Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge band cracking by screws

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased my Surge in Feb 2015 and this last week I have noticed that the band is cracked underneath where the screws are - and is now digging into my wrist when I wear it.  I'm not a particularly 'rough' wearer of the Surge so am very disappointed about this damage and the fact that it may not be covered under the warranty (it's only 13/14 months old!).  What can Fitbit do about this for me? (am UK based)

Have read lots of other threads on this very same topic so I am not alone.

Very disgruntled!!!

Best Answer
170 REPLIES 170

At least you made it 7 months - I only made it 2 - I am so disappointed.  😞

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the same issue and received mine as gift in December 2015. That the band is wearing out from regular use -- running and contact with everyday cloths says to me that there is a very serious design flaw with the product.
Best Answer
That is really terrible for such an expensive device.
Best Answer
I contacted customer support and received a quick reply asking for my receipt since I didn't order directly through fitbit. I sent a screen capture of my Amazon order from February 2015 and fitbit sent a replacement. Sounds fair.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Did you contact fitbit?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes. Contacted Fitbit and because it was within one year they replaced it no questions asked. Was very happy but am concerned as to what happens when one year expires. Will they replace the watch one and a half years into the purchase. For that money you would think a watch should last that long
Best Answer
Similar experience.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here - they replaced quickly.  I have the same concern as you, what happens when the replacement breaks 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes
No they will not. They will offer you 25% off a new tracker.
Thanks,

Charlie Pleasants
Best Answer
0 Votes
They will not replace again. They will offer 25% discount on new tracker.
They are not acknowledging they have an issue with the Surge Band.

Thanks,

Charlie Pleasants
Best Answer

I have a similar story to many people here and like others am disappointed. 

Bought my first Surge 1/23/15 and loved everything it does!  Six months later, on 8/31/15, the band broke and I got it replaced. Six weeks later, on 10/10/15 the screen failed, so it was replaced again.  Nine months later, (today - 7/29/16) the band broke again so I called support to see what can be done.  That is three broken Surges in 18 months! Support told me the watch it is out of warranty because they count the warranty from the first purchase, not the dates of the replacement, and the only thing they can offer is a 25% discount on any Fitbit tracker. Even though I love everything the Surge does, I am not willing to spend ~$300 every couple of months for a new one.  Fitbit needs to fix the band design so this doesn't keep happening. 

Best Answer
I called and had my surge replaced no problem. I have been wondering what I should do after the one year when the warranty expires.
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're in Australia, I think anyone with this problem might have a claim under the "consumer guarantees" provided by law, even if the fitbit warranty has expired.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees

https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Consumer%20Guarantees%20A%20guide%20for%20consumers_0.pdf

In particular, it has to be "acceptable quality" and "lasting" considering the price of the device. I think it's more than reasonable to expect it to last at least a few years and, given the important role of the band, this probably can be regarded as a "major failure".

Only problem is if you didn't buy locally or, like me, bought from an outlet like Dick Smith...

Best Answer

I purchased my husbands Surge in December 2015 for Christmas and it is all bubbled upon the screw side (top) and the other side is pulled away from the fitbit.  He does not get it wet at all... and it irritates his wrist.  Terrible design... I guess I need to contact Fitbit directly

Best Answer
Since it is still under wArranty they should replace it no questions asked. That was my experience. The fact that there might be a product design flaw is a shame but they did right by me on the customer service side.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Have had my surge since Dec 2015 and wear it and use it regularly for weightlifting, cycling, running, and everyday use. Very deep and noticeable cracking in the same area to the point of which it's almost about to rip off, plus the adding digging and irritation to my wrists skin!
Best Answer
Same here. Replaced first one because it was before the 12 months was up.
Second one had the same problems about 8 months later. They only offered me
25% off new Fitbit device.

I decided to go with Garmin Vioactive HR.

Thanks,

Charlie Pleasants
Best Answer

To the credit of Fitbit, they reached out to me directly via email and ultimately sent me a replacement. For that I am thankful!  I do love everything it does and have found that I am pretty attached and dependent on it for more than just telling time 🙂  Thank you Fitbit!

Best Answer

Fab @sosman Cat Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agreed. Same problem. Same offer.

Best Answer
0 Votes