Real Integration of Fitbit with Mapmyrun

The current Fitbit integration with MapMyRun is really not practical for what most users of mapmyrun actually use. MapMyRun is primarily used as a place to track the actual runs a person runs and the other features of MapMyRun and MyFitnessPal all work off this basic functionality. The current integration does NOT do this.

What everyone else who claims to have an integration with MapMyRun does is this.

Export from Fitbit to MapMyRun the actual run event which includes the following:

1. Distance

2. Steps

3. Duration

4. Average Pace

5. Calories

6. Time

7. GPS mapping information

8. Splits, if possible

9. Heartrate

The current tracker sends over general daily information, which it is very interesting, it really is not that relevant as it relates to the use of MapMyRun. You really should remove any advertising of an integration with MapMyRun until you actually import the event. Your current integration with MapMyRun is basically useless, for all practical purposes.

Moderator edit: Labels

40 Comments
dannydd
Jogger

Just bought the Blaze, and went on my first run with it today.  I setup the sync in MMR because I have used it frequently in the past.  I was shocked to see that this does not already work. So annoyed by this and some other things.  I definitely think Fitbit is misrepresenting what it can offer. 

dannydd
Jogger

In all fairness, I do see that the TCX file is accessible via the API:

https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/activity/#get-activity-tcx

It does appear to be in beta, however.  Having said that, it's a matter of MapMyRun using this to integrate and import the TCX data, so I would advise that you also make this request to MapMyRun.

dannydd
Jogger

I just found out from MapMyRun that even though Fitbit does make all this data available via their public API, the integration and limitation is on Fitbit's side regarding this because Fitbit is using the public API of MapMyRun for the integration and not the other way around.  Here is my conversation with MapMyRun for reference:

-------------------------------------------------------------

-dannydd

According to Fitbit, their API allow all the information from a run (i.e. GPS coordinates, pace, distance, HR, etc.), which MapMy should be able to easily access and import. Currently, I have to manually export the tcx file from Fitbit and then import. Why is MapMy not taking advantage of the API to fully integrate and pull all the various data elements in?

As an FYI...Here is a link to the appropriate data file that can be retrieved via the API: https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/activity/#get-activity-tcx

Please make this happen. I'm an IT consultant and developer if you need some help, although I think you probably have that covered.

-Marian (Help & Support)

Thanks for writing. The information we receive from Fitbit is limited to daily step and sleep totals. We do not currently have the ability to import workout or heart rate data from any Fitbit device. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Since the information we receive from Fitbit is limited to aggregate step data, we list it in the 24/7 view on both the app and the dashboard on the website. We do not receive time-series data for Fitbit steps, so we cannot complete the daily graph, but the total steps should appear in the "Steps" tile below the graph.

You can view your 24/7 step data here

If you have any other questions or issues please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
Marian

-dannydd

Hi Marian,
I appreciate your response; however, what you are stating is not accurate. As I mentioned in my follow-up, the information you can receive from Fit bit is not limited to daily step and sleep totals. The other information (GPS, distance, calories, HR info, pace, etc.) can all easily be obtained from the Fiitbit API. In fact, the same file (.TCX file) that can be automatically be obtained via the Fitbit API can be downloaded by users and manually and imported into MapMyRun. Are you saying that MapMyRun doesn't care to or doesn't plan on development to be able utilize these features of the Fitrbit API to be able to sync this data? Just so you are aware there is a large number of MapMy users that would love to have this feature, and from looking at the forums, they are under the assumption this is a limitation of Fitbit; however, I have confirmed that is not the case. Looking forward to your reply.

-Marian (Help & Support)

Our integration with the Fitbit app is based on their use of our public API. As such, we have no control over the data exchanged between apps. Please contact their support team with further questions regarding the syncing of our applications. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Thanks,
Marian

-----------------------------------------------------

Having said that, Fitbit, please fix and make it more useful.  As it stands right now, it's useless.

qt16
Jogger

I had this level of integration with my MS Band & MapMyRun. I assumed the Fitbit Blaze I got to replace it would also. Pretty disappointing to see that it's not supported. So Fitbit says it's because of MMR and MMR says it's because of Fitbit ...

Elles1
Jogger

Please can you get HR data to link from Fitbit to Map my Run. links some aspects but not all. Disappointing! 

Vancelot
Recovery Runner

I just bought the Ionic and was shocked to find out that my runs would would not sync to MMR.

I thought that since it has a built in GPS  like other running watches, that it would for sure integrate with MMR.

I really hope they fix this.

In the mean time, I can manually download the TCX from fitbit and import into MMR.

RunnerTim
Jogger

If you look at Fitbit's approach, they use the Under Armor apps integrations heavily, such as pulling in food data from my fitness pal. They appear to go out of their way to block the integration to apps like map my run. In other words, they are willing to consume others data to make their app more usable, but are not willing make their data easily consumable to others. Clearly, they are trying to win in the market by their community, not their devices.

My solution after writing this post and waiting for any relevant response is I simply tell everyone I know in the running community, and I know a lot of people, not to buy a Fitbit as it is not open and doesn't work well with other apps. I have been partly responsible for more people buying a Garmin or other device, instead of a Fitbit, than Fitbit would like to know. 

I do not feel this is inappropriate because Fitibit basically fibs in their advertising when they imply that they have a working integration with other applications like Map My Run, but really have a token integration that is totally unusable. Finally, they have not given any public commitment to an actual, real integration; therefore, I have to draw the conclusion that their actions are intentional.

Warn others. There a better options than Fitbit with awesome communities of users. I purchased it automatically because it was recommended as a replacement for my Microsoft Band. . . . 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Actually @RunnerTim Fitbit provides the API and let's Under Armor pull from or send to Fitbit what Under Armor wants to. Fitbit does not push or pull anything from them. 

RunnerTim
Jogger

Actually, @Rich_Laue, my understanding is that the GPS and event data is not shared. From outside appearances, it appears that Fit Bit is playing a bit of a smoke and mirrors game. They advertise as having an integration with Map My Run, yet only a small amount of data goes over. (Steps, for instance.) However, the actual event does not go over. Fitbit, does manage to consume myfitnesspal food input data. Other companies who advertise as having an integration, do integrate the GPS data, time, etc. Based on the following information, it seems that Fitbit is participating in shady advertising when they advertise as having an integration that has no real practical use. Furthermore, if you look at other products, Fitbit seems to operate in a similar manner.

It is not a great leap to assume that what Fitbit is trying to do is own the community. If they want to do this; that is there prerogative. They should not, however, advertise as having integrations that they do not have.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Well gps may not be shared through fitbit's API, but Strava through some type of agreement does get heart rate as well as GPS pushed to them. I believe Strava is the only company's that Fitbit actually sends data to, the rest retrieve the data through fitbit's API. 

I guess can say Fitbit consumes the food data that myfitnesspal sends them. 

As for as interfacing with other apps, simply because they don't seem to interface they way you and a few others want them to, does not make Fitbit deceptive. 

In fact their are many companies that have access to Fitbit users data that Fitbit doesn't even know about. This is because Fitbit has an open API and they don't require third parties to seek premission. 

You can read more about what data syncs with a few of the apps here. The third party FAQ and a page with partners

From the FAQ: 

WHY DOESN'T FITBIT UPDATE THE {app} INTEGRATION AND ADD MORE FUNCTIONALITY?

Fitbit doesn't own or maintain third party integrations. It's up to the owner of the third party app to implement or update features for their app. Unless there's some sort of limitation on Fitbit's side (e.g. no Fitbit SDK), then it's safe to assume that the owner of the app is the one to contact if you're interested in seeing the integration improved.

bigetan
Jogger

Unfortunate, i was seriously considering purchasing the Fitbit Ionic but its a deal breaker if I cannot sync my runs to MapMyRun automatically.  The two services i use most are Strava and MapMyRun.  Each have been around a while and have huge user communities.   As a user i want to be able to record a run on my watch and sync that data with 2 of the most popular fitness communities out there, not asking too much.   Fitbit is losing customers the longer this continues.

AimeeJBecka
Jogger

I love my Ionic, but it needs to work with MapMyRun and/or C25K! I love C25K for the audio coaching in my ears. I can't find anything else that provides real-time coaching through my Fitbit Flyers. Let's add these features soon!

RemyPR
Recovery Runner

I like the fitbit Ionic, seems to transfer run and heart rate data flawlessly to Strava and Runkeeper....just not Under Armor apps (MapMy and Myfitnesspal).  

My Garmin transfers all run data with out issues to Under Armor apps, and through strava the run data is synced with the fitbit app.

Fitbit really needs to work with Under Armor and fix this issue.

Most likely I will throw my fitbit products in the trash and go back to Garmin.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@RemyPR have you thought about asking Under Armor it was when Strava came to Fitbit that got the heart rate syncing. 

RemyPR
Recovery Runner

Below are the two responses I received from Under Armor.

Thanks for writing in. The information we receive from Fitbit is limited to daily step and sleep totals. We do not currently have the ability to import workout or heart rate data from any Fitbit device. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Since the information we receive from Fitbit is limited to aggregate step data, we list it in the 24/7 view on both the app and the dashboard on the website. We do not receive time-series data for Fitbit steps, so we cannot complete the daily graph, but the total steps should appear in the "Steps" tile below the graph.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for following up. As I mentioned, we do not receive any GPS data from Fitbit. If you are able to export your workouts from Fitbit, you may be able to import those files on our website here http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/import/dashboard/, however, we do not have any integration with Fitbit to automatically import their GPS and workout data.

I'll pass your interest in seeing an expanded integration with Fitbit to the appropriate team for further consideration. Our support team works to ensure that all feature requests are heard by our product managers and developers, and our product direction is often impacted by insightful users like you. If you have any further ideas or suggestions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Kindly,
Tim

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Yes I'm aware of this, but since Strava is able to receive heart rate it is possible. Under armor will need to reach out to Fitbit. 

1Bishop
Jogger

Would love to connect my heart rate to mapmyrun

t20alex
First Steps

Just got the Ionic yesterday and ran with it today. Love the watch, picked it up over the fact that it has GPS and music, so I can leave my phone behind. Was kind of shocked that mapmyrun syncing has to be manual via TCX. That is what I used to do with garmin watch half a decade ago.Please sync run workouts automatically.

dannydd
Jogger

I don't want to crush your wishes, but with Fitbit, that isn't going to happen...They don't listen to their customers. If I were you, I would return your Iconic while you still can and get something better, where they actually support their product and listen to customers.

RemyPR
Recovery Runner

I recommend returning the ionic and getting the Garmin Vivoactive 3 HR.

Unfortunately I missed the return window for the Ionic..but I am going to get a Garmin and throw the ionic in the trash!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@t20alex the phone is not needed with the ionic. 

If you would like MMR to have gps tracked exercises like Strava, then Under Armor will have to approach Fitbit. Fitbit is a gentleman and doesn't force it's data into any third party but allows them to access what they want. 

RemyPR
Recovery Runner

@Rich_Laue

That's not what Under Armor says...

Below is what Under Armor told me when I asked:

Below are the two responses I received from Under Armor.

Thanks for writing in. The information we receive from Fitbit is limited to daily step and sleep totals. We do not currently have the ability to import workout or heart rate data from any Fitbit device. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for following up. As I mentioned, we do not receive any GPS data from Fitbit. If you are able to export your workouts from Fitbit, you may be able to import those files on our website here http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/import/dashboard/, however, we do not have any integration with Fitbit to automatically import their GPS and workout data.

I'll pass your interest in seeing an expanded integration with Fitbit to the appropriate team for further consideration. Our support team works to ensure that all feature requests are heard by our product managers and developers, and our product direction is often impacted by insightful users like you. If you have any further ideas or suggestions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Kindly,
Tim

==============================================End of Under Armor Comments.

To me this is a problem with Fitbit not sharing proper information....I have no issues with getting Garmin data to automatically sync with Under Armor products.  The only problem I had with Garmin was getting Garmin data into Fitbit...which works with a Strava pass through.

FITBIT REALLY NEEDS TO SOLVE THIS! if one wants to be able to have GPS data from a Fitbit sync into MapMy products.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

That is why I say they have to get together with Fitbit, Strava can not only get your exercise, gps, but also heart rate. This is not done through the normal API, but Fitbit sends it to them rather than they pulling it from Fitbit. It needs to be hashed out / setup between the two. 

RemyPR
Recovery Runner

I agree Fitbit and UA need to get it together.  It would be interesting to know how this works behind the scenes with Garmin/UA,,,Garmin/Strava,,,Fitbit/Strava, Fitbit/UA.

By the way Run Keeper successfully receives all of the Fitbit GPS and HR data...I wonder what type agreement if any Fitbit has with Asics?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.