Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make your OAuth2.0 request in less than 1 minute.

Please make sure to check out our tutorial page with step-by step instructions on how to obtain access token or how to use code and refresh token flow.

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 10.16.53 PM.png

Note: each access token issued by Fitbit is JWT token. Use jwt.io to get insights about what data this token has. Worth noting refresh token is not JWT token. 

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

In the 'Parse Response' section, upon copy-pasting the curl I am getting this error "Token response does not match the expected format; please check that you're using the correct OAuth 2.0 flow.".

Could you please help me here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ulsmanikanta, you suppose to paste the result of curl command that you execute in your command line, not the curl itself.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,

I am looking to develop an application that shows fitbit data using node red and IBM bluemix.

At the moment I am just working using my local server. For me to register my app and with fitbit dev I have to enter a URL would I be able to use my local host address as the URL?

Im sorry if this sounds like a silly question, I am still in the early stages of development and trying to get my head round how I am going to get everything to work.

Thanks in advance

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not working 😕 I'm getting this error in the curl response:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 05:09:31 GMT
Content-Type: application/json;charset=utf-8
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Connection: keep-alive
Vary: Origin,Accept-Encoding
Cache-control: no-cache, private
Content-Language: en-US
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
Expect-CT: max-age=604800, report-uri="https://report-uri.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct"
Server: cloudflare
CF-RAY: 41270466182695a4-IAD
{"errors":[{"errorType":"invalid_request","message":"Missing 'grant_type' parameter value. Visit https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/oauth2 for more information on the Fitbit Web API authorization process."}],"success":false}

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry, but is there a tutorials page still available? I am new to fitbit dev community.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, the tutorials are still available.  Please check out the "Getting Started" page.  After registering your application, you'll see the OAuth 2.0 Tutorial page as described at the beginning of this post.

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Im getting the same. Any links to solve this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ShreeTya  I moved your question as a new topic in the forums.  We will respond there.

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

In my app the display is showing "401". It won't work even I'm logged in.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I need too know more about this platforms can anyone help?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Christianwisin 

What information do you need to know about this platform?

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @423536271827 

Looks like we missed your problem.   Would you please tell us what endpoint you're executing and what error message text you're getting?

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Can someone make step-by-step instructions because I've used the OAuth 2.0 Tutorial Page and followed every step, but now I'm lost as to what to do with the access token after receiving it. It's frustrating that it doesn't clearly explain how to implement afterwards. 

I've used this https://github.com/Fitbit/sdk-oauth and replaced the client code/secret. Then it doesn't work. I'm sure there's something else I need to do with the access token code-wise but I don't see any clear guides on what to do with it.

Best Answer

Here's another sample app, but I don't think it will help much because it's based on Fitbit's sdk-oauth sample. It also contains code for sending data to a third-party server, which will be distracting.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

That did help a bit! Now, in companion/index.js I’m seeing both “accessToken” and “access_token” in there. Where were they defined? Or were they obfuscated? And is a refresh token needed generally?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's been a while since I wrote that, so I'm pretty rusty.

It seems that data.access_token is provided by the Fitbit oauth setting component.

accessToken is a parameter used in my fetchData() function. The value should be the same, since accessToken is initialised from data.access_token.

I probably just changed the capitalisation to be consistent with JS norms.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

I copied and pasted all the code from https://github.com/Fitbit/sdk-oauth (adjusting for index.view and widget.defs) into Fitbit Studio and registered this app, replaced the Client ID and Client Secret accordingly. Also declared the redirect URI as https://localhost:8080. I even ran it through the OAuth 2.0 Tutorial Page. Running the watchface code, I got an error: 

The app you're trying to connect did not provide valid information to Fitbit. Please report this issue to them.

Developer information: invalid_request - Invalid redirect_uri parameter value

Can anyone tell me how to make this code operational?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@iPh33rYou seem to be combining bits of the raw Web API process and the Oauth settings component used to make watch apps. I'm confused!

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

I’m confused too, which is why I wanted to use someone else’s working code as a foundation to understanding the process. But it seems the code everyone points to as an example isn’t working to begin with? 

I’ve never had a successful experience with this process and that would really help me. Are there any watch apps on GitHub that’s simple and current and functional that I can use?

Best Answer
0 Votes