Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge band cracking by screws

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased my Surge in Feb 2015 and this last week I have noticed that the band is cracked underneath where the screws are - and is now digging into my wrist when I wear it.  I'm not a particularly 'rough' wearer of the Surge so am very disappointed about this damage and the fact that it may not be covered under the warranty (it's only 13/14 months old!).  What can Fitbit do about this for me? (am UK based)

Have read lots of other threads on this very same topic so I am not alone.

Very disgruntled!!!

Best Answer
170 REPLIES 170

@Rbo @Dogu @HeidiLove @Martalex71 @SunriseRunner47  @JerseyShore I'm glad to hear that support took care of your tracker. Happy stepping!

@Icedmang thanks for sharing your experience with us here, hope everything goes well! 

@renambot @PennyS @BradyElias many thanks for your feedback, if your Surge is damaged, the best would be getting in touch with support so they can evaluate your case and options. For reference you can always check our Warranty & Returns policy

Many thanks for your contribution @sosman @Jubal @GeeKau ! As mentioned before, based on the policy, we only replace devices within the 365 days of the original purchase, if you are out of that period, support will evaluate your case for other options. For Australia it's a different policy

See you, I'll be around! Woman Wink

Retired ModeratorCindy | Community Moderator

Was this what you were looking for? Vote for it and mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Just note your warranty doesn't refresh with replacement - it's from the date of purchase. Make sure you watch your watch until 2/17!
Best Answer
I'm presently on my 3rd Surge since November of 15. I noticed small bulges where the screw cracks developed on my last 2 watches yesterday (just got this replacement in late June).

Super frustrating that this product keeps crapping out.
Best Answer

Ingram Micro also does the drop shipping for many Australian online retailers. Were they also the importer into Australia for Dick Smith?  The old Dick Smith went bust and my band is showing the cracking symptoms, so I think I'm out of luck

Best Answer

CindyFitbit,

a 25% coupon is highly unsufficient when there's an obvious design defect. See how many people are complaining here. Devices fall apart after 12 month and nothing from Fitbit.

Admit your mistake  and replace devices even after 12 months.

Agravated.

Best Answer

You are correct @BiggKhalil the warranty applies for the original tracker only, not on the replacement.

@GeeKau not sure about Dick Smith, and I don't think the fact that the tracker you got from Dick Smith cracked means all the trackers there will eventually crack.

@renambot unfortunately those are the policies and they may vary depending each country or region. Still your feedback is very appreciated.

Rodrigo l Italian & English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Parliamo di calcio Qual è la tua squadra di calcio preferita?

Best Answer

In the same boat, my Surge is maybe 13-14 months old and got a 25% discount. For something I spent $250 on, this should've lasted more than a year. I'm not happy.

Best Answer
Try the Garmin Vioactive HR. I love mine. I liked the Surge but I cannot
give Fitbit any more money after the Surge fiasco.

--
Thanks,

Charlie Pleasants
Best Answer
0 Votes

EXACTLY LIKE MINE TOO after about 9 months!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thats what mine looks like. I just spent 30 minutes searching site for a replacement band and just read here that you cant replace the Surge band. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My huband just received his second Surge and this one is causing a terrible rash... is anyone else experiencing this?  I am sure the screws will be coming through again.  Was anyone able to get a substitute, such as the Alta?  It is $100 less but I have heard it is a much better product.  We have 2 months left before the one year warranty is up.   HATE the SURGE

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, everyone! It is nice to see you! Thank you so much for sharing your Feedback with us, this is super important to improve in every way possible. Heart

Based on it we have improve the quality and design of our new products, like the new Fitbit Alta and Blaze that have replaceable band. 

@PennyS, if your husband is having a rash, please advice him to stop wearing the tracker, contact his doctor and our Customer Support team to report this situation. 

Keep me updated please! Man Very Happy

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Received my Surge for my birthday on May 17th 2016. I noticed a few days ago the strap was pulling away from the watch face. The mechanical team at work had a proper sized tool allow the strap to be removed and we discovered a crack by one of the screws.  Just sent an email to fitbit support, hopefully they can resolve. I wont be too happy with a 25% discount on a replacement when the current one didn't even last a year. I also personally purchased a Charge, Flex, and Aria in the last year so i feel like i am a worthwhile customer. (by the way the charge band also broke but my brother-in-law opted to fix it with crazy glue).

As a comparison i owned both a basis b1 and a basis peak. I liked the hardware but definitely feel the Fitbit software is superior. At any rate, when the recall for the peak was announced they offered me a refund for both the both watches, even though the b1 was over 2 years old! 

Am hoping for a positive resolution....

Best Answer
0 Votes

@butiki2 all Surges are covered by at least a 12 month limited warranty.  As your band has failed in less than a year I think you can be confident of a positive resolution. 

Fot the quickest response it is helpful to include a photograph of the band issue.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes
They will replace it if it is under one year. The problem is that the same
thing will happen to your new surge band. Once that first 12 months is up
that is it. They will offer 25% discount on a new tracker. My issue is they
continue to sell the surge with a known defect with its band. They should
recall it. I had it happen to 3 Surges and know of a number of people that
had the same thing happen. I now own a Garmin and am very happy with it.

Thanks,

Charlie Pleasants
Best Answer
0 Votes
woke up this morning to an email from fitbit, provided the request information, awaiting their reply.
Best Answer
0 Votes
So it appear Fitbit will replace my surge with the broken band. They did give me the option of a 30% discount instead but really not interested in going that route at this time, perhaps if the next one fails, hopefully i can get another 10 months.....
Best Answer
0 Votes

YIPPEE they replaced my fitbit and so far so good....looks like they would fix the design flaw. I work at Georgia Tech and I am confident some of the Jackets would love to help with the problem.

robbieouzts
Best Answer
0 Votes

Has the policy been changed? Are they now replacing these units?

Best Answer
0 Votes

After having the same problem with the rubber around the screws splitting and ultimately breaking the band on 2 previous Surge's within the year warranty period, I decided to try something different with the next replacement because I knew it would be out of warranty soon.

So, as soon as I received my 3rd Surge, I proactively sealed the 4 screws with superglue.  That was over a year ago and even though my use of the Surge hasn't changed I haven't had any tearing problems with this one.  I reapplied the glue about 6 months ago and haven't had any bubbling or splitting.

Best Answer
0 Votes