Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Sense Keeps Restarting

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve only had my Sense for 2 days but it has restarted no less than 15-20 times during the two days. I’ve tried manually restarting it and changing the clock face. Nothing seems to help. I notice it because it vibrates slightly during the restart. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

while on a run yesterday, I tracked the exercise like I always did with my Versa 2 and during the exercise, the Sense vibrated many times. I have it notify me every mile but I only went 2 miles and received 10 or so notifications. When I looked at the Sense, there was no notification on the screen. 

I don’t know if these two things are related, but they are irritating. 

Thanks

Best Answer
211 REPLIES 211

I thought it fixed itself somehow. It was great for about a week. Now my sense is back to restarting randomly a few times a day...REALLY annoying. I'm beginning to regret buying it...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yesterday it rebooted 7 times in the morning between 7:00 AM and 1:00 PM, so the replacement from Amazon is on the way. Funny thing is its been stable since 1:00PM until this morning so I was hopefully optimistic it stabilized. But as i was thinking that bam 2 restarts within 30 minutes.

There no rhyme or reason what triggers them to me. I have had the SpO2 watch-face on it since i set it up so that's not it. Like I said it reboots on the charger sitting on the table so its not a button press. It does it when i am sitting down, sleeping, walking or exercising.

I am starting to believe now the reviews i read that said is decent but it needs a lot of work to be a polished device. If the second one has the same issues i guess it's going back to my Versa for now. 

Also battery seem to be nowhere near the 6 days they advertise. 1 1/2 days in and i am @ 44% from 100%. AOD is off so what drains the battery is beyond me at this point.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Battery draining in 1 1/2 day could be a result if you have always on watch face. Perhaps check to see if that is the state of your watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rubbinio  mine has calmed down a bit in the reboots just I seem to disappear for 2-3 hrs at night. Some nights I only have 3 - 4 hrs data when I've been in bed for 7. Maybe it's a faulty sensor or just a software problem. I'm a software engineer and bug fixes are always needed, @KateFitbit   and @Fitbit  are aware.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been corresponding with Fitbit on this topic for about a month. They assure me they are paying attention but they haven't delivered anything. I asked that they consider simply turning off the vibration on restart so restarts wouldn't wake us up. It seems to me that would be any easy change that would greatly reduce the consequences of the restart problem regardless of its source. But they haven't done anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@carsimon2609 the main problem i have with that is, for me at least when it reboots all i get is basic sleep score because it says it could not get a pulse. I get bugs, trust me i am SWE as well and know that all software has bugs, its just that when i spend 500$ on a device, than they ask me to pay another 120$ / year to get the premium dash to see the stats it is supposed to provide but the hardware doesn't submit the data because it reboots it makes me wonder how well was this tested ahead of time. I have been using Fitbit for 6 years now and this is by far the buggies device i have owned form them. I am seriously contemplating going with the Versa 3 because clearly the Sense can't seem to do the extra stuff it claims it can and if the second one that just arrived behaves the same back it goes as well. My worry is that this might have to do with the new PurePulse they added in which case the Versa 3 would be just the same.

Best Answer

@Dana789  I totally understand and would like @Fitbit  with @KateFitbit to solve this quickly, but sometimes a bug takes time to resolve.

If anyone in @Fitbit  Dev needs a tester, count me in, I will help as much as possible.

Best Answer

@Rubbinio  +1 here. I am also a dev & program manager. I am too disappointed on spending the $$ on a device which has a known defect. I too am paying and using the device for the premium data, which is now unreliable due to the restarting issue. I have a case with fitbit support and per today's call - I am to receive feedback by this coming Tuesday. I would encourage others to open their own cases with fitbit support to ensure there are enough incidents tracked against this issue.

Best Answer

@Rubbinio I'm with you, long time user with Blaze, 2 Ionic's and now Sense. Other half has used charge 2 and 3 and we bought together with the Sense and Virsa3. Angi my other half, her's works perfect, sleep and everything else just works. Maybe it's me or just the sensors with temp and sweats.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So here some more testing (and frustration) over the weekend. I am pretty sure now that this is a hardware issue and not software. With me buying my Sense from Amazon I went and asked Amazon to send a replacement which they did and it arrived Friday. So I took it out, charged it and set it up exactly like my restart happy sense was, including the watch face. And the new device has had 0 restarts and much better battery life. Over the weekend here are the comparisons between the 2 device:

Old device: Charged to 100% of Friday, left on the desk doing nothing, Bluetooth was off and so was the screen. Rebooted multiple times for no apparent reason. Battery downs to 15% this morning

New device: Charged to 100% of Friday, worn all the time, checked it regularly, exercise, slept with it and had Bluetooth sync on all the time. 0 reboots, battery at 51% as of this morning.

Whatever triggers the restarts drains the battery. Also the new device seems cooler to the touch on my wrist than the other one was. Now whether this will last or this one will start restarting as well we will see but so far the new device seems to work a lot better.

Now on to the frustrating and a bit funny part. @drod206 i opened a case with fitbit support on this and their solution to my device randomly restarting was to ask me to manually restart the device and see if that fixes it. Not sure which part of random restarts they did not clue on or how one extra restart will fix anything but suffice to say it did nothing. 2 hours after restarting it the way they told me it proceeded to restart itself 3 times in a span of maybe 15-20 mins. My felling is either they don't know what is wrong with it or like i said i think it is hardware and they can't fix it in software but maybe work around it by handling it more gracefully.

Honestly, to anyone having this issues my suggestion is if you can replace the device and hope you get one that works because i have serious doubts this is a software issue. If it was it should happen on all devices, specially when setup in the exact same way.

Best Answer

This is much more helpful than anything we have gotten from Fitbit, thanks Rubbinio. Somehow mine seems to be restarting less. I have no reasonable explanation for this nor am I certain this is the case as I haven't been able to see a log of restarts. Does anyone know how to see a log? I bought from Best Buy (my last major purchase from them) and they refuse to help because I didn't buy a service policy. They refered me to Fitbit, who have given me nothing but polite assurances that they're paying attention and working on the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My device did not record any data over the last two nights. Saturday to
Sunday, it restarted over 5 times in a 15 minute interval - with the
vibration bugging my wife, so I took it oof. Last night it restarted
several times, though I barely noticed it. I woke this morning to the watch
stating "sleep to record data".

I do also believe it is hardware related, which is still Fitbit's
responsibility. My first call to support had the same response - restart to
see it that resolves. I did that and it didn't restart on its own for a few
days, but then the behavior started again. I am hoping they offer me a
replacement device as next step. At the moment, I am currently not
confident in any of the data that is coming off the device.
Best Answer

@drod206  that is exactly my experience. When it restarts during the night you get "sleep to record data" on the watch and I got a basic sleep score and the app said "it could not get a consistent heart-rate reading while i slept"

@Dana789 to my knowledge there is no log and i did a bunch of digging trying to find it. The reason i know it, its because it woke me up and because it vibrates on the desk or my wrist and i see the logo every time it restarts. I know what you mean about Best buy, i try to avoid them like the plague. Their customer service is pretty much non existent unless you buy their service policy and even than they won't do much and probably tell you Fitbit knows and working on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your continued reports about the Sense restarting by itself. Our team has been informed of the impact this situation has caused you and they're working hard to get a resolution soon. Your patience is appreciated and this thread will be updated once we have more details.

See you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello Lizzy and All -

I just spoke with a help agent regarding my open case. The information that
I am receiving is that the issue is not a device issue and more of a
"platform" issue. @lizzy - can you please expand on how this is a
"platform" issue?

If a platform issue, then one would reasonably believe that a firmware
patch would resolve the issue. Can you please provide the SLA for
resolution?

Thanks

Dave
Best Answer

@drod206  @LizzyFitbit I have raised the issue with my retailer of the faulty unit and was told the warranty is held with the manufacture.  

Tried Fitbit customer service and got told my last 3-4 days battery was only 30-40% and will check with the team and email me the outcome.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a software or hardware issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I spoke to Fitbit CS this afternoon because mine has been restarting more and more.

The only advice I was given was to reboot and/reset my device. Waste of time as it reboots constantly anyway. 

£300 is a lot to spend on an item that has a fault so I’m returning it for a full refund this afternoon. 
Will likely have a set of Fitbit scales for sale if anyone is interested 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Lizzy and All -

if this is a platform issue why is it specific to only some devices and not something that happens to most of them? Why does the devices that restart also exhibit battery drain ?

Like i said in my previous post, because Amazon is great about their customer support i got a replacement device and had 1 month to send the old one back. So I set them up side by side. Identical setup, every setting, including the watch face.

- Old device has started restarting from the moment i paired it with my phone/account and never stopped. The replacement device has not restarted once in a week now.

- Old device battery last at most 2 days from full charge even when sitting on a desk. New device battery has lasted 6 days and still had 11% left when placed to charge

- Old device tracked my sleep properly 1 night and kept complaining could not get a pulse. New device has not missed sleep once

- Old device gave me notifications of reaching 25 AZM while sitting at my desk working. New device never done that and my AZM are now inline with my old Vers2

- Old device used to be uncomfortable to ware as my skin felt a burning sensation where it was touching after 30 mins or so of wearing it. New device does not do that and while i did not do a precises temperature measurement touching them with my hand the old device felt warmer to touch even-though it was placed on the desk

I work in software development and while i get that there could be bugs everything i seen, and i mean everything points to faulty hardware to me. If this was software bug the devices should behave roughly the same and there would have been more noise about it.

As to Fitbit CS, their solution of restart and see if stabilizes is at best laughable. It has already restarted 10 times that day how will another restart fix anything. But i did it anyway and it did nothing it restarted by itself again shortly after. I would do more test but the old device is now on its way back to Amazon.

Side note, one of my co-workers has the Sense as well from day 1 as he pre-order it and has not had a single restart and his device has been rock solid so hopefully my new one is as well, but at least i have until Jan 31 ,when the Amazon return window closes, to see how stable it is.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rubbinio  @LizzyFitbit  Wish I had bought mine from Amazon. I called Very yesterday to send back and they said no. I paid for Insurance too and they still said no as it's under the manufactures warranty. 

So every night when I go to bed around 9-930pm I have a sleep recording until 12:30 and then I disappear until 1:37am where I start my sleep again.

Think I might have to video the watch around this time.

Best Answer
0 Votes