Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Zip battery draining issues

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is anyone currently having issues with battery draining on a Fitbit Zip? Mine is a real problem and currently the batteries are lasting several DAYS only! I previously contacted Customer support and my issue was not resolved they just said they weren't aware of this issue with anyone else using a Samsung Galaxy android phone. I have to get this sorted it is costing me an arm and a leg. Surely the issue isn't the phone anyway, the battery is showing empty on the actual Zip not just on the App.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
121 REPLIES 121

Energizer ECR2025 3V Lithium. I've been having good luck with these. These should have a 5 to 10 year lifetime. Speaking of lifetime, I worked at a hardware store once. I watched the battery sales person stocking our shelf. He just put the new ones in front and shoved the older ones back. I asked him, Don't batteries have a shelf life? He just looked at me like I was just a woman asking a stupid question. I knew who the stupid one was, not me.

I found this message.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Zip/Fitbit-Zip-batteries/td-p/152553/page/2

from 12-02-14

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here! The support team haven't given much support apart from checking the battery troubleshooting guide, which I have done and nothing is helping. They are refusing to send a replacement and have told me to continue to use my fitbit zip!

Thought it was just me!.

I use a huawei smart phone and my previous phone was a Samsung galaxy S8 and have suffered the same problems with both phones.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having same problem went from 6 month battery life to less than a month. When I sync the app says the battery is ok but the zip says it’s dead and drops all the data. Something changed  in the last couple of months and if it continues I am going to switch. Sad the zip was great and don’t like how Fitbit looks to be trying to kill it off.

Best Answer

I agree. I really like having a non watch option but they have gone away from that.

Best Answer

My problem seems to have gotten better.  I did a few things per support.  Cleaned inside battery slot, logged out of App, deleted it and reinstalled.  Bought cheap generic batteries on amazon.  I’m on week 2 with no issues.  Fingers crossed.  

Best Answer
Exactly!! I love the clip on feature. I had no issues with Fitbit 1 either. They killed that one off for this one ugh

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I work in a lab and always having to wash utensils, beakers, bottles, and flasks. I wore my watch for a while, but I can't be taking it off and on. I love the zip. It works best for me. I can see there are a lot more Zip lovers on the fitbit community which does not even come near the actual number of people who use the FITBIT ZIP. A lot of people don't bother contributing to the community. I am going onto the product help forum just so I can be a voice for the ZIP. I love Fitbit ZIP!

Best Answer
Preach it 🙌

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
So my zip is dead, bought the inspire hr just to realize it's not meant to
be worn in a clip, only the basic inspire going through the hastle of
return and re buy, hope that can save the aggravation for someone else
Best Answer

I did not realize they had a version that had the belt clip option so thank you for that information.  And thank you for pointing out the difference (i.e. only the non heart rate one can go in a clip).  They don't put much effort into advertising that it has a belt clip option, you have to look in accessories.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thx !! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem.  It’s not your phone because I sync mine to my iPad.  I have changed to brand new batteries twice this week.

It’s not the phone.  I use an iPad.

I have the watch too, but I don’t like the way that it counts steps.  On the other hand, the face on my Zip has been black since sometime last year.  It still works, but now it drains the battery within days.  That has only started within the last couple of weeks.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the exact same problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure what is happening......but since I deleted all contact and then re-added them to phone and computer and I also set to Sync only as manual.............my battery is doing better..........

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have it on my phone, only the PC. I'll try changing it to manual sync only and see if that works. I've gone thru a battery a week for the past month. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm still getting several weeks out of a single battery (and bought a 5-pack on eBay for ~$2USD). My tips: (1) wear neoprene gloves when installing them, potentially eliminates possibility of skin oils impacting it (just a theory), (2) when replacing battery, raise the internal metal slightly to make a better connection (made a major difference for me), (3) turn off automatic sync and do it manually (this also provided me significantly greater battery life). Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the response. I turned off the auto sync and I always pull that little tab up - haven't tried the gloves - and "several weeks" is still pretty pathetic for battery life when FitBit says the Zip should only need a battery every six months. I replaced the battery four or five days ago and it said full for a couple of days and today it's another "low battery alert." I'd like Fitbit to send me a "Low product quality alert" because that would be more honest. And I'm sure this response will be removed for being too much of a slam on the product. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m doing much better. The cheap batteries I got Last longer. Along with other steps taken I’m on week 6. Longest stretch in the last three months.

Sent from my Deborah’s iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@commname52 YW. Every 6 months? I'd not seen this and am happy with the performance I'm getting. Several weeks; I'd replaced mine last on December 15th and my Zip, including many syncs, is still showing 100% full on the app. It's a great product IMO. It was inexpensive, I've had mine for years, and still works fantastically. I *did* have battery issues a year ago which is when I began lifting the metal tab, disabling all-day-sync and using the neoprene gloves. Unsure what battery brand you're using or if it makes a big difference, but I'm using SONY, UPC 0008562007635. Previously, I'd used "Sunbeam" (Dollar Tree) and replaced it more frequently. I get feeling frustrated when something doesn't work as intended or expected. Personally, I'm grateful Fitbit allows me to use discontinued trackers. I still have not only the Zip but also the One and a Surge. Eventually, when budget allows, I might get a newer model, but maybe not as still very happy with these antiquated models. BTW, This is a user forum, so you're chatting with other users like me and you, but Fitbit reps occasionally pop in. Cheers!

PS. Here's the eBay listing I'd purchased from, I'd written ~$2. It's specifically $2.55 for a 5-pack. Not too shabby! https://www.ebay.com/itm/174031163036 you can find other 5-packs for under $1 each, though unsure of the quality. These have worked better than any other CR2025's I've used before. Perhaps these will work better for you too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Flwrpwrchick. that's fantastic! Sometimes generic cheap batteries work fine. I'd used some before, as well as Dollar tree "Sunbeam" brand. Most recently, purchased SONY ones from eBay, primarily as the shipper was closest geographically to me and they've lasted over 2 months so far on the first one and still showing as "full" in the app. I'd shared elsewhere in this thread, using gloves to handle them, disabling all-day-sync, and raising the metal tab also helped (me) tremendously. Cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes