Option to show Kilojoules in Dashboard and all apps

Many countries favour using Kilojoules instead of calouries for enrgy input and output. Please add the option to choose in all relevent dashboard areas.

Moderator edit: Labels

542 Comments
BronzeWing
First Steps

VERY surprised to find my Fitbit cant be set to kjs. Get you act together Fitbit......I wont be recommending to others until you review your marketing strategy and either declare upfront that its only in calories OR offer the obvious alterative to metric countries.

Shell72
First Steps

I agree will the other 70 odd posts on this issue. Kj need to be added!!!!!!!

It really can't be that hard. Please

goggleBOX
First Steps

It would be worth while adding something to the FAQ about this as well as I spent 20 mins looking for someonthing in hte help section before finding this fourm.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Hi Googlebox,
They will never do it. They are all old fart British imperial, foot in the grave, programmers.
Why do you think the airline industry uses the old metric of how long the king’s big toe was (feet and inches), while the rest of the world uses metric?
Simple…inertia is easy (even though their military is all metric….can’t have one allied army firing rockets 25 km when it should be 25 miles, for another metric based army).
I can’t wait for the Apple watch. Fitbit gear will be a curiosity in a few years and the kilojoule issue is just another nail in the coffin!
Cheers
David
Angsty
Recovery Runner

Please provide a kilojoule measure for energy for all of us in the rest of the world that are not American.  If you are going to provide metric units of measure, then provide metric units of measure for energy.

Please provide additional food databases for other countries that are not America. They are out there - negotiate the deal to make it happen.

I was going to upgrade my Flex to a ChargeHR for my birthday in July but I have decided not to spend any more money with fitbit and will be actively looking at other options... that watch looks interesting....

Very disappointed at the lack of progress with this issue from fitbit.  Oh well, a disgruntled customer makes sure to tell at least 10 other people about their negative experience, right??  6 more people to go for me.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
They are Just old fart conservative programmers. They will never change.
D

Sent from my iPad noir.
Princey
First Steps

I'm right there with all of these comments.  We need kilojoules for our Fitbits in Australia,  pleeeease.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Hi There,
I am convinced it won’t happen. They don’t care, we are a small market c.f. USA, and the USA Senate are all mostly old farts that want to stick with British imperial.
Never mind Fitbit will become a curiosity as the Apple Watch smashes them.
Kilojoule Man
skibba
First Steps
Please add this feature, unbelievable to have metric measurements but not this!
Angie_E
First Steps

Yes PLEASE!!!! I have an app (FatSecret) that contains South African foods etc. and operates with calories OR kilojoules but this is not available on Fitbit ... come on!!! 

skulbow
Jogger

My first post since getting a Fitbit Surge but have to say there definately needs an option to choose kilojoules or calories... so I have added my vote.

DewaneeRaksha
First Steps
Introduced an australian food data base but still not supporting kj? This change would mean i could use your app exclusively and it would be worth getting an Aria scale.
drb279
First Steps

My fault for not checking before I ran out and bought my Charge yesterday, but I (possibly foolishly) assumed because of the pommy lady doing to voiceovers on the videos that FitBit is a UK company...

I got home all excited and set it up... all good except calories don't mean anything to me so I went hunting for the kJ setting... OMG IT'S NOT THERE? Srsly?!?!

As angsty says

If you are going to provide metric units of measure, then provide metric units of measure for energy.

It's a cool device, but this seriously limits the usefulness anywhere outside of the US.

Baudwalker
Recovery Runner

I'm with everyone here I'm from Australia and request kilojoules. If the app can use all other measures like cups, ounces, grams, kilograms, inches, miles, centimetres and kilometres surly another conversion could not be that hard.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Come on FitBit. No one would ship a car to a metric country with a miles per hour speedometer and expect you to calculate every speed zone sign on the road as you drive by. This should not be an 'option' if you sell the product outside of the three countries that are still lagging on conversion to metric any more than a speedometer in a car. It would be great if could make this the next software update download !
Status changed to: New
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

An Australian food database is now available! To switch to it: log onto Fitbit.com > click the gear icon in the top right-hand corner > click settings > click the personal info tab on the left > on the food database section select Australia on the pulldown > click save at the bottom of the page. Click here for more information about how to log food.

In regard to kilojoules, I would recommend voting and commenting on this post.

jfellows
First Steps
As per all other comments, please have kilojoule conversion. 2/3 metric ain't bad. 🙂
GeeKau
Recovery Runner

Another +1 for this. It's great that they now have the Australia food database, but the next step now is letting us see KJs on the apps, dashboard, and devices. As others have said, while it's not that hard to convert, KJ is more meaningful to us here in Oz.

PeteCuthbert
Recovery Runner

PLEASE include Kilojoules as an energy option. I'm tired of converting kj to calories for every new feed.

Hades
Jogger

+1 for kilojoules. 

@dssims wrote:

Many countries favour using Kilojoules instead of calouries for enrgy input and output. Please add the option to choose in all relevent dashboard areas.

oz-e
Jogger

Not showing kilojoules is just yet another reminder of how insular Americans are.

Baudwalker
Recovery Runner

Looks as ifg FitBit is thumbing their nose at us. it really gets me how boof headed some companies are towards thing shuch as this small addition. they have just about everyother measurement but not kilojoules.

even as their support is better than everyone else the product is hopless, hence making Fitbit also hopless

MikeyJeff
First Steps
Hi all - I'm another recent user to Fitbit - again from Australia. It would make sense to have kilojoules as the energy intake given there is already metric support for mass and measurement. Anyway hopefully another voice helps! Cheers!
Au_
Stepping Up

new email overnight saying you have added more foods to the australian database

great - but they are still in calories?

can someone please take this on board?

Deejay69
First Steps
Most annoying that a simple option for this isn't available!
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.