Steps
Another Australian here. Please add kilojoules. It's weird to market your product in a country where kilojoules are the standard measurement without this option. I just assumed as you could buy fitbit here it would use measurement units relevant here.
carlton28
First Steps
The fitbit shouldn't be sold in Australia if you can't use one of its features, alot of the world use the metric system. Surely it's not hard.
tikkie
First Steps

This is even worse for elderly people like myself - and I've just sent one to my 74 year old sister to help her keep track of her fitness and stay healthly - and now we have to convert the calories!!!!

Please do something about this soon and make the changes available for update on currently used flex bands.

Blossom62
Jogger

Loving my new Fitbit Flex..only bought it yesterday, so learning alot now! Living in Australia, I wish it had a kilojoule counter and not a calorie one! Or at least an option! How do I vote please?

kezev
First Steps

I agree with all of the above.  Just got my FitBit today and this was one of the first things I looked for - very lax for a product that is "international".  I must admit to being extremely surprised that a product marketed in Australia does not have the appropriate units of measurement for this country - I feel a little ripped off. Please release an update - I would not have thought it would have been all that difficult to do????

mrmckeb
First Steps
This seems crazy to me. Fitbit Flex is amazing, my Aria scales are amazing - but no kilojoules means that entering foods is a nightmare - which it shouldn't be.
bunnywatson
First Steps

Seriously? People have been asking for this for years now. Not hyperbole years, ACTUAL YEARS.

It's a simple conversion and would cost them nothing in time to do it. It's literally the US and UK that use calories. Everywhere else uses kj. And if they can change their crazy imperial system to metric (yes, that's right, i said it, the imperial system is crazy), surely there's a similar line of code that will change calories to kj.

I'm actually considering returning mine and pursuing a false advertisement claim, since the advertising for fitbits in Australia states that you can track your food and steps, but you cant actually track your food because there is no Australian food database and nothing over here is labelled in calories. It's like marketing a dictionary in France, and telling people they can learn the meanings of words, but writing the whole darn thing in Indonesian! $126 for a pedometer. Give me a break, fitbit.

MarkScowen
Recovery Runner

Seriously, only a few countries still use Imerial, get out of the dark ages, this should be such a simple thing to have Kj option and its rediculous that you make us vote. Just Do it! Start being repsonsive to your customers for goodness sake or they will all start using other Apps and other products.

Snowwiz
First Steps

I use myfitnesspal for all my food logging because of this. It's ridiculous!

Snowwiz
First Steps

You Have to Post a Comment to Have a Vote!

So just comment "same here" and get your vote in.

Woman Tongue

Moderator edit: Format.

N1ck
First Steps

Please provide kilojoules.  The longer you leave it the higher the risk of compensation you may need to pay disgruntled consumers for not disclosing the incompatibility outside UK and US.

Although only 60 plus have voted for this, most people would assume it is a setting that needs to be adjusted and have not just found it yet.

Having to vote for it seems rather odd.

N1ck
First Steps

Need kilojule information rather than non supported calories 

Shoonya
Jogger

Please change the dashboard for Australians.
We use kilojoules not calories and it would be so much easier if I were able to track the amount of kiljoules I have burned, in unison with my fitness pal.
The reason I bought the fitbit is because I was told that it does actually measure the burnt kilojoules.
If I have do the steps, so be it. Please change and make my life easier. I have chemo brain from cancer treatments, so would really appreciate you making life easier for me. Thank you in advance. Woman Frustrated

MrsIwa
First Steps

+1 to add kilojules 

Come on fitbit a 10 year old could code this!

Your customers have only been asking for a year...

Shoonya
Jogger

Please allow Australians a kilojoule count in the databaseof Fitbit. I vote fitbit grants us this necessary component of this marvelous little tracker I bought.

It truly is disappointing having to sit down with the calculator every time I need to figure out how many kilojoules I've burnt during my day.

I stopped using imperial calories back when I was 10 years of age. Learnt metric in primary school. Really simple and easy to use.

Please come and catch up with the rest of the world and give us kilojoules and an Aussie Foods data base. Not Calorie King. Calorie King are a bit off with their measurements and so I don't use them.

I would use a food data base based on the Australian Dieticians guidelines. This would be marvellous. Please help us. Shoonyananda of Sydney. 🙂 _/\_

kesB
First Steps

I definitely feel that you should be able to convert calories to kilojoules in the settings on both the computer and app. I find it very frustrating that when I try to input food details that it won't let me input my kilojoule intake. In Australia our food labels mostly show Kilojoules. I have an app on my iphone called MyFitnessPal which you can change from calories to kilojoules. I hope Fitbit is listening. It is a very simple thing to do.

I find it disappointing that this is not available already. Fitbit is everywhere in Australia! Come on, just make it happen please.

kesB
First Steps

I agree with everyone above too. This is a bit of a sham. Australians are being shortchanged. We shouldn't have to put up with a product that is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. It seems counterproductive to ask us to put our comments on the community board and vote, after already sending in feedback. Maybe this should go further to Fair Trading. 😞

xitrapharlax
First Steps

Unbelievable that such a large company can't implement such a simple and neccessary feature.

hellopeople
First Steps

a calorie converter or the option to change to kilojoules would be a usefull adition to the fitbit app and dashboard. 

x0lani
First Steps

It's not just Australia and Europe, South Africa uses kilojoules as well!

Kapow
First Steps
Hello
Can you please add an Australian food lisiting to all of the Fitbits and also allow for kj's to be used instead of calories. Currently I have a fitbit flex and was thinking of upgrading but I won't be until these issues are fixed. At the moment it is so painful having to convert kilojoules to calories and then inputting each individual item I have stopped logging my food intake. So because of this what I have basically bought is an expensive pedometer. Not thrilled with the flex at all because quite frankly it isn't very flex!
PotatoCandy
Jogger

This. There was a post ages ago but as I said, ages ago, saying the same thing and the moderator said, quoting, "This is great feedback. Thank you!" and yet a whole year later nothing was done.

Conversion itself isn't hard, as the conversion is linear,

calourie=(kilojoule*specific heat capacity of water)

but it becomes tedious meal after meal after meal.

Moderator: please kindly ask the developers to put an option in the phone app to multiply all those calouries by 4.186

It's literally all you need to do to convert dietary calourie to kilojoule.

Any programmer can implement this in half an hour's time. Hell, even I am confident to say that I can do it and I'm not even good at programming

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yo, brothers in Obamaland. Get with the movement Man and add a line of code to allow the use of the units of energy that 90% (thats NINETY PERCENT) of the communities of the world use. Stop this 'only Calories' crap. You can live in the past if you want to but let citizens choose. Fitbit programmers must be like the US Senate, a bunch of old farts, average age about 65, EXTREMELY conservative. US Congress voted to go metric in the 1970's but the Senate blocked the bill several times, so now the US still has gallons, pounds, feet, Fahrenheit, and Calories.

Time to move forward and get with the majority.

I suspect sales of the fitbit will start to scale down with the release of the Apple watch, which although designed in the USA WILL be able to do kiloJoules!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.