Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App that syncs Fitbit and Samsung S Health

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fit and Healthy

I have created an app that imports and exports Fitbit step counts, body weight, body fat%, height (and BMI), calories burnt, distance, stairs climbed, heart rate, and sleep start/end times into Samsung S Health.  The app is called "Fit and Healthy" and is available from the Google Play store for Android.  The app accepts a date range to sync.

Importing and exporting of body fat%, height/BMI, calories burnt, distance, heart rate and sleep start/end times require the purchase of an upgrade pack to the base app.  Steps can be imported and exported for free as can body weight import.

The app adds a "tile" to the S Health screen where the latest Fitbit step count can be seen.  Clicking the tile leads to a history graph split into daily, monthly and total history views.  By using the "Source data" menu, the app graphs the Fitbit tracker, your other devices or a combination. Both step counts and weight trends can be viewed in the history graph.

The app can be set to automatically sync every 15 minutes, hourly, 6 hourly, half-day, daily or weekly. The background synchronisation schedule can be set so that the app downloads at a certain time of day (for example, during the waking hours, while exercising or in the off-peak hours).

On first use, the app will ask for permission to read and write from S Health and Fitbit.  Your Fitbit password will be entered into the fitbit.com site on your phone's browser - the app cannot see your Fitbit user id or password.

Next up, I plan to add the importing exercises and food intake.  Other devices are a little further down the track.

This app has been approved by Samsung as a partner app for S Health.  It can be found in S Health, under Partner apps in the fitness category.

I wrote the app as I noticed that there wasn't a way to have the data from my Fitbit Aria weight scale show up in S Health on my Samsung Galaxy phone.  On search, it looked like people have been asking for a feature like this for 2 years (since 2014).

I am looking for feedback on what to improve, features to add and especially bug reports.  The app contains a menu where I can be emailed privately and a discussion group set up to publically talk/complain about the app.

The app can be downloaded and installed from this link in the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jsonlo.fitandhealthy

If you have the google play store installed on your phone, the Fit and Healthy app can be opened from this link:

market://details?id=com.jsonlo.fitandhealthy

I am available and will respond to any queries in this thread or the discussion group:

https://groups.google.com/d/forum/fitandhealthy

Best Answer
216 REPLIES 216

In the app, go to the menu and select Data Sync settings.  Enable the ones you want to sync.

Now go back to the menu and select Permissions and check that all of the switches are enabled - you have to scroll down to enable them all.

On the Fitbit website, go to Settings > Applications and revoke access to Fit and Healthy.

Back in the app, change the date range to something like last week for the first date and todays date of the second date.

Click the green button and the app should ask you to log into Fitbit and grant access.  If it doesn't, clear the cookies in your phone's internet browser and try again.  Grant all of the permissions and then change the date range again and click the green button once more.  The app should ask if you want to launch S Health.  Click Yes and the data should be there.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have released a new version which supports importing body fat%, calories burnt, distances, heart rates and sleep data.

These functions are available for purchase in the form of upgrade packs for the base app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for creating this!  It's awesome!  I'd love to see the water intake transferred from Fitbit to S Health too.

Best Answer

Urgently need S-Health data to flow back to fit bit....that is where all of my fitness friends are.

Best Answer
+1 on the syncing from S Health to Fitbit.

The S Health platform is nice, but since it is OS (and device) specific, hoping we can get some syncing from S Health to Fitbit, should Samsung allow it.
Best Answer

Hi,

I would also like to sync from s health to fitbit. Smiley Happy

I would even pay such an app.

Thank you.

Best Answer

Appreciate the weight sync. Now S Health has most all my health data, but fitbit has all my friends! Would pay to send steps to fitbit, but great work!

Best Answer

I think the issue is that Fitbit only wants fitbit users to access their infrastructure.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm hopeful as well for the S-Health Steps/exercise burn to be exported from S-Health into Fitbit...so it can land in MyFitnessPal in order to calculate the proper calorie adjustment based on activity.

I'm +1 for a beta test if needed for this function.

Versa 3 | Windows 10 | Pixel 4a 5G | 10K Daily | FitBit Food Tracking
Best Answer

Ill be happy to be a beta tester for export of data from shealth (Gear s2) to fitbit dashboard.

Best Answer

@cashewseed This is exactly how I am right now. 

Best Answer

Well not really:

The Fitbit integration only supports sleep so just like the Apple Watch there is very limited functionality between any service outside of the Fitbit ecosystem if you own a Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

We're getting one step closer at least.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have also tried some of the connected apps like Microsoft and Up but it does not look like the data like steps are being pushed from s-health to these other apps
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi jsonio,

How is the progress of the App going.

Also can you comment on how secure it is to use your app to transfer the Health data from Fitbit over to S Health.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ron_L

Still working on the export function.  The change is more difficult than I thought it would be.

In terms of security, the app does not see your Fitbit user id or password.  The user id and password is accepted by the Fitbit site itself.  This is the recommended (and the only acceptable) way for apps to connect to Fitbit.

The Fit and Healthy app sends and receives the Fitbit data over an encrypted connection which prevents other apps from intercepting the data.

Once the data arrives at your device, the app uses Samsung's libraries to add the data to S Health.  This is processed internally using Samsung's code.  It does not require a network connection.

Once inside S Health, there is the option of sending the data to Samsung's server.  This is performed by S Health and is beyond the control of the Fit and Healthy app.

Overall, I would say that the data is secure from end to end.

Best Answer

Ill be happy to also be a beta tester for export of data(steps) from shealth (Gear s2) to fitbit dashboard.  I want to complete with steps with a group.  My wife is killing everyone else....that is until I am able to join in with my Gear S2!

Best Answer

Thanks for the app, its nice to be able to sync weight from fitbit to S Health.

Add me to the list of users who would like to sync from S Health to fibit.

Best Answer

@JL8907 wrote:

Ill be happy to also be a beta tester for export of data(steps) from shealth (Gear s2) to fitbit dashboard.  I want to complete with steps with a group.  My wife is killing everyone else....that is until I am able to join in with my Gear S2!

I am working on exporting data to Fitbit.  However, I do not think that the exported data will count towards challenges and leaderboards.  This is because Fitbit does not count external (non-Fitbit) data.

Best Answer