Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 3 heart rate accuracy concern during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just done a workout and heart rate monitor was down under 90bpm and this was HIIT session. This has started happening in the last week. Very disappointing as not getting the correct calorie burnt reading. Anyone know what I can do? 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

I contacted fitbit who said they know about the issue but can’t do anything about it. Returned mine via Amazon & got another. Not sure if it’s much better and not had chance to try at gym but at least it doesn’t record activity in the shower 

Best Answer
I have read it’s been a problem from the beginning almost a year and half. Just my opinion but I don’t believe it’s an easy fix. I return my device, after reading about all the problems and some people were waiting over a year for a fix. Hopefully they will be a new device coming out soon from what I have read they release new devices every two years

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

For anyone who's still experience ongoing HR monitoring issues here's something that appears to have fixed the problems I was observing.  While it's generally recommended to wear the device back from the wrist  - say one finger width, I actually tried it well back -  more like three or four finger widths back from the wrist bone.  While it may seem an odd place to wear it I put it to the test on a run yesterday and the results were a massive improvement over the previous days run.  The HR readings were now steady,  they where I'd expect them to be, and they tracked very well with increased intensity on hills etc.  And, most importantly there was absolutely no sign of the the erractic readings and spikes that I'd been seeing previously.    😎

Best Answer

I gave this a try today and did see a HUGE improvement in the heart rate reading. Not only did it match how out of breath I was, but it stayed steady throughout the workout. The only annoying thing is as I started sweating it started to slide down my wrist a bit. I had to pause my workout twice to readjust, and while that’s not a huge deal it’s an inconvenience to have to constantly pay attention to its placement for a correct reading. There’s still a few significant drops in bpm reading that you can see in the workout overview, but that may be when the band slid/I took it off to wipe my sweat. 

FBF93234-A701-46EF-AD8F-4D96B6FBF93F.jpeg

0304D7C0-6243-4D2B-8E5E-9D311A078740.jpeg

Best Answer

Keep trying. This is not a new suggestion. Nobody had consistent results wearing it higher in the past. 

Best Answer

I had good results for two consecutive runs, but sadly on the third I started getting HR spikes once again.  I stopped my run and re-adjusted the position of the FitBit back to 'normal' and from that point on the readings remained stable.  So, it is indeed inconsistent. 

Out of curiosity on a fouth run I also wore my Huawei device to see how it compared - they tracked HR pretty closely most of the time but again the Versa 3 spiked a couple of times.   Distance measured on Versa 3 was 100m less over a 7.5km run and the average HR was 1bpm higher - probably due to those spikes.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes
I enjoyed the video.. I new everything was an estimate I was surprised the burned calories was low but that’s okay with me. I have been using Fitbit for 8-9 years and had 4 device’s the first 3 had my heart rate pretty close to the same. I understand each device will be a little different then came the Versa 3 not in the ballpark. I am not sure what Fitbit changed in the Versa 3 and from what read the Sense but it’s a flop and they know it. I am okay with a estimate because it’s a tool to help you and motivate you and track your progress. I am a Fitbit fan and will give them one more chance. I am disappointed in them because they know those last devices have a problem I am guessing they can’t fix easily. I would feel better if they would own up to it. Fitbit is a tool to help but please be consistent. I can’t say it enough the Versa 3 was a flop from some one who used previous devices and based there workouts around them. I don’t need a device that I talk to my wrist or send a text message. I just need a fitness track with GPS

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

@Lilly.b Sense and Versa 3 have a new heart rate technology called Pure Pulse 2, which has two heart rate sensors instead of one.

Best Answer

I’m having this same issue with my Fitbit sense. I miss my old Fitbit Ionic. My HR wouldn’t register over 100 bpm and I was walking at a level 15 incline and dripping sweat. Something is off here, and I’m hoping that I can get a replacement device that’s accurate! I was duped into trading mine in when the Ionic recall happened, and I applauded Fitbit for their commitment to their integrity and the safety of the users, but there’s no integrity in claiming a device is superior to older models when its HR sensor is super inaccurate. If my Fitbit could do one thing WELL, I would hope it it would be measure my HR accurately. 😂

Best Answer
I agree totally. I hope the new devices will fix the flaws of HR monitoring that occurred in the Versa 3 and Sense. I also love Fitbit and will give then one more chance but if the next round of device’s have the same problems I will be forced to look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Same, just replaced my old Ionic which was working fine. Same workouts as before and all of a sudden I have no active minutes when I’m dripping sweat and wiping it on my face. 

Very disappointed!

Anyone have any luck getting this “newer, improved” device replaced with something that actually works? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I replaced my Versa 3 with a Charge 5 and no more such problems.

Still would prefer the Versa because of the altimeter but I guess the charge
will do until the next generation of Versa / Sense hopefully fix that issue.
Best Answer

Once again, during a slow 60 minute run I was seeing large HR spikes - very frustrating!  And as twice previously I stopped my workout and shifted the position of the watch - on this occasion further up my forearm and from that point on it then seemed ok. I'd done the same thing previously - stopping my run and relocating the position of the watch.  First time I moved it up my arm which resulted in stable readings for the rest of the workout.  A few days later however that position produced erratc HR results so I moved it back to the 'normal' position and then once again HR readings were much more stable.  So, it's doesn't seem to be so much about where the watch is positioned as such, but rather more to do with simply repositioning it each time... well, that's my current theory anyway - and one which I'll continue to test.  Not that I should have to of course. It should just work! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a charge 3 my daughter gave me after the versa 3 flop. It works great, my problem is i have trouble seeing the screen with out my reading glasses. If the charge had a little bigger screen it would be my choice.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Now this is crazy. The only thing someone have to keep an eye on while in HIIT session is the heartrate. The Flagships i.e. SENSE and VERSA have the same issue. Suprisingly, low cost CHARGE 4 does a better job than them, when it comes to Heartrate measurements lol, but with less capabilities. Ive seen better reviews for that. Maybe, after my Ionic was recalled, ill move away from FITBIT after 7 years or so to GARMIN preferably or to low cost and yet even the same capabilities and results, Amazfit.

Best Answer

Hello. Dont they say that it has to be worn two fingers apart from the Wrist bone, and tight? Guess thats why it got better maybe?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Help me, Im in the same situation. My Ionic was perfectly working, but I got a refund from Fitbit, and now lost in a sense to decide which one to buy next. Sense or Versa 3 were on the list, but now it seems they are out due to their inaccuracies. I do outdoor cycling, Weights and Cardio. And apparently, all of this doesnt work well with either of the devices.

Are you happy with your Sense? Do you recommend it to me? Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
After my experience with the Versa 3. I would not buy either one. Both have the same HR monitoring system that is not accurate. I am using a charge 3 that my daughter gave me not ideal but works until new devices are released. I have read it should be around August. I hope anyway. I plan on giving then one more chance. I have been using Fitbit a long time the Versa was by far the worst device in the last 7-8 years for me.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@FarhanSoomro I had the Versa 3 which has the same heart rate technology as the Sense. I was very unhappy with it. I got a refund and got the affordable Versa 2 for now. They are still being sold brand new and down to $109 at Costco and Sams club. IDK what I'm going to do next, but this tides me over for a year or so at a reasonable price. I can live with the Versa 2's heart rate performance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes