Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit surge will not sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I turned on my iPhone Bluetooth on and it will not sync - it says to turn the surge on and make sure it's in range, which it is I am holding it right next to the phone. Any help please 😞 I have only had it for a week.
Best Answer
48 REPLIES 48
Ha ha ha, where is the fitbit moderator?
Already run away from this forum....
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes probably ... I gave up on getting any support from them when I looked at all the messages about Surge and realised that they are hoping one of us will fix it and let everyone know!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Because I bought my fitbit on ebay and the surge I got was a replacement
tracker then they won't replace the replacement. So now I am stuck with a
tracker with a broken band. It is ridiculous.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello thre guys! If your Surge trackers are still not syncing, I recommend restarting your buddy as per @MeylinP's instructions. And then try to set it up as a new device with your mobile device. I noticed most of you wrote from your iOS, so these instructions should help: 

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Account tab.
  2. Tap Set Up a Device.
  3. Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue.

If that doesn't help, feel free to contact Support they'll ge happy to take care of your case. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer

My surge will only sync using the cable also, but it take many trys. I have tried all the suggestions including turning it off and on. Just about ready to buy a Garmin.

Same problem

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I binned it and am very happy with my iWatch!

Get an iWatch ... Excellent and great customer support, unlike you know who!

Sent from my iPad

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have tried all of those fixes and nothing works. I want to return this awful device
Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @Saldessa@sakura56 and @Kidfitz!  I'm sorry to know about the inconveniences you've been having with your Fitbit trackers. Since you mentioned you alreadya tried all the steps provided, feel free to contact Support, I'm pretty sure they'll give you the resolution you need! 

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer

My Mac Air and my Android can't see my fitbit Surge.  It was synching up until 2 days ago with my android.  I installed the app on my Mac today and neither machines can "see" the Surge.  Makes me think that it has quit broadcasting.  Any help?

In addition, I restarted my phone (several times), and turned on and off the airport mode.  Also restarted the surge several times.  Turned location on (shouldn't matter since I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Core 2) and nothing works.  My Mac Air just keeps looking and looking for the Surge and never finds it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im having the same issue on my recently updated-to-windows-10-phone. Surge sync was haphazard to begin with, now it won't even connect to teh phone's BT.

Ripped and reinstalled the software, restarted both devices - actually started a new thread/topic (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/Surge-sync-issue-on-win-10-phone/m-p/1489214#M53410)  before i saw this one.

Surge will connect to the PC App via the dongle (on demand) with no issues but it is completely not even detected by the phone anymore.

-Z

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been suffering from my Surge not syncing over the past few months and tried all the suggestions in these forums without finding a longterm solution. In one thread it says that your Fitbit is actually syncing with the FitBit servers and not your PC or phone. I have access, through my company, to VPN servers that allow access to the Internet once connected via a VPN so I thought I'd try syncing my surge while connected to the VPN and, wow, it worked straighaway and has does so each time I've tried it since.

I don't know why this works but a VPN bypasses any filtering, DNS issues and perhaps congestion that may be happening at your ISP.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Arrowmax wrote:

I've been suffering from my Surge not syncing over the past few months and tried all the suggestions in these forums without finding a longterm solution. In one thread it says that your Fitbit is actually syncing with the FitBit servers and not your PC or phone. I have access, through my company, to VPN servers that allow access to the Internet once connected via a VPN so I thought I'd try syncing my surge while connected to the VPN and, wow, it worked straighaway and has does so each time I've tried it since.

I don't know why this works but a VPN bypasses any filtering, DNS issues and perhaps congestion that may be happening at your ISP.

@Thank you for the input! my specific problem was more fundamental: the surge would not even pair with my phone over bluetooth. This lasted for a while, but eventually (and out of the blue, no pun intended), i looked @ my phone one day and there the thing was, waitng to pair. Since then it's been working like a champ and the background sync process (which has been crashing for a long time prior to the surge not pairing) seems to be stable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@userzero I hope you're doing well! Was your issue resolved? Maybe some kind of update make it happen! Is it working properly since then?

Also, make sure to take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

@SantiR wrote:

@userzero I hope you're doing well! Was your issue resolved? Maybe some kind of update make it happen! Is it working properly since then?

Also, make sure to take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

@SantiR - thank you for the follow-up! yes, since it started working again, it's been working like a champ. I did not see any specific updates to the phone or to the app, but I think some updates in windows 10 happen silently.

Best Answer

I am having a similar issue.  I've had my Surge for about 6 months.  Recenlty (2 days ago) it just stopped connnecting to my app and syncing via my phone.  Additionaly my battery life has gone from 3 days to 10 hours or so..  I can still sync via the dongle and windows 10 but no bluetooth.    I've tried restarting and also toggling the bluetooth from on to off with no success.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was frustrated because my Surge wouldn't Sync.   I tried all of the standard links on the internet, even to the point of uninstalling the app from my phone and reinstalling it.  Still no sync.   But then I read this about confusing the phone with other fitbits.   So, I removed myself to another room and it synced up almost instantly.

Thanks for the great info!

Best Answer
0 Votes

will this wipe out all your saved data?? My surge will only sync with my iphone 6 if i turn the surge on and off which is a real pain its only started happening in the last 2 days 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Uninstallint the app shouldn't wipe out your data since your data is stored in fitbit's cloud... I didn't lose data when i tried it. That said, uninstalling didn't fix anything either.

My surge in't syncing 'all day' anymore... it's now just syincing when i open the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is the case for my Surge as well.  It will only sync when it is plugged in.  Started doing this in Feb.  I have tried everything else( full charge, turning off and on, reinstalling as new device etc).  I am on Windows 10.  My computer recognizes and is paired with my surge, but will not download unless it is plugged in.  I don't have the dongle attached anymore, and yes it does sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Surge will not sync w/ android device or laptop. this is my 4th fitbit device and I've had it. I do an average of 20K steps a day and there are more reliable devices out there. Customer service is non existant. This is not an inexpensive watch (basically), because that's all it is to me now. Can anyone direct me to a site or a phone number that can help. 

Best Answer
0 Votes