Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense 2 Firmware Update 194.86

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

11/29 Update: This update should now be available to all customers! If you have any difficulty updating, make sure you are following the directions in How do I update my Fitbit device? If you choose to post about your issue, provide as many specific details as possible in your post so that we can assist you.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update version 194.86 for Sense 2 will be available soon! Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers.

*Firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend performing a factory reset to force the update to your device as your data will be lost and you may not get the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Full release notes can be found here.

HOW DO I UPDATE?
See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step by step instructions for updating your Sense 2. If you run into difficulty updating, review these Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
154 REPLIES 154

@phatbitzr, I don’t think the issue you are having is the result of the firmware upgrade, but your battery being near end-of-life. If so, then if still under warranty the battery might be covered. Otherwise, if you purchased insurance, it might cover battery replacement.

What you describe sounds much like what happened with my Sense battery after 18 months, as well as several other devices, mostly cell phones, over the last decade or so. My cell phone at the time also had battery issues at around 18 months. I have seen battery lifespans decrease over time with this being the shortest I have encountered. I was carful with the Sense to avoid high drain features such as unoptimized clock faces and to set options to the best match to my needs with the least drain. I did the same with my Sense 2, expecting at the time of purchase that it would last 18 months.

With the many references to battery issues that I am seeing on the forums, I did a little research. I discovered that the type of lithium-ion battery used starts to break down at full charge, and more so when overcharged. Most manufacturers in the past decade have implemented battery technology to prevent overcharging. Yet the constant charging to 100% may be causing this breakdown. The breakdown slowly reduces the capacity of the battery and ultimately shortens the lifespan. It also looks like fast charging at near capacity may accelerate the breakdown. In hopes of delaying the need to replace my Sense 2, I am no longer attempting to get to 100% charge.

It appears that my usage is less than yours by 30% to 50%. After just over a year of use, my Sense 2 is starting to charge a little slower and the charge appears to dissipate a little faster.

I hope this helps and have a Terrific day!

Best Answer

@Goosse1962My sense 2 is only activate in April this year.  It was running fine, with 3-4 days of charge with all options activated (except always on) and roughly 2-4 hours of GPS tracking and 2 hours of tracking other non-GPS activity per day.  It was only after the firmware got updated, where auto exercise recognition of my ride was going haywire and crashing the tracker, then on the 3rd day after the firmware update (and the 3rd day of it crashing on auto exercise recognition), it would go into the boot loop and whatever happened there, the battery life got destroyed.

Best Answer

There's no chance that your battery is even approaching end of life. A reasonable expectation before noticing around 20% drop in capacity is 400 full cycles.

If you are charging your watch every 4 days, that's around 90 cycles per year. If you charge it at 20 - 30% it's not even a full cycle. Either way, you'll be 4 years before any substantial difference. Any reduction earlier than that, and any slower charging before this is the result of a defect.

Best Answer

Hello. I am looking to buy the Sense 2 but I have seen many people in the community and on other platforms disappointed by the lack of third party apps and music control. The Sense 2 initially piqued my interest due to health features like stress notifications, relax breathing sessions, and the sleep metrics (the first two of which are unavailable on the original Sense). However, as someone with chronic fatigue syndrome, it is important that my smart watch offers both the health features and the ability to use third party apps to manage my fatigue. I am also reliant on music in terms of managing my fatigue, so the lack of music control is huge. Are these features you will be considering for upcoming updates please? I have seen many posts in the community agreeing with me about these features, with one of the suggestions receiving 2,345 upvotes. It is clear that this feature is important to Sense 2 users, many of whom have returned the device or refrained from buying it due to this downgrade from the earlier model. I believe these features are not only useful for every day ease, which a smartwatch should provide, but they also provide health benefits, especially to people like myself with chronic illnesses who Fitbit claim to aid management of these conditions with their devices. I hope you consider this suggestion for the next update as I would love to buy the Sense 2, however without these features, I don't believe the watch will benefit me and others as much as it could. Thank you in advance and I look forward to reading your reply.

Best Answer

I have had a Sense 2 since it first came out. There have been a few niggles with it but since the last firmware update I have been happy with it. 

Best Answer

I have owed both Sense versions 1 & 2 I can only complain about two issues (1) is the long charging time. I usually run it down to 25% and charge which takes roughly 3 to 4 hours to get 100%. That charge lasts about a week. I have everything turned off except for training/health/GPS and I am using a few different clockfaces. (2) linking to my Pixel 7 is super wonky, sometimes it connect sometime it is a long battle to get it to connect. Otherwise I am satisfied.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I own, as do two members of my family, a Sense 2 watch. I can confirm that, in contrast to the occasional horror stories we read in this forum, we never had any issues with the watch under any firmware. Despite of being stripped of many important features, available in the previous model, the watch still retains the old Fitbit DNA with its elegant minimalistic design, ease of use, reliability, and - quite important- a week-long battery life.

It is interesting that Google, who most of us learned to associate with the benefit and added value for the user, a company who - disregarding profit - are "committed to significantly improve the lives of as many people as possible" "Advancing sustainability" , "Make life easier with a little help from our products" (all statements quoted from their website) chose to purposefully limit the functionality of an exemplary fitness tracker, following its brand acquisition. One wonders, how do such decisions tie with a visionary strategy for which central should be the public's perception of the brand and the company.

Practically, the Fitbit OS family of devices were the only ones able to compete with the other well-known brand trackers on the battery duration front (compare: 1 day of battery life for pixel watch versus, typical, 14 days for the other well-known brand trackers). For a potential customer who wants both smart watch functionality and a long lasting battery, following the stroke-of-genius decision to remove smart watch features from flagship models such as sense 2,  the other well-known brand tracker - or some other Chinese brands - become his one-way choice. Certainly not the pixel watch. Were Fitbit brand managers working for the competition?..

Best Answer
0 Votes
I congratulate you on getting three Sense 2 units that apparently function as advertised. I would love it if the reduced functionality were the only issue I had with mine, but that isn’t the case. Unfortunately, you are right that other smart watch options out there have poor battery life. The Sense 2 has only run through a charge in less than a day once, though it certainly has never had the advertised life. Lately it may be days before I can get it to charge. It looks like the gold on the contacts is flaking off. I’m going to try using conductive grease to see if that helps.

I wish you continued good luck with your devices.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

@Unerschrocken Thanks for sharing your feedback, and I apologize for the experience that you've had with the Sense 2. Our team is constantly working on our products and we appreciate the comments we receive from our members as it helps us to evaluate as well as bring improvements.

I noticed that our team provided you with more information about your watch. While I don't have access to your case, I'd recommend replying back to them if you have more questions about the resolution provided. I'm sure they'll continue helping you.

@phatbitzr Thanks for the information provided, and every step that you've tried prior to posting. As you may know, your Sense 2 should last around 6 days; however, the battery life will depend on certain features such as GPS and SpO2 tracking. You may have to charge your watch more often when using a non-Fitbit clock face. For more information, see this help article.

That being said, I went ahead to contact our Support team but it seems you already have a case with them. I'm glad you got in touch with them and rest assured they'll continue helping you with this matter.

@Goosse1962 and @Mcav75 Thanks for your insights and help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

since i updated my sense 2 I am no longer tracking sleep. I have restarted, wear watch on non dominant wrist, it is being worn the same tightness as it has for the last 3 months I have had it and my sleep has been pretty much as it usually is but nothing tracked now for last 3 nights. I have tried all your suggestions. Help. The sleep is one of the most important features for me. 

Best Answer

@Suereid Due to some health issues and choices made the day before, the auto-detect sleep often gets only part of my sleep. My issues likely aren't relevant for you. However, how I handle it my help you until the issue is resolved for you.

I routinely need to edit my sleep to include the full time period. About once a quarter no sleep gets detected. One thing you can do when no sleep is recorded is to manually add it. This requires that you know the start and stop times. In my experience, it will then give me much, but not all, of the data. Alternatively, you can active 'Begin Sleep' when you go to bed and then manually stop it when you get up. 'If' sleep is detected, you won't be allowed to save the manually recorded times as the auto-detect will get saved instead. So, the only difficulty with this second method is to remember to start and stop sleep recording.

Since you don't appear to have changed anything in your daily activities and your health hasn't changed, you might have an actual issue from the update. If you haven't already done so, I suggest opening a ticket with Fitbit Support.

I hope this helps and have a Terrific day!

Best Answer

Hello, 

I put a camera in my room that captures when I go to bed & when I get up in the morning. Then I adjust my sleep as needed. That's just an option I came up with. Good luck. 

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply.
It's a good idea but the Fitbit used to detect the time I actually went to
sleep and the awake in the night, which often adds up to more than I
realised. Also I won't get an accurate sleep score.
It does seemed to have tracked some activity last night after a lot of
fiddling about but not detailed.
----------

Good to know I never knew about manual option before. Not the
best option as not as detailed. I'd really just like it to work as it
should. It tracked something last night but not detailed. It's better than
no tracking though.
Thanks again
Thank you.
Sue

Best Answer

I got a replacement Sense 2 and all looks good so far.  Only pain is some of the 3rd party watch faces are buggy where part of the display disappears or crashes.

@Lashes77I've always had that issue with Fitbit and Strava, where I record my activity on my Fitbit tracker. and also on my bike computer, which syncs up to Strava.  With Fitbit, it also syncs up to Strava, plus it syncs back whatever thats on Strava back to Fitbit.  I only did this because I wanted to compare the GPS inaccuracies between the 3 devices.  I think this back and forth syncing is a Fitbit back end issue, or maybe allowing access of both fitbit and strava accounts from each other instead of just one?

On the Strava app, I get 2 activities and twice the mile ridden for that day.  On the Fitbit, the app or web dashboard doesn't have the ability to remove duplicate, so the calorie count doubles up and the calories chart just shows a flatline of calories (instead of going up and down) for the duration of my exercise. Its worse when I have the bike computer, fitbit and the strava app all recording.  I thought I was doing 6000 calorie days, but it probably wasn't even close to 5000.

Best Answer

My update says 60.2001.194.86 and I have crashing issues, as well as disconnecting from.bluetooth 3 times a day its  not right that users should face this.  Its alot of money and a disappointing product i am very vrry close to getting a refund or exchange as its only two weeks old..

Best Answer

Hi everyone, and a warm welcome to our new members.

@Suereid Thanks for troubleshooting your watch prior to posting, and I'm sorry for the difficulties you've had. As you may know, sleep stages data is required to generate a sleep score and provide you with other metrics such as stress management scores.

Because it's been a few days, may I know if the issue with the sleep stages still persists? If so, please go to the Fitbit app, tap the sleep tile > sleep log and let me know if you get a message explaining why the sleep stages weren't recorded. This will help me to investigate on my end.

@phatbitzr I'm glad you got a working replacement and thanks for the update. Regarding your other concern, I'd like to share with you that when tracking a GPS activity with your Sense 2, there are different factors that need to be taken into consideration. For this reason, I'd recommend this help article which describes the requirements to ensure the GPS connection, as well as some troubleshooting tips.

I'd also like to clarify that you can delete any activity log from the Fitbit app or fitbit.com dashboard with the steps described here. If you're having difficulties or get an error message, please let me know.

@Liquadia Thanks for reporting those issues, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience experienced with your Sense 2. This isn't the type of experience that we want you to have and I appreciate your feedback as it'll help us to continue working on our products. To look into this, may I know if the crashing issues happen when doing a specific action, such as using the Exercise app? If you haven't done so, let me recommend restarting your watch as this will refresh its performance. 

Because your post didn't mention, I'd recommend the troubleshooting described here to ensure the connection between your watch and the Fitbit app.

@Goosse1962 and @1GinnyME1 Thanks for your advice.

Best Answer
Once again, all my problems are ignored. I should be used to it by now.Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
Where is the answer to my issue ?
Best Answer

That seemed to work thanks, I still can't understand why a watch this expensive is so challenging to use

Best Answer
Lizzyfitbit

Thanks for your reply.
I am pleased to say my sleep tracking is now working as it should. I played
around with some settings, unsure if that helped but after 3 or 4 nights it
rectified itself.
Thank you, Sue
Best Answer