Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa counting too many floors.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ever since I got my Versa it seems to be grossly over exaggerating my stair count. I had the Charge 2 before the Versa and it was fairly accurate with my stair count, but now it’s more than doubling the number of floors I climb in a day.

Is this a known issue? Has the way in which the Versa calculates stairs climbed change significantly over the Charge 2? I’ve now gone from averaging 15 floors a day to 34. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
300 REPLIES 300

I have had extra floors counted when a weather system came through.  Our last hurricane gave me like 20 floors when I had not climbed one.  It runs off barometric pressure.

Best Answer

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-does-my-tracker-count-floors/?q=count+floors&...

Floors are counted using an altimeter. An altimeter is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure and atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing elevation, so the it calculates elevation gain based on the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Your trackers register a floor when they detect continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet. Given the fact that 10 feet is an average between residential and commercial floor heights, although commercial floors in particular tend to be higher than residential floors.

It will add floors when it is windy or cold.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

It's been the same with me too. Every day it says it climbed around 20 floors when I only did around 4-5. I had the ionic before and it worked perfectly fine. I hate it for this ! 

Best Answer

This just solved one heck of a mystery for me Smiley LOL

Best Answer

While this makes sense I don’t believe it’s the answer. I say that primarily because my Charge 2 was very consistent, as is my routine at work. Now with the Versa it is consistently inaccurate, while my routine has stayed exactly the same.

Since getting the Versa I have experienced super windy days and  extremely calm days. These caused very little difference in my day to day stair count. I live on the coast (altitude of 0-100ft at any given point) so we have a rather consistent pressure. It’s hard for me to correlate this sudden and dramatic increase in stair count to anything other than the device itself.

Please keep in mind I love this new watch, but there definitely seems to be either a software or hardware issue. My bet is software, seeing as other users seem to have similar problems. 

Best Answer

So this is my 2nd day reporting the inaccurate stairs now. Even today I'm getting 4 stairs at 12 55 am when I did 3. Being off by 1 stair is definitely acceptable but by the end of the day it goes up to 27 which is ridiculous !!! 
Yesterdays count went up to a staggering 30 when I did 14 !! 
And then I keep getting badges saying I achieved something nice and set a new personal record which is recording false data and false records !!! 
I'm pretty sure this is with the versa.. I used the Ionic for a month and it was accurate as **ahem** ! 
I read on another thread that restarting it 3 times helps.. did that too but to no avail ! 
Hope fitbit fixes things soon or else I'm returning this ! 
Extremely dissapointed! 

Best Answer

@MarcoGFitbit this is the one I was talking about. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone, I hope you're having a great day, it's nice to see you around @WendyB, thanks for all your help. Smiley Happy

As @WendyB mentioned, sometimes your watch may detect pressure changes unrelated to elevation gains, such as a gust of wind, weather change, or opening a door. Exposure to excess moisture can also result in extra floors being counted. This happens if the pathway to the altimeter on the back of your watch becomes temporarily blocked with sweat or water. At this moment I would like to suggest you to restart your Versa by pressing and holding the Back and Select buttons (left and bottom right) until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen, then test it. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and let me know the outcome. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

yesterday, it had my count at over 61 floors! I was very active, but that's nowhere near the amount I did.

Best Answer

Not just a Versa issue. I wore my Blaze yesterday (Versa arrived too late for me to set up before I left the house), and it chalked up 61 floors! Then I realized it was a really windy day, and I was out walking from one building to another at work - with wind speed of of up to 37 mph.

Best Answer

@MarcoGFitbit

I appreciate you reply but don't really but that though technically all the reasons may sound correct. 
Why is it that the ionic was able to do it consistently for a month straight but the versa is struggling in it's 1st 2 weeks. FYI I stay in Irving, Texas and have been following the same routine even when I had the ionic. There has to be something wrong with the hardware/software since so many others are also complaining about the same thing !
My question is have you guys at fitbit been able to reproduce this issue with whatever reasons the other lady mentioned and if yes is there a fix coming out for that any time soon?

Best Answer

todays update.. 

This morning the error was 1 when I climbed 3 stairs and it showed 2.. still acceptable.. 
Right now at 1 28 pm Versa says I climbed 32 floors.
I've only done only 9 what the hell is wrong ? If for any reason there is an error of 23 floors then there cannot be an explanation saying that yes it's the weather or a door was opened or it was wet!
At this point pretty much the product is completely at fault!
This is data is nothing but garbage ! It doesn't even make sense to collect this data and look back at it to track your calories of exercise because it's not relevant at all.
Also I've tried restarting it.. not once but thrice ! 
I'm okay with restarting it every morning if it's gonna give me a little more accurate data!
If this continues I'm pretty sure I'm giving terrible reviews (which is nothing but the truth) and writing blogs about why the Versa randomly generates data! 
Fitbit please respond to this ! 

Moderator Edit: Format + Word Choice.

Best Answer

I work in basement level three and I regularly take the stairs to the first floor. My watch has estimated about a couple of floors in addition. However one floor, as I understand it is two sets of 10 ft stairs. When I looked at FitBit's information, it says a floor is 10 ft. I am counted that as my reasoning for my floor fluctuation. I am using the Versa.

Back on the bandwagon; Versa, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @faerieflyinfree@Roehit@Jujube289 and @jenny2point1, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

@faerieflyinfree, @Jujube289 and @jenny2point1, I appreciate you have already restarted your Versa and test it out afterwards. At this moment I would to suggest you to perform an accuracy test to make sure your watch is working correctly.

To perform the accuracy test:

1. Find a location where you have 2 flights of stairs in a row. Each flight of stairs should be at least 10 feet tall.
  2. Put on your tracker and check the number of floors before you begin to walk.
  3. Walk up the 2 flights in a row, trying not to stop at any point.
  4. Once you reach the top of both flights of stairs, stop to look at the number counted.

If the number of floors counted is significantly off, please reply to me so I can determine which steps should we take next.

@Roehit, thanks again for your patience and working through these troubleshooting steps. I’ve reached the limits of what I can do for you here on the public community forums, so I've contacted our Support team on your behalf to look into this issue further and provide you with some options. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for further instructions.  

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply as well. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

Thank you for your response @MarcoGFitbit.

I just did what you asked: I started at 2 floors per FitBit app. I went from my floor at basement lvl 3 to basement lvl 1 and the app stated I went 3 floors instead of 2. My 2 floors climbed changed to 5 floors climbed in the FitBit app. 

Best Answer

@MarcoGFitbit thank you so much for your reply. I haven't gotten any emails regarding the same so far but will keep a watch. I haven't done the test yet that you mentioned but I'm gonna do that in a few minutes and will post the update here.
As for the daily update that I've been doing so far I just reached office and checked my floor count... It shows 7 instead of 3. If I'm not wrong yesterday it showed 4 when I took the same stairs.. Also by the end of the day it showed that I did 34 floors which is nowhere close to the actual stairs.  

Best Answer

Just did the test and the results are still consistent what the observations since the past few days. 
I already had 7 stairs on my watch.. went down 3 stairs... still showed 7.. wonder if it only counts stairs climbed or also you go down?!
Made sure I didn't have my phone in my hand while so they could move freely to avoid any inconsistencies. 
Climbed up 2 floors and the count showed 8 when it should have shown 9. And yes I did stop to check the result and wasn't running. Climbed another flight of stairs and check again and the number did not not change.. it was still 8. 
There's no catch in the stairs.. they were around 10 feet. Just to knock off that reason as well.
Also this is not just because I'm here to complain but to make other users and fitbit aware of what is happening and what should be done. Hope these observations help. Thanks. 

Best Answer

I read that FitBit only counts going up stairs. 

So with what you just did, it didn't count all the floors this time?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope it basically showed I climbed 1 floor when I climbed 2. And later didn't change at all when I climbed another one. 

Best Answer