Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure to sync with phone

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit does not want to sync with my phone today. The battery is full but it just keeps saying "looking"?? Any ideas anyone?? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for confirming this information @steveting99! Would you mind trying this workaround. this issue typically occurs when the time on your phone is set manually. So let's check if it helps, please do the following: 

1. Double tap the home button on your iOS device. Your open apps will show on your device's screen.
2. Close the Fitbit app by swiping the app image in an upward motion. Robot Embarassed
3. Open the Settings app from your iPhone home screen.
4. Tap "General."
5. Tap "Date & Time."
6. Ensure that "Set Automatically" is ON.
7. Reopen the Fitbit app. The issue should now be resolved.

Keep me posted! Robot Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

sometimes powering it down, holding all 3 buttons for @ 15 seconds, waiting about 30 and turning it back on, push home button the 3 seconds, will force it to sync...... sometimes

sorry for all the extra details to tell you how to do things.  the first time I had to power mine down it took some digging to find how to do it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I really need the extra details!!! Which buttons are you referring to please. Am a proper idiot with these things!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

There's three physical buttons on the Surge. Press and hold all three at the same time for 15 seconds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For details on how to restart your tracker please see this article.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
Thank you all. In the end I just switched my phone off, left it off a while and switched it back on again. This seems to have sorted my problem. But it is nice to know you are all there if I need you again. X

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Looks like I spoke too soon. The Surge has failed to sync with my the iPhone 6+. The app wont even allow me to log in?

Switched over to the Samsung Galaxy C7 Pro. While it worked for a while, now it's starting to failure to sync..:(

Have no moved over to the last resort of using the USB bluetooth transceiver on the Windows 10 desktop PC. At least this still syncs.

Wondering if the Surge is on it's last legs before the bluetooth transmitter dies off?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh yeah. Your tracker is dying. Just wait, soon, it will no longer turn back on. The only way I could get my Surge to sync there at the end was to turn it on and off. Eventually, it just wouldn't turn back on.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

So my Surge is on it's last legs and just a matter of time before it stops working? Not happy Fitbit customer to hear this. 

For a flagship device that commanded a premium price, expected better from Fitbit.

Best Answer
Pretty much. If you let it sit for a few months, easy to do if you were granted a replacement by the FitBit powers-that-be, the tracker will regain some limited functionality. Mine started working again, enough that I can use the GPS to track my running. However, it still won't sync and the battery won't last 12 hours unplugged. Good thing I don't run for 12 hours straight, right?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hi @steveting99 and @RunningTexan, hope you are doing great and enjoying some healthy activities. Smiley Happy

@steveting99 Good to know that you're a proactive member, and you're already tried the PC option, it's a good workaround! If you're still having issues with your Fitbit App, I'd suggest to delete and reinstall the app. Once you're logged in, check that the option "All day Sync"; remember that Location and Permission on the Setting on the phone should be "allowed". Did you restart it already? Robot Embarassed

Important thing to mention is that Samsung Galaxy C7 Pro model is not yet in the compatible device list, so it might be that not all features will be working flawless. As a personal tip, force quitting the Fitbit App and restarting the Bluetooth helps a lot. We're always looking forward to improve our products and services, right now this model of phone is a recently launched device and our engineering team is still testing Fitbit platform to make it compatible with this and other phones that are not compatible yet.

@RunningTexan I'd like to know which device you're using to sync. Check these tips to improve your Surge battery life and verify that your phone and Fitbit are up to date please. I'm very interested in helping you with this. Please keep me posted! Woman Wink

Keep walking and exercising guys, see you around! Robot Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Hi Yojana,

Thanks for your suggestions and for Android, I have tried them out - including resetting the Surge a number of times. Have to say that the bluetooth connection for the Surge is flaky. Most of the time it doesn't work. On the odd occasion the Samsung Galaxy C7 Pro does snyc. Consistency is the problem and for a flagship device from Fitbit, this is disappointing. Whilst the Samsung Galaxy C6 Pro is not on the compatibility list, at least it does occasionally sync - sometimes.

What I don't understand are issues with the iPhone 6 Plus. This is on Fitbit's compatibility list so there shouldn't be any problem - right? Well the iPhone app wont even allow me to log on. 😞 So can't get past the first step. Thought this to be strange as both the android app (on a non-compatible mobile Samsung Galaxy C7 Pro phone) does allow me to log on and the same with the Windows desktop app. 

Interestingly, the iOS app and iPhone 6 plus was previously working prior to an app up-date. After the app up-date, no bueno.:( Believe there's a bug in the iOS software somewhere and not sure if other Surge users are experiencing the same issue as me.

So far the Windows desktop app is the most reliable for syncing with the Surge using bluetooth. On several occasions it did fail to sync and that was when several days worth of data were sitting on the Surge. A reset of the Surge allowed the bluetooth sync to Windows desktop to continue and not loose any data. A daily sync so far has worked without issues.

Question for Fitbit is why can't I use the iPhone 6 plus to sync with the Surge? I can't really carry my desktop in the pocket - it's physically impossible. 

Best Answer

Hi @steveting99, thanks for responding with all those details! I appreciate all the effort you did to try to sync your tracker with your devices. I was wondering what is happening with your iOS since I haven't receive any information about having issues with the update. Would you mind sending an screenshot of the issue or message that you get when trying to log in, I'd appreciate this so we can get more information about it. Also confirm the firmware version on your iPhone.

Please keep me posted. I'll be around! Woman Wink

Best Answer

I have been fighting with my surge for about 2 weeks, simply quit syncing.......have tried everything I could find online for help.  Is continuously "looking" or "searching".  Very disappointing, if it is going to last less than a year.

Best Answer

@chicopif your surge is less than one year old  get in touch with fitbit support they should replace it under warranty. Be aware though the warranty doesn't start with the new device it goes from original purchase.

Good luck!

@chicop wrote:

I have been fighting with my surge for about 2 weeks, simply quit syncing.......have tried everything I could find online for help.  Is continuously "looking" or "searching".  Very disappointing, if it is going to last less than a year.

Best Answer
@Redmoonstar wrote:

@chicopif your surge is less than one year old  get in touch with fitbit support they should replace it under warranty. Be aware though the warranty doesn't start with the new device it goes from original purchase.

Good luck! 

When my daughter was a toddler she asked me why her rock sank when she threw it in the pond whereas the stick I threw floated. I told her jokingly "have you tried a different rock?".

Best Answer

Hi Yojana,

On the first screen where it says Log in, it takes me to a second screen that says. 'Let's get started'. there are two fields for 'Email' and 'Password'.

After entering the correct data for both fields (the same used for Windows 10 desktop app) the iOS app is in a continuous loop of 'Logging in'. This is not the case on Windows 10 desktop app. I've used the same email and password on the Samsung Galaxy C7 Pro for the Andriod app and able to get through the log in sequence.

On the iPhone 6 plus, I am on version 10.3.2 (14F89). This is the current and latest version from Apple.

Several months ago, the iPhone 6 plus was working fine with the Surge. It was my primary device for syncing and checking stats on the dashboard. As both Fitbit and Apple have been providing up-dates, somewhere along the line the system broke down and the Surge no longer works. An unhappy Fitbit customer right now.:(

Best Answer

I contacted support, was asked to try a few different things that also did not work, and was sent a link to have my surge replaced for free (it was a year old to the day).   Great customer service.  

Best Answer

@TwoBit wrote:
@Redmoonstar wrote:

Good luck! 

When my daughter was a toddler she asked me why her rock sank when she threw it in the pond whereas the stick I threw floated. I told her jokingly "have you tried a different rock?".

I no longer have a surge went with a different product however people on here still have the surge and are asking for help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Redmoonstar My comment wasn't meant as a dig at you. I was lamenting the fact that the Surge is a rock no matter how much we want it to be a stick.

Best Answer