Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot open the Zip battery door

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I can't remove the battery door on my Zip using a coin. Attempts have already caused some damage to the coin slot. Any ideas about how to proceed. Thanks...

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

So...I lost my Fitbit 3 or 4 years ago and just found it in a pants pocket!  Yay!  Surprisingly, I couldn't open it with a quarter, and thought the battery had corroded it shut.  I read all the responses here - surprised there's a "tool" - have no idea where that would be.  Tried the hammer, hitting it harder and harder since I don't think I'm going to get this thing to ever work again anyway.  As a last resort, I tried the hair dryer and it worked!!  Bingo!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
80 REPLIES 80

You need to use the tool that came with it.

Fitbit Zip

If you find your answer, be sure to mark it as a solution!

Best Answer

A coin should work just fine.  When you say the cover is stuck, will it not turn, or once it turns, can you not get it off?  A small pen knife will help in popping it off.  If it won't turn, take a damp cloth and try to clean the cover to help remove any "gunk" that might be making it stick.

Best Answer

Thank you!  I too was having difficulty!  It worked!

Start up instructions should include "use the tool provided.."  for us dummies!

Best Answer

Because it's so totally like fitbit to make a device that *could* use a coin to open but no, they gotta be cute and have a "tool" ... a small, easy to lose tool. ugh. i cannot open mine either and the plastic those things are made out of is so cheap that a few failed attempts with a coin and the battery door is shredded. i have given up on fitbit. it seemed cool at first but has been nothing but annoying ever since. i've tried a few of the different fitbits like the Charge HR which seems cool but i get a terrible rash after wearing it for more than 24 hours. same deal with the Surge. i give up. i walk, who cares how many steps i take.

i found a flat-head screwdriver worked perfectly. if you have a few of different sizes around, try it out

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Hi there @Steveski. Thank you for sharing with us that a flat-head screwdriver worked perfectly. 

I know the battery tool is easy to loose for it size, but this was included in order to avoid any damage on the plastic of the back cover of the zip. A coin has worked also like it was mentioned before here by @Jim_M and it wont caused any damage either.

But I guess a screw driver, if is not causing any damage it will be fine too. Although if the back of the Zip cannot be removed, the best is to approach to our Support Team as was mentioned by @LucyAP on this other post.

See you around and thank you again for this workaround.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a brand new fitbit zip and the battery door will not open.  Tried the tool, coin and screwdriver.

Best Answer

Here is an old response from Lenu back on 4/20-15 and it worked for me:

Lay it face down on a flat surface and tap the cover LIGHTLY with a hammer to loosen

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Misty67 and welcome to the Fitbit Community @knoelle

Thank you for your suggestion @Misty67.

Since it's been a few weeks since you posted @knoelle, I'm wondering if were you able to open your Zip following all the suggestions from this thread? I'm just giving follow up in case you still need help.

Let me know how it goes. See you around.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought this and the battery died with out the tool to get the batter door open it is impossible. I have misplaced my tool and have tried a number of alternative suggested on the web quarters etc.. will the plastic is so soft that it gauges the slot and now I am not sure if I find the tool if it will open. Fitbits response, we will give you 25% off new purchase. Why would I want to buy another piece of Crap!!!
FYI they do not sell replacement tools and why would they design something so poorly!

Best Answer

great questions. serious design flaw IMHO. i got so fed up with it (and fitbit) i just gave up on it. there are other/better fitness trackers out there, i'd go with one of them.

Best Answer

I agree.  Replacing non-rechargeable batteries is a pain in most devices.  Fitbit seems to go out of their way to make it even more difficult in their Zip.  I thought I was the only one with trouble until I checked online.  It is difficult hold the Zip while trying to open the battery cover.  The slot in the battery is not deep enough to engage the provided "tool" or a US quarter given the resistance to turning.  And, after turning the cover, there is no easy way to pry it open unless it falls out (which mine never does).  I would really love to meet the product designer who designed the Zip case/cover or the product tester who passed it. 

Best Answer

I feel your pain I finally found the right coin to get it to open

Best Answer

what coin did you get to work with it. the only thing i've gotten to work is a large flat-head screwdriver and i have to press down *just right* for it to work. crazy.

Best Answer
I replied to this once before. move the back so that the arrows line up. Put device on a towel, face down.  Cover with towel.  LIGHTLY tap the device with a hammer.  the back will come off.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am in the same boat.. I have tried numerous products here..the ones with wristbands literally disintegrate after a few months. so I was excited to try the zip but the battery door will not open.. I have tried 2 of these. I give up.. going to apple watch.. the money I have spent on trying various fitbit products would have paid for the apple watch argh! 

Best Answer
Try this
Turn Fitbit face down on a towel. Cover with towel. Tap LIGHTLY with hammer. The battery cover will loosen and you will be able to remove it

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Why don't you try this:  Invent a shrinking ray.  Reduce your size.  Crawl CAREFULLY into the Fitbit.  Open the battery compartment from the inside. 

Best Answer

that's worth a shot 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Lol

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes