Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa problems not counting steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my versa 5 days and it's not counting steps accurately. It's is very intermittent.  Sometime I can walk for 10 to 20 steps and it doesn't count any.  I contacted fitbit and they got me to do a test.  In this test I had to walk in a straight line and like a solider, it counted 97 out of 100 steps so they said there is not an issue.  I explained that you don't always walk in a straight line and it's very intermittent.   Fitbit don't want to know and are been unhelpful.  Has anyone else had this same issue? Also the exercises are not recording in the app dashboard on workout and circuit training mode, they record stats on the watch but in the app it doesn't show stats for time or calories in the front exercise screen.  The charge 2 used to record time.and calories burnt.  The versa just shows a -- for.calories burnt.  Think maybe there are still some small issues to resolve with the versa. 

Best Answer
153 REPLIES 153

Hi @Littlemis! Welcome to the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

Sometimes your steps will be delayed by a few extra seconds before they appear recorded on the watch. I think a little variation is expected depending on your arm's movement when you walk. To read more on step accuracy, read here. For the calories burned, they should also show up for each activity inside the Fitbit app. I would make sure you have the latest version of the Fitbit app. In addition, make sure you're syncing a few times after long activities so all the data successfully transfers over from the watch to the app. Since you just recently started using the watch, I would continue using and monitoring the behavior for anything out of the ordinary. Most likely, you just have to adjust to the new setup and OS the Versa provides. If you continue to have issues, let me know so I can help you out. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
Hi thanks for your reply.

The steps don't register even later they are not counted at all. It misses
them completely.

I sync after every exercise and data still does not show on the app on the
front screen like the charge 2 did. Plus I have the latest version. The
same issue is happening on the ionic , which I have found out from
researching the forums. It's obviously an issue fitbit need to resolve on
the app. The data is shown on the watch and it you log in to your account
on a pc. Just not on the front page when you go in to the exercise on the
app.

Let's hope it gets investigated and resolved soon.
Best Answer

For the second day, my Versa has counted a few hundred steps and then reset to 0.  Yesterday after 30 minutes on the treadmill, I had a few hundred steps less than when I began.  I don’t think it was counting backward because when I swiped up, I saw the starting number disappear and be replaced by, probably, the number of treadmill steps.  So, it did not add steps, it just replaced the number.  I reset the Versa yesterday.  Any ideas of how I can fix this?

Best Answer

Please keep us updated on the status. Hoping this is isolated, which we won't know, until the grand release of the Versa. Even if it's not isolated, let's hope it can be fixed quickly with a software update.

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply.  I deleted Mobile Tracker (might not be the right name) from the Fitbit app on my phone, reset my phone, and so far steps are adding as they should and the syncs are syncing correctly.  My fingers are crossed that this fixed it.

Best Answer

Yes I agree I hope they have a software update for the issues with the exercise not showing the time or calories in the app on the excercise screen.  I'm currently still have issues with it not counting all steps.  

Best Answer

I was really never able to understand that bug. If the Ionic/Versa are sending complete information to the App, why isn't the App able to just show what it gets?

And it's super weird that it has taken them so much time to figure that out...

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer

Update:  After removing Mobile Tracker from my phone and resetting my phone, everything with the Fitbit has been perfect.  

Best Answer

I occasionally have the same issue on my Ionic. Have you tried restarting the Versa? That usually helps in my Ionic.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not sure about the steps on the Versa either.  I had the watch on my nightstand and when I woke up I had over 16,000 steps!  After talking to support they said it could have been a nearby fan (not on the same surface) that caused this, so I will test it again tonight.  However, I followed the instructions on the Fitbit site that says you can add an activity of "driving" and that should reset your steps to zero.  That did not work - they are aware.  I have little faith that this is very accurate, but will give it another go tomorrow. I also tried restarting the watch, as instructed by support.  I do not see an app on my phone called Mobile Tracker, so if anyone had any other suggestions to try, please share.  I really want to like this watch, and would hate to have to send this one back like I did with the Ionic (for different reasons).  Come Fitbit, don't let us down! Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer

@FitTaylor what you're describing is usually known as "Ghost Steps." I'm assuming they didn't got you any miles nor calorie count because they aren't really adding up into your account. Therefore, you can't substract those or hide them behind a "Driving" exercise (which will in fact delete properly recorded steps).

It's super weird because they definitely come from the tracker, so I don't know why the account adds them if it's not going to allow them to count towards mileage, calorie burn, etc. 

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ive had the same problem. I set my fitbit up this morning and it isbt counting my steps. I called fitbit and they did the 100 step test and it didnt count any of the steps 

Best Answer

Please can I ask what have fitbit said to do next if it isn't counting any steps?

Best Answer

They sent me an email and told me to factory reset the watch and start all over and set it up again. I don’t know for sure cause I haven’t took the 100 steps yet but it seems to be counting them semi correctly 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah this is a major problem . I've had the versa for less than 24 hours and I noticed right away the step counting is off . 

I'm unfortunately wearing an apple watch on my other wrist and it has poor step tracking and it's twice the amount of the versa. 

Fitbit could you look into this immediately?

Step tracking is the most important feature of the Versa and it's not working properly at launch .

Fitbit Vera SE
Best Answer

Hey folks! How are you today? Smiley Happy

I can see that you have accuracy issues in regards of steps. For some of you, the watch isn't counting all of your steps and for some others, it is counting more steps than those that you are actually doing. So first of all, I'd like you to take into consideration in which hand are you wearing your Fitbit Versa. If you are right handed, please wear it  on your non-dominant hand and set that option through your Fitbit account as well, 'cause by wearing it that way, your watch won't track so many steps that you are actually not doing. You can also take a look at the following article that explains how the wrist Fitbit count steps. 

However, if it is counting less steps, you can try to restart it by following this: 

1. Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.
  3. If your Fitbit Versa doesn't work normally, use the instructions in How do I turn off my Fitbit device? to turn your watch off and on again.

Let me know how it goes guys! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Thanks after the hard restart, the tracking is working properly.  It's actually over reporting and I'll adjust my stride length.  I'll monitor over the next few days.

I took 300 steps.

The Versa reported 435.

The Apple Watch Series 2 Reported 208.  (This is actually better than normal 😞 )

Fitbit Vera SE
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ohhh. I didn't think of that.  I have the MobileTrack enabled as well.  I'm removing it.

Fitbit Vera SE
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi i didnt wear my new versa tiday whatsoever and it has counted 445 steps all on it's own 

Best Answer