Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wristband bubbling

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fit Bit surge developed a bubble on the band and has started to lift. Has anyone encountered this and how can it be fixed?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

Thank you for your participation in the forums! I'll be glad to help. Smiley Happy

First of all; @SunsetRunner @Joy_ I'd like to thank you for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit customer service and devices. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.  I'm sorry if this situation seems upsetting, I can assure you that we are always striving to improve the Fitbit experience.

@Joy_ I understand you've received the 25% discount option as per our Warranty Policies. Please know that this is the best option to help you get back on track with the Fitbit family and I'm sure our Customer Support team will be more than glad to help you further with this. I understand you've invested in the Fitbit Family; however, we as any other company have policies to follow through.  While customer satisfaction remains our number one goal, the demands of running a global business require that we enforce our warranty consistently.   

Next, to @Alope @hellyman @watto133 @wdohrman @millie71: I'm truly glad to hear about your experience with our Customer Service team.Heart

If there any questions present, please let me know and I'll be glad to help. Cat Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sadly I agree that a watch device, wrist band, costing this sort of monies, $450.00 NZ, should last longer than what they do, or be replaceable at least. Obviously trial tests before production were not carried out. There seems to be a lot of the same problem. This negativity amongst the public can not be helping sales. A businesses largest advertising is their public. The old cliché, lose one customer, takes 10 to make up for the loss. Especially now days with Media being so quick. I am a watch nut & never usually pay any more than $100.00 for a watch, but I have never had a wrist band collapse before a years wearing. They have to come up with a better idea or people will just stop buying the Surge. At the same time I can not as mentioned complain about the service that Fit bit has given me with this problem & a couple of other problems I had previously. If the fault occurs again with the replacement watch I would expect Fit bit to replace it also. I do not think a 25% replacement after it is out of warranty by a few months is a good jester on Fit bit's part. Come on Fit bit, to keep your customers happy be fair for the price you charge. 

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

You are absolutely right! My surge first had cracks in the wrist band and they replaced it, now the replacement tracker developed a large ugly air bubble and even though it is just a few months old they would not replace it because my original purchase is just a bit over one year old. And Fitbit does not offer repair service (I was willing to pay to have this repaired) and the suggested that I should just buy a new one. So I tell to all of the folks who posted about their great customer service -- just you wait...

Oh, and I was not offered that 25% off coupon either. Very dissapointing, and they really have problems with their products; too bad the trackers have all this impressive technology but Fitibit cannot produce a wrist band that lasts more than a few months. 

Best Answer

Yes, and there is not even the option to pay for the repair; Fitbit customer service saidy I should buy a new one and seemed to suggest that the money that I paid for a defective product that is not serviceable helped them with product development. They really mistreat their (early adopter) customers. I am very dissapointed with Fitbit although I like their tracker...

R.

Best Answer

First surge dies at 13 months, replaced with replacement surge on 7/2816 (ship date) - 4 months and this one gets a bubble and opens up the band.  Call the awesome customer service rep, tells me, hey, we know we have a defect, our engineers are working on it and its your fault that you sweat and didn't wipe it off everytime you work out.   I've got $500 in this and a Charge 2, (only 3 months old) and they want me to buy another.   Wow.   I've got 30 + year old timexs that are beat to crap and still work and these won't last 4 months.   Come on Fitbit.   You suck.    Going to buy that Garmin, no matter how much of a PIA their app is the products work.     

Best Answer

My surge has delveloped a bubble in the last few weeks, dont really understand how when it seems to be a sealed unit. If I send it for replacement whats to stop it happening again? Like others have stated here, these are expensive products and I'm not exactly misusing it, I dont wear it 24/7, mostly for 2hrs a week during exercise and occasionally to sleep in. How can I limit the risk of this in the future if its going to be out of warranty?

Best Answer

Be forwarned your 1-year warranty is the date of purchase.  If you are sent a replacement Surge because the band fails (various defects) and the replacement fails because of the defective band beyond 1-year from the date you purchased your Surge, it is out of warranty and Fidbit will not replace it.  Bought a Surge in August 2015, Fidbit replaced it in June 2016 because band cracked/broke and replacement band failed in February 2017.  Fidbit would not replace the perfectly functioning tracker!!  Recommend you advise your friends and family to look at trackers not made by Fidbit since it does not stand behind its own product - which it admits has a design defect.

Best Answer

For other unsuspecting and former loyal supporter of Fidbit, be advised if the nonreplacebale band on your Surge fails within 12-months of purchase, Fidbit will replace it without a problem.  However, the warranty on your replacement Surge is only what remains of the 1-year warranty from the date you PURCHASED your original defective Surge.  You do not receive an additional 12-months from the date your replacement was sent.  I bought a Surge in August 2015 and when the band failedin June 2016, Fidbit replaced it without a problem.  However, in February 2017 when I contacted Fidbit to report the band on the replacement Surge it had sent me failed in February 2017, I was told it was out of warranty.  Hard to accept Fidbit would not replace the perfectly functioning tracker!!  Recommend you advise your friends and family to look at trackers not made by Fidbit since it does not stand behind its own product - which it admits has a design defect.  Like me, tell your friends and family to take their business and spend their monet elsewhere.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Contact Fidbit and request a replacement if it has developed with 1-year from date of purchase.  However, from a former loyal supporter Fidbit will replace it without a problem if the nonreplaceable band on your Surge fails within 12-months of purchase.  However, the warranty on your replacement Surge is only what remains of the 1-year warranty from the date you PURCHASED your original defective Surge.  You do not receive an additional 12-months from the date your replacement was sent.  I bought a Surge in August 2015 and when the band failed in June 2016, Fidbit replaced it without a problem.  However, in February 2017 when I contacted Fidbit to report the band on the replacement Surge it had sent me failed in February 2017, I was told it was out of warranty.  Hard to accept Fidbit would not replace the perfectly functioning tracker!!  Recommend you advise your friends and family to look at trackers not made by Fidbit since it does not stand behind its own product - which it admits has a design defect.  Like me, tell your friends and family to take their business and spend their monet elsewhere.

Best Answer
0 Votes
MUST AGREE. THE REPLACEMENT IS A NEW ONE SO IT SHOULD BE GUARANTEED FOR A YEAR AGAINST DEFECTS. COME ON FIT BIT,
Best Answer

I've just received my Surge replacement after the strap bubbled. Excellent customer service but No mention of the warranty being based on original purchase date. I will not be impressed if it happens again and no suitable solution offered! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I know, I've had excellent customer service but just worried now that my original purchase was over 12 months ago, it won't get replaced if it happens again!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had this happen to me and just left it and now the strap has completley come off I suggest you email the support team and advise them as I feel this is a major fault.

Best Answer
Very obvious a major fault. My $50.00 Casio watch strap has lasted for 8 years so far. FITBIT $469.00 SURGE STRAP did not last a year. Sad for a otherwise good product. Best & worst advertising is word of mouth. Some companies just never learn. I was in business myself, CUSTOMER IS #1.
Best Answer

I hear you Millie I also have a casio sports watch which in the 10 years i've had it I've replaced the strap twice but I am hard on my sports watch with adventure racing and have had 2 surges in the space of 15 months cause I couldn't just replace the strap.  I do find this to be a waste as I can't wear either and the device still works.  Not impressed and looking at just going back to my flex which I can put in my pocket when out walking or running.

Best Answer

One thing about this thread concerns me slightly - if this is a sealed unit, what is causing the band to bubble?  Something is creating pressure inside which is causing the band to bubble.  Is something inside putting out gas?  Is it flammable?  No company rep on this thread has said anything beyond "talk to customer support".  I'm in the same situation as many on this thread - my 2nd Surge band is failing and it's past the 1 year warranty.  Neither device lasted a year.  Frankly, my experience with the product doesn't encourage me to purchase a replacement or even another Fitbit device.

Best Answer
Hi, you raised a very good point and I wished they'd sort the fault. I love my watch, but I'm on my third. Customer services so far has been absolutely brilliant, faultless, but I'm worried as to how I will be dealt with now I'm out of warranty should this watch develop the same problem as previous. Fingers crossed, I don't have to find out!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Customer Services at Fitbit are awesome after sending an email explaining my issue and that I was not impressed about the fact that neither device lasted the full 12 months even though is was outsid the warranty they are sending me a replacement watch so hopefully they have fixed the bubbling issue so it won't happen again if it does sorry Fitbit but I will be looking at other brands.

Best Answer
That's good to know. Hopefully issue is sorted.
Best Answer
0 Votes