Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App that syncs Fitbit and Samsung S Health

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fit and Healthy

I have created an app that imports and exports Fitbit step counts, body weight, body fat%, height (and BMI), calories burnt, distance, stairs climbed, heart rate, and sleep start/end times into Samsung S Health.  The app is called "Fit and Healthy" and is available from the Google Play store for Android.  The app accepts a date range to sync.

Importing and exporting of body fat%, height/BMI, calories burnt, distance, heart rate and sleep start/end times require the purchase of an upgrade pack to the base app.  Steps can be imported and exported for free as can body weight import.

The app adds a "tile" to the S Health screen where the latest Fitbit step count can be seen.  Clicking the tile leads to a history graph split into daily, monthly and total history views.  By using the "Source data" menu, the app graphs the Fitbit tracker, your other devices or a combination. Both step counts and weight trends can be viewed in the history graph.

The app can be set to automatically sync every 15 minutes, hourly, 6 hourly, half-day, daily or weekly. The background synchronisation schedule can be set so that the app downloads at a certain time of day (for example, during the waking hours, while exercising or in the off-peak hours).

On first use, the app will ask for permission to read and write from S Health and Fitbit.  Your Fitbit password will be entered into the fitbit.com site on your phone's browser - the app cannot see your Fitbit user id or password.

Next up, I plan to add the importing exercises and food intake.  Other devices are a little further down the track.

This app has been approved by Samsung as a partner app for S Health.  It can be found in S Health, under Partner apps in the fitness category.

I wrote the app as I noticed that there wasn't a way to have the data from my Fitbit Aria weight scale show up in S Health on my Samsung Galaxy phone.  On search, it looked like people have been asking for a feature like this for 2 years (since 2014).

I am looking for feedback on what to improve, features to add and especially bug reports.  The app contains a menu where I can be emailed privately and a discussion group set up to publically talk/complain about the app.

The app can be downloaded and installed from this link in the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jsonlo.fitandhealthy

If you have the google play store installed on your phone, the Fit and Healthy app can be opened from this link:

market://details?id=com.jsonlo.fitandhealthy

I am available and will respond to any queries in this thread or the discussion group:

https://groups.google.com/d/forum/fitandhealthy

Best Answer
216 REPLIES 216
Looks like you're definitely on the right track. I think I'll get the scale now too. Any idea why SHealth hasn't approved any other integration functions with Fitbit yet?
Best Answer

I think it's more that the integration with Fitbit isn't as high on Samsung's list of priorities.  I was kinda testing the waters with this app and was relieved that the app did get approved.

I'll work on adding a background sync function to the app next and then it looks like I will be adding the ability to import step counts from Fitbit.

Best Answer

can you work on syncing pedometer readings from my samsung gear fit to fitbit dashboard. I will DL your app to get the weight function in to the app. this is awesome thanks so much!

Best Answer

Downloading it today.

Best Answer
Does this also send data from S Health to Fitbit? Or is this one way only from Fitbit to S Health? Thanks!!
Best Answer

At the moment, the app sends weight data from Fitbit to S Health one way only.  In the future, I'll look into transferring the data the other way (exporting to Fitbit).  I am concentrating on getting a more complete set of data going to S Health first.

Best Answer

I have updated the app to add support for background sync, allowing the latest data to be downloaded without even opening the app.

I have updated the first post with a few more details.

Best Answer

This is exactly what I need. I bought a Samsung Gear s2, and I need it to get into Fitbit app for me to sync it up to Vitality Health. 

Best Answer

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE:

S Health has now been updated so that Fitbit data is visible in the S Health step count tracker and the issue below is no longer an issue.

Old post below:

----------

Just an update to say that I have hit a setback with the step count synchronisation.

The app is able to import daily step counts into S Health but due to a decision made by Samsung, the data is not visible in the current version of the S Health step count tracker.  This may change in a future version of S Health.

In response, I will add a viewer for the Fitbit step count data.  This will mean that "rewards" and "achievements" will not be recognised by S Health.  I do not personally put much emphasis on these but other people might.

Creating a viewer will take me some time.

Unless there are strong opinions, I will postpone the step count import functionality until the viewer is released as I do not see the point in importing data when it cannot be viewed.

Best Answer
The step count integration is really important because the user frustration is gaps in trending and totals when I am on fitbit one day and S health another. Achievements are sythetic gamefication mechanisms that are nice when they pop up but I otherwise don't care much about as I never really look at again. I want to be able to integrate and trend progress over time, across platforms. I love the fact I can use your program to import weight and I hope you find your way to a creative interim solution for step trending.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am preparing the next version of Fit and Healthy and would like to open up an beta test.

If you would like to join, please email fitandhealthyhelp @ gmail.com with the following filled out:

Android devices owned (phone/tablet model eg. Samsung Galaxy S6)

Android OS version (if known)

Fitbit devices owned (eg. Charge HR, Aria)

Samsung fitness devices owned (if any, eg. Gear S2)

Other fitness devices owned (if any)

How frequently do you sync using Fit and Healthy?

Best Answer

I have updated the app so that it imports step counts from Fitbit into S Health.  A tracker tile has been added so that the app can be accessed from S Health itself.  The tracker tile shows the latest step count imported from Fitbit.  History graphs have also been added to the app so that trends can be plotted over time.

More info in the first post.

Best Answer

All I can say is, thank you.  The app is working great.  You are a miracle worker - lol!

Best Answer

I have updated the app so that weight trends can be seen and overlaid over the step count history graph.  This is helpful in comparing how the number of steps affects your weight over a period of time.  I have also fixed a major bug where step counts higher than 12000 were not being imported.  Big thanks to @AndieL for finding that one.

I am working on importing body fat%, distances, calories burnt, heart rates and sleep start/end times next.  After that, I will tackle exporting S Health data to Fitbit (e.g. exporting Gear S2 step data and other devices connected to S Health back to Fitbit).

Best Answer

I would love to have the sleep function carry over into S health. Great app.

Best Answer

The beta testers are testing the function that imports sleep data at this moment, so expect it real soon.

Best Answer
Waiting for gear 2 data from S Health transfer to Fitbit... Thank for all your good work...
Best Answer

After the current round of bug fixes, I will be working on exporting next.

Best Answer
My app is not syncing. It stopped after the update to include step count. I just updated it and still nothing. Any tips?
Best Answer
0 Votes