Search for Activity Groups

Since the Activity Group page was reworked the search feature is gone. You only can narrow down the groups by selecting the first and second letter of the group name. Then you have to display 20 more groups again and again. 

This makes it almost impossible to find interesting groups with a name containing e.g. London. I can narrrow down the list to groups starting with Lo but how about a group named "Running London"?   

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity and labels

60 Comments
kumoku
First Steps

1. Can there be a search bar for the groups? I shouldn't have to scroll endlessly looking for one specific topic, the "sort by the first two letters" doesn't really cut down on things.

2. The admins of the forums need to archive long dead groups. They're just taking up space.

Moderator Edit: Label

maskaw
Walker

1. Filter Currently thousands of groups and nearly impossible to find and join groups according to interest. Search and filter should be improved. Filter by first 2 letters not effective.

2. Inactive groups are taking up spaced should be removed. No way of knowing activity level of group by current sort / filter feature. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Cyberider and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. Further development of groups on the web app is not currently planned, however it's likely there will be further development on the mobile app. Please vote/follow this feature suggestion here to add groups to the mobile appYou can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQsThanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

aliendancer
Base Runner

I use the mobile app but I don't want to use it for groups. The way you do groups on the mobile app completely sucks. I would like to see this feature added as a search option on the PC. I currently wear two activity trackers and frankly as you remove the features I actually use and replace them with crap I am likely to move to the Garmin and get rid of the fitbit.

kumoku
First Steps

I find that extremely disappointing that further group development isn't going to be done (espicially for group search). There's hundreds, possibly thousands of inactive/barely active groups made and the fact that we can only search by so few letters for a specific group (say eating disorders and the fitbit community), is extremely frustrating because it takes so many clicks to even get to say a phrase like "Eating disorder". 

tlmartin
First Steps

I would love to see a better group search function! Slogging through the list alphabetically is silly and not at all customer friendly.

momzy
Jogger

I give up trying to find a group. I have been at it almost an hour and I could have done how many steps on my own by now lol. I have not been able to find any groups that look active and have searched several ways. Maybe there should be a few ways to sort, so for instance how active. I did not see any groups that were started less than 100 days ago. Hope someday it changes and is easier

BNewman
Jogger

Activity groups is the most sticky part of the fitbit experience. It's really what fitbit has going for it.  As a stockholder and user it's hard to believe more effort is not being put into better development of the use of activity groups and the fitbit community in general.  We should be able to search activity groups by many criteria such as location, active status, number of members, topic/theme etc. etc.  Someone who comes in brand new to fitbit without knowing a group already will likely abandon fitbit and switch to garmin or some other tracker/pedometer.

Abdielh
First Steps

Such basic function, I can't believe we have to request it.

Jaseph
Recovery Runner

Okay I am going to simply tell you like it is. The current way of searching sends a clear message to your users: We don’t care at all about your user experience.  

The current way of searching is absolutely ridiculous.  It’s virtually impossible. Do you expect people are going to spend the time it would take to find a group that your current method requires.  

If you do not add a workable way to search groups, I will fire you.  How? I will return to GARMIN, which has the ability to search groups.  

If you were required to use this function yourself, not only would you change it quickly, your superiors would fire whoever thought this was a workable way of doing things.  

In fact the very ides that you have so little pride in yourselves that you would publicly present this as something your customers are supposed to accept as a solution bids very poorly for the future of your company.  

The current way of searching is the equivalent of giving your users a giant block of ice and a toothpick to remove some ice for their drinks.   

And then after foisting such a thing on us, you have the absolute audacity to say you have no plans to change it.  

You people need a big lesson in customer service.   

RobotQ
Recovery Runner

Once again I can't believe this feature was rolled out without basic user requirements implemented. How in the world is anyone supposed to find a group??? I created a group, I gave people the name of it, but they can't find it to join it. What good is my group then???

Saric
First Steps

Its is absolutely ridiculous you can't do this.

Discalceate
Jogger

Why do you not employ a system employed by, practically every other search engine, where you just type in what you are looking for? 

I mean, even searching for more than just the first two characters would be a marked improvement.

Moderator edit: Word choice.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I basically never use the groups because I can't search for groups I'd be interested in.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Discalceate! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Discalceate! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Azpickleball
First Steps

It would be nice to be able to search groups. For instance a pickleball group would be nice to join. Especially since fitbit has no future intention to include it as a sport although it is the fastest growing sport in the United States. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Azpickleball, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on Fitbit groups. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Azpickleball
First Steps
Fitbit chooses not to add a much needed feature. Really??? No wonder so many groups are created and die.

Sent from my iPad
pinkie_
First Steps

More than 2 years of people asking for the most basic function you can imagine...still no intelligent answer from Fitbit hq.

Azpickleball
First Steps
We are all anxiously waiting for fitbit to upgrade their search engine.

Sent from my iPad
APrati
First Steps

It would be nice if we could search for cities and activities. I always see the same 5-7 suggestions.

Living in a highly populated area I was surprised that DFW didn't make the list. There's also no group for martial arts. If there is I can't find it because I can't search for it. I made a group but its a closed group. I had no option to make my group open to anyone. I invited my 2 friends with the fitbit app, but I know there are thousands of people locally that are involved in my sport. It would just be nice to have a search option or the ability to open up the group. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.