Rowing/Stationary Rowing Machine Exercise Shortcut

Considering most of the important cardio equipment is represented in the Exercise list, I think it's more than justifiable to add a stationary rowing machine to the list. Almost every gym in America contains at least one or more Concept 2 rower as it is a total body and low impact method of Cardio. It's one of my favorites and I'm sure I am not the only user that is a bit disappointed that is not represented.

Moderator edit: Edited title for clarity and added labels.

1,030 Comments
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @gladys213, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about here. Keep adding these suggestions.

GolfBravo79
Recovery Runner

My Charge 3 is auto-detecting it as Elliptical and it's a real pain in the backside.  I row 3-4 times a week and have to manually add each one so it records properly; it's becoming a little tedious!

PLEASE add 'Rowing Machine' to the list of pre-defined exercises you can trigger from the watch!

missmon14
First Steps
This is the same thing you keep saying. Just add stationary rowing. I am
sure it is not that complicated. It clearly would make your customers
happy.
Regards
Robmacknz
First Steps
After having to have my charge 3 replaced after less then a year and then
having display issues within a couple of months I have given up and gone
the Huawei way. Early days yet but it has built in gps and a indoor rowing
exercise shortcut.
gladys213
Jogger

what is Huawei?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would be interested in knowing about positive experiences with trackers that can cover indoor rowing as well. I have concept 2 with PM3 monitor so have to cable to the pc and then upload the data to concept 2 logbook. Concept 2 do provide an integration with fitbit once the data is uploaded so that's one way of doing it. It's good to compare though. I can then see how good the wrist monitor is compared to a polar heart rate monitor etc.

That aside i'm on my 3rd cracked screen. 2 replacements under warranty. They wont replace the 3rd so I'm weighing up my options. I find the charge does not like temperature changes. ie going from a hot temperature to an air conditioned room. Possibly something to do with the glass not being able to cope with the metal expanding I suspect.

Robmacknz
First Steps
A very large and successful Chinese tech company, or the biggest spy agency
in the world. It depends on how much tin foil you go through.
Robmacknz
First Steps
Huawei band 4 pro. Had it less than 12 hours but it seems like a solid
piece of kit. Colour screen, built in gps and... a indoor rowing exercise
shortcut. It's smaller than the charge 3 as well. Sick at the moment so
I'll have to wait to see how it performs. Half the price of the Fitbit.
Robmacknz
First Steps
My first charge 3 died with a blank screen. The replacement has 4 rows of
dead pixels after only a couple of months. That and the inaction on the
rowing shortcut was enough for me to jump. It a shame, I loved the fitbit.
I have only just got the band 4 pro but it seems very slick. Does
everything that the charge 3 did but with a colour screen and a rowing
shortcut. Oh, built in GPS as well.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would like to see the indoor rowing activity added to my charge 3.

LadyBirdUK
First Steps

I’m leaving this thread after three years if emails and comments. I started my own, which also had in excess of a thousand replies and was shutdown by FitBit. It’s absolutely clear they they either don’t intend to - or don’t have the technological capabilities - to address this pretty fundamental need. How many gyms don’t have rowing machines for goodness sake?!

poor show Fitbit. Poor show 

Robmacknz
First Steps
Good luck, you will need it. I have gone to the Huawei Band 4 and it's
excellent.
wvier
First Steps

Would really like to have a indoor rowing option. Ergometers are getting more and more populair. To me it seems like it wouldn’t be too much of a problem to recognize the rowing stroke, not that much off from let’s say swimming? 

I have an Ionic ... would be great to see this option in an update! Thanks! 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @wvier, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about here. Keep adding these suggestions.

missmon14
First Steps
Hi
The same statement every time. Clearly Fitbit is not listening to their
customers.
Regards
SeanSwanepoel
First Steps

A year and a half in "UNDER CONSIDERATION"... LOL!!! What a Joke.
This issue was suggested as a feature over FIVE (yep, 5) years ago.

How about you Man the hell up and either:

a) Admit you're not going to add this because of whatever reason

OR
b) Add the **ahem** feature already.

SeanSwanepoel
First Steps

PS: This is going to become more and more popular as more and more people realise the benefit of rowing as a low impact workout.
It might be good to be ahead of the curve.

Jabloem
First Steps

I have a rowing machine and miss the option to log my workout on this machine. Could you add this option?

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we do have an existing integration with Concept 2 rowing machines. Learn more about how to connect your Fitbit account with another app.

We always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

zeltak09
Jogger

Please add rowing!!

vostokvladi
Recovery Runner
I found several posts asking if the rowing activity can be linked to FitBit App. Apparently there's no answer, so here I am to ask to add this feature to FitBit App and Charge 4:

Can you please add an activity of type "Rowing" to track this exercise?
Thank you.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @vostokvladi, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see Rowing as an exercise on the shortcuts of your Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Ajpaxto
First Steps
Rowing is such a popular gym/home workout but there is not an adequate exercise to track this.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Ajpaxto, thanks for explaining why you would like to see "Rowing" on Exercise Shortcut on Fitbit watches and trackers. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

BigDaddySun
First Steps
Fitbits don't appear to be able to track any data when using rowing machines (in my case, a Waterrower). I've tried tracking on my wrist, in my pocket, clipped to a sock. Nada. Any suggestions how to accomplish this? And, if not, how about those programmers adding rowing to the "activities-to-track to-do" list? 😉
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.