Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Although redirect_uri = callback url, keep getting "invalid redirect_uri parameter value"

ANSWERED

I develop an app that send workout data to Fitbit.

After entering login and password in Fitbit authorization page, the app keeps getting "invalid_request - invalid redirect_uri parameter value". We have double checked the redirect_uri and callback url to make sure they are matching. This app and mechanism has been working for years and suddenly it stops working 1-2 weeks ago. 

What could be the reason of the error?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@GordonFitbit, I can no longer see the error since last weekend. Look like the fix has been deployed. Thank you!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
23 REPLIES 23

Hi @rwinata,

Would you please provide me with your authorization URL that contains the redirect_uri parameter?

Thanks!

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

For clarification, are you getting the error message instead of the scope page being displayed, or does the error message occur when the user enables the scopes and presses the "Apply" button?

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

@GordonFitbit, after filling username / password and login, the user gets the error message instead of scope / permission page.

Best Answer

@GordonFitbit, any idea about the above problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

There could be a few things that are causing the error message

1. the redirect url in your authorize string needs to exactly match the URL in the dev.fitbit.com settings

2. in the authorization string you provided, 

redirect_uri=https://www.lfconnect.com/lfservice/third_party_apps_auth/source=Web&target=Fitbit

it looks like you have an "&" in it.  Since & are used to denote separation between the URL parameters, the & in your string could be thinking the redirect URL is shorter than it actually is.  Can you change your redirect URL so it doesn't contain the &

3. Lastly, I see you have the parameter "state" but no value.  I would recommend removing it.

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, @GordonFitbit!

You are right about the "&" in redirect_uri. After login, the redirect_url is carried-forward unescaped.

We're using the redirect_uri with "&" for quite some time without any issue. Is it possible for Fitbit to support it again?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @rwinata 

We're looking into the reason why you no longer can include an & in the redirect_uri.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

@rwinata How is this problem impacting your application?   Are you able to use the workaround of not using an & in the redirect_uri parameter?

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

@rwinata One other question for you, when the application executes the /oauth2/authorize endpoint and the user is not logged in, the user should be prompted to log into their fitbit.com account.  Would you please send me a screen shot of the login page and the URL?   Once they log in, does the user get the error?

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

How is this problem impacting your application?   Are you able to use the workaround of not using an & in the redirect_uri parameter?

Currently, our users can't enable the Fitbit sync in our app. We investigated and tested passing the URL without ampersand and it's confirmed to be the cause. There's no simple workaround at this moment because we need to redesign the URL to use not more than 1 parameter.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @rwinata 

We have isolated a problem when using parameters in the callback URL and we are working on a fix.  I'll try to find out when the fix will be available in production.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Glad to hear that, @GordonFitbit. Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

We are seeing the same issue regarding the error message but have no special chars in the redirect URI at all.  Our app was working fine a few days ago and now it is failing.  We are able to login via the OAuth screen but are presented with the invalid redirect URI before we get redirected to your authorize screen.  This seems to only be an issue with our mobile applications at this time. Our web version is not having this issue.

Our Redirect URI is: https://www.<host>.com/service-auth

Is this a known issue?

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @angelir 

Would you please post your entire /oauth2/authorize URL?

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @GordonFitbit ,

Here is the url with the client and host removed.  The client is our fitbit clientId.  Again, this has not changed on our end for quiet some time.

https://www.fitbit.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=<removed>&redirect_uri=https://www.<removed>.com/s...

I appreciate your attention to this!

Thanks,

Rob

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @angelir 

I'm not able to reproduce the error message with your authorization URL.  Is the redirect URL specified in your authorization URL, the same as what is defined in dev.fitbit.com?    They need to match.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

@GordonFitbit, do you have ETA for the fix?

Best Answer
0 Votes