Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge band coming apart

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I purchased my Surge in December of 2015. I haven't had it for a whole year yet and the top part of my watch has come undone and now there is a medium sized air bubble on the lower front right side of the watch. I love my surge and have zero complaints about the watch itself only wish the band wasn't falling apart. Any advice on what can be done to fix the issue?

Thank you! 🙂
Best Answer
115 REPLIES 115

Well done you, you'll soon be sick of getting replacements. I'm on my 3rd one now!

Best Answer

You can search for a replacement band on Amazon. I just paid $24 for mine and it'll be here tomorrow. That's the only reason I'm staying with Fitbit - Mine's been broken for almost a year now. I'm not a fan of a company that lies and says it's not replaceable. Because the bluetooth part is part of the band, it's more difficult than a normal fitbit or watch... but not really. Google it, you'll find parts and how-to videos. 

Best Answer

I had explored for a replacement strap and it was watching the video that put me off. My eyesight and fingers are probably not up to the delicacy required.  Getting my friendly technician  to sit down for a while and do it tends to prove difficult but I may lure him in under the pretext of a beer or two.  Smiley Happy

Whether I can do it or not, as it is under 6 months old, I really shouldn't have to effect repairs myself.  There is a requirement for items to be of merchantable quality.

Best Answer

Hello, I am approximately 10-11 months with the replacement Fitbit Surge that was sent to me due to the wrist band falling apart . Unfortunately the band of the replacement has also failed. While the Fitbt Surge is a well thought out product the wristband failure has been extremely frustrating. Is customer service able to help me with this ?

Thank you for your 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Customer service will talk a well rehearsed script to you. They act all excited about giving you a 25% discount on your next flawed purchase. I went back and forth with them. They would not budge even though the original replacement went bad too; the wrist band. I told them I would never buy another Fit Bit. Most of the bloggers have said the same thing. My next one will be a Garmin. Right now, I have wrapped thread around the split, and then put epoxy on it. So far it is working. I will do this until I determine which Garmin to get. It is a shame that their management cannot see how many loyal customers they lost over this.

Best Answer

I can't speak for FitBit but only can tell you that there are other brands that are far superior for the same or less cost. With my frustration with FitBit, I found a better solution with a brand that has figured out how to create a similar product with a replaceable band.....namely Garmin.  Best of luck with FitBit but if you want a better solution as evidenced by previous comments, you should spend your money elsewhere than chase this frustrating dead end.

Best Answer
I have the same issue I am going to contact them again and see myself
Best Answer
0 Votes

MY replacement did the same thing.. they are just poor quality. 
sorry you have to deal with the same as I ha to 3 times!  this is what can offer more than FITBIT, hope this helps. 
Silicone Relógio De Substituição Surge watch band Wrist Strap Band Para Fitbit banda Bandas bandas de Silicone venda de reloj em Acessórios inteligentes de Consumer Electronics no AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

Silicone Relógio De Substituição Surge watch band Wrist Strap Band Para Fit...
Barato Silicone Relógio De Substituição Surge watch band Wrist Strap Band Para Fitbit banda Bandas bandas de Sil... 

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

Well....  my Surge band had gotten to the point where no repair would work, and the band was in the final throes of breaking.  I really like the functionality aspects of my Surge, but very frustrated with its wearability.

To recap...I purchased my first FitBit Surge in January 2015.  I wear my watch every day, though I do not sleep with it.  The bands did the usual breaking around the screws and along the edges near the watch face.  I returned it to the "point of purchase", a popular outdoors store with a remarkable "return any time within one year if you are not satisfied" warranty program.  In August 2015 I did, they gave me a new watch.  As it was a 'return & re-buy" transaction, my FitBit warranty effectively started at zero.

Of course, the new Surge experienced the same issues.  I did not get the "bubbling" that many of you describe, just the deterioration of the rubber.  Now, at August 2016 I erred in not repeating the "return & Re-buy".   The company would have done so, but in fairness to them, after all not their fault, and I did not want to take truly unfair advantage of their policy.  This is a FitBit problem...  I'll get to that later.

So, now it is August 2016.  This watch, still seeing daily use, has been through the wars.   First, in November 2015, one of the "bars" in the longer strap that was taking the daily strain of the buckle broke away at one end.  On examination, the other end was torn as well, and easily broke away when I put light a light "oull" on it.  So, the bar is gone completely.  The buckle now catches the next slot.  

A few weeks later, the edge of the band broke near the missing tab, so now only the other edge held the tail of the band in place.  My first solution to this was to carefully staple the two ends of the broken side together.  Each time I did this, it would typically "hold" for 2 or 3 weeks, and I did this many times.  However, over time, I put a lot of little staple holes in a relatively small section of the band, and it began to look like this repeated repair would have a short shelf life.

Then I remembered seeing a demonstration of a "super glue" at a local home show.    I bought some online from their web site "thelastglue.com", and used a drop to glue the two broken ends back together.  It worked very well, and held for about 6 weeks.  Each time it has broken again, I have cleaned up the excess glue, re-glued it, and I get another 6 weeks.

Then a large chuck broke away on the underside of the shorter strap (the one with the buckle) near the screw.  And, I realized, that the band was tearing down the strap away from the screw.  Only the top surface of the band was still holding on.  I saw another post on here of someone reporting they had bought and fitted an after market strap, and as mine was now truly on its last legs, I decided to give it a try.

The set I bought provided two of each half of the strap, a rubber "face protector", and a set of tools for performing the swap.  I sat down half an hour ago, and I think I'm good.  The new strap is on, I didn't loose any of the screws, and all four are firmly re-screwed into the watch.  Now, in taking off the side where the GPS antenna is located, it did come off.  I cleaned off excess glue from the old strap, set it in place, and put the new strap in place.  I'll test it later to see if it still works.  At the very least, the timekeeping, stopwatch, and heart rate and step counting functions will still work.  

Now, some fairness to FitBit.  I have never had a problem charging my Surge.  The cable has always snapped into place, I have never had to "jiggle", or specially position the watch to recharge it.   I sit it on my open laptop overnight, next morning fully charged.  And yes, I sweat...  a lot....  I work in automotive electronics repair (mostly repairing failed instrument clusters, gauges and digital displays), in Phoenix AZ.  It gets hot out here, and even the quickest job requires I dismantle a dash out in the 105 degree sun.  So my arms sweat.  The recharging point has not been affected, and two years in, works perfectly.

Now the negative.  FitBit, what are you thinking???  Your "in warranty" support is perfect.  For out of warranty, you need to rethink.  25% off a replacement doesn't cut it, and you are loosing your best customers in droves.  Best Customers?  Yup, we are the ones who bought your most expensive product, your flagship product, and we use the heck out of it.  Someone who uses it once a week probably hasn't seen the problem.  Your other products with customer replaceable bands have not seen the problem.  But those of us who use our Surges every day certainly have.  Seriously, with the experience we have had, do you think we will buy the Surge Mk 2?  Some will, most won't.

So how could FitBit make good?  It's very simple, and really would not cost FitBit much to implement.  Offer a program where a customer can return their Surge to FitBit, and Fitbit replaces the band.  FitBit's cost?  A band (which you make by the thousand and shouldn't cost much on a unit basis), and 10 minutes of a technician's time to swap it.  OK, maybe a $50k annual salary for this person.  And the shipping back to the customer.  $10 per.  But just think of the good will and customer loyalty such a program would generate!  I would bet customers would pay the $10 shipping.  Just think of this forum full of praise from your best customers, thanking you for the awesome product support.  If you are looking for someone to do this work, contact me.  I am sure we can work something out!

Think FitBit, and for a change do what is right, not the minimum that is expected of you.  

russmbrown at cox dot net.    FitBit, please at least let customers contact me directly if they want some help with this!

Best Answer
yup, I agree. Its the same stuff they told me, why would I buy another one
at 25% off that's going to fall apart on me later, I use epoxy also, and
when it completely falls apart, I am done!!!!
L
Best Answer
0 Votes
Like you my replacement Fitbit band started separating within months of
receiving it. I did not recontact Fitbit, I figured I would wear it till it
breaks and switch to another company's product. It is obvious the
workmanship is flawed.
Best Answer
You have a good customer service solution but it seems as if Fitbit would rather anger their customers and drive them away. I don't see them even considering it. I for one am gone when my watch band fully comes apart. There are other products on the market.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

All I tried my best with Fitbit. Tried to explain to them they had a quality and design problem for several years to no avail 

I have been in retail for over 30 years and have never seen a company so disengaged from their customer and reality 

I had bought 6 Surges for myself others. Same issues on all 6. Bad product and now I can say even worse company. 

I have moved on to a Garmin Vivosmart HR    So far way better product from the user interface to functions to actual materials used  Today's my last day ever using a Fitbit product    Loved the community hate the company.  Doubt they will be a round I. 10 years 

Best Answer

Fitbit's new smartwatch will be coming out at the end of the year. It will be the product that makes or breaks the company. With declining sales (market share now down to under 13% behind Apple and Samsung) and a plummeting stock price (down 56% from a year ago) it shocks me that they aren't making any effort to retain their existing Surge customers. The new smartwatch is a natural upgrade path for existing Surge owners and they're squandering that opportunity by abandoning us. No firmware updates. No new features. No repair solution for the defective straps that are out of warranty. I don't anticipate that the new Fitbit smartwatch owners will fair any better given this track record.

Best Answer

I posted in this thread that in less than 6 months of careful use my watch band "bubbled" on one side.

I dealt with the issue via online chat and was sent a new Surge.  No questions asked and I didn't have to send it back or provide a picture.  Can't beat that for service!

During the online chat I asked for a refund but was told the best they could do was a replacement or a discount on a different type of Fitbit.  When I voiced my concern that the reviews imply I can expect the same issue to occur before a year passes and that I would prefer a refund I was told that the new watch bands are better and it was "guaranteed" not to fail the same way.  I asked for the guarantee in writing but was told that couldn't be done.  I also had issues with the original Surge's battery life.

It's been 2 months and maybe it's my imagination but the battery life as well as the band seem better than the original.  Finger's crossed!

Best Answer
We have all seen companies that have shot themselves in the foot over the years. Fitbit had a good idea but some major issues with product quality. Unfortunately it chose to ignore the huge numbers of failures and that result has made it a pretty sure thing that the company will eventually lose what little market share they retain and fade from the market. Too bad really, a public relations debacle of the first order. Their CEO or board is getting very bad advice.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer