Strain/recovery score based on HRV, RHR or workout HR recovery

It would be great if Fitbit added a strain or recovery score based on HRV or RHR, or workout HR recovery.  .Whoop & the Oura Ring both have it.  A body temp sensor would be great too!  

Thanks!

Brian

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

37 Comments
TiniToons
Jogger

I currently wear my Blaze and another tracker (JayBird Reign-No longer on the market). Reign offers a feature that proves invaluable to me especially as a fitness trainer that I think if integrated into FitBit it would take the tracker to the next level. The feature Reign offers is called Go-Zone. Upon waking first thing in the morning it requires you to touch and hold the tracker sensor for 2 min while it reads your electrical pulse to determine how ready you are for exercise for the day. If you score low it advises you rest and if you score mid to high it tells you to get out and kick butt. Sometimes we push ourselves too hard or not hard enough and knowing when to fall back or ramp it up has been helpful. I would LOVE to see FitBit offer this so I can have it all in ONE tracker. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

That sounds like an interesting feature, thanks for sharing @TiniToons.

AlexAce4
First Steps

Fitbit should provide the user with a readiness score that is calculated by sleep and other recovery aspects and also heart rate variability. This is very helpful for college and pro athletes as it allows them to understand how much stress their body is prepared to withstand that day, allowing them to better plan out their daily training.

HannahHarrelson
Recovery Runner

Hi Fitbit community! I've been looking into the Oura ring recently, and I really love the daily readiness feature of the app. But, I love my Fitbit too! I would prefer my Fitbit over the Oura ring device, but I would also enjoy having a daily readiness tracker in the app. It compiles information such as previous night's sleep, sleep balance, and previous day's activity to determine if you're rested enough to train optimally. I like that it can help with figuring out what your activity goal for the day should be/if you need to rest up more. 

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @HannahHarrelson! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @B4goose. Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having a strain or recovery score based on different heart rate details with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Tmmw
First Steps

I just ordered another Fitbit but now am disappointed that I did.  I didn’t know that was an option offered by competitors, for about the same price.    It would be if you guys would add that feature 

Juanant
Jogger

a little bit dissapointing that this feature is not yet implemented since it seems that the devices already register HRV. the iwatch and the whoop do that with very good results assessing strain and recovery. All the rest of the proposed features is just fancy things but not real stuff for tracking. And many people is switch to conpetitors and i am

thinking about the same.This is a buy/no buy decission feature...not water loging,or easier interfaces.

B4goose
Jogger
Agreed! If Fitbit wants to be “the Choice,”
For fitness enthusiasts, this should be a no brainer!

Sent from my iPhone
Mitch-Boss
Jogger

I agree, would love to see this feature! 

FélixL
Base Runner
It could be interesting and useful to be able to calculate your recovery based on 4 physiological markers: Heart Rate Variability (HRV), Resting Heart Rate (RHR), sleep, and respiratory rate. These metrics are calibrated to your baseline, which means your recovery is personalized each day. This recovery score could be like the sleep score!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @FélixL, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see recovery score based on HRV. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Calexander19
First Steps

Has there been any development on this? I think this is vital and the whole point of tracking calories, sleep, etc... 

I want to know before going into the next days session if my recovery is in the yellow/green so that I can expect more or if I should take it easier because of multiple days of bad recovery.

insid3r
Jogger

I bought a Fitbit Sense (the most expensive Fitbit smartwatch) and I expected to be the state of the art in terms of health data collected (as @FélixL explained and as @Calexander19 requested). 

The minimum effort from Fitbit should be at least provide the user detailed Heart Rate Variability (HRV), Resting Heart Rate (RHR), sleep, and respiratory rate accordingly.

If you're an amateur athlete or even a pro and want to understand how your body reacts to physical efforts and recovery you should consider other products as Fitbit doesn't know what to do with the data that collects.

Mitch-Boss
Jogger
You can get that information, just have to pay for Premium.. other
products, like whoop, also require premium subscriptions that cost more
than fitbit’s.
Juanant
Jogger
No.We all have the premium fir six month.It is not enouth.We should have that data not only for the night and translated into recovery time.

Sent from my iPhone
insid3r
Jogger

You're wrong @Mitch-Boss. Even with Premium (I have the free 6months) you have no access to all the data collected.

And even with all the sensors and data available Fitbit does a poor effort on providing meaningful insights about it.

Whoop does a better job a it, providing feedback about your workouts/recovery impacts on your health helping athletes managing their training plans.

Juanant
Jogger
agree.I dont understand why fitbit does so little with so much data

Sent from my iPhone
Mitch-Boss
Jogger
I did the 6 month premium trial and it definitely gives you HRV and Resting
sleeping heart rate. Pretty sure you locate it by clicking on your sleep
statistics. You also get resting heart rate without premium.

I agree with you, fitbit could do more, but considering alternatives I
think it’s pretty good. Whoop may give you more data, but there are also
annoying things about it too. It doesn’t have a display for one, so you
can’t see heart rate during a workout without opening your phone. You also
can’t use it for a clock (obviously with no display). And not to mention
the cost is more than Fitbit.
Juanant
Jogger
not having recovery time is just **ahem**, having HRV alreqdy...Lets be honest.

Sent from my iPhone
insid3r
Jogger

I can dig a little more one my disappointment as a Fitbit user and mainly as a Fitbit Premium User:

1. I don't have access to HRV, Sp02, Breathing Rate (BR) and skin temperature on Desktop (only on the app)
  2. I can't extract HRV, SpO2, BR and RHR from the platform to use it myself (lets say I want to build a performance training tool based on that data)
  3. Fitbit itself does not know how to use this data to help me on my daily training as Whoop does.

Finally I slight agree with you, Fitbit seems to be cheaper than Whoop, although with Whoop you are paying for valuable information, that's why they are succeeding. 

And I'm not saying that Fitbit Sense does not worth the money for the average smartwatch user, I'm saying is that if you're an amateur athlete or even a pro and want to understand how your body reacts to physical efforts and recovery you should consider other products.

B4goose
Jogger
Agreed. I really like the sleep tracking, but for a device called “Fitbit,” it is not even close to the others in providing work out metrics.

Sent from my iPhone
Juanant
Jogger
The data is collected by both devices,whoop and sense...why they dont show it or do something interesting with it?
HRV now is only showing trend with no much value.

Sent from my iPhone
B4goose
Jogger
I am thinking of going to Apple Watch they are doing cool things with workout data. They have a heart rate recovery function & also provide actual HRV data. They are constantly innovating their watch for fitness applications and data

Sent from my iPhone
Drajan
Jogger
Hi,
I have been using charge 4 for the last 4 months. I feel you should include the heart recovery rate on the device.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.