Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip Firmware Release Version 5.90

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 8/25/2018: This firmware release was completed last year and I'm closing this thread for further responses. If you are experiencing an issue with your Zip and are unable to find a thread that addresses the issue on the Flex board, please start a new thread. Thank you! 

Update 11/9/2017: We have continued to roll out this firmware for the Fitbit Zip, and expect more users will see it as available today. This is a progressive rollout, if you haven't seen it previously you should by the end of day today. 

We've begun to roll out new firmware for Zip. This is a progressive rollout, and all Zip users can expect to have it within a few days. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Click here to see our firmware release help article for more details on version 5.90.

Instructions for updating your tracker can be found here.

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

So, I lost the ability to Bluetooth sync back around Oct 25th (had ver 5.89). Finally, switched to Fitbit Classic Mode & was able to sync with the dongle. Updated to ver 5.90, but still couldn't Bluetooth sync. Noticed yesterday my zip was syncing without the dongle (I was concerned that it was doing the "all day sync" despite my turning that feature off). My Bluetooth sync ability is back! However, I started getting the "flashing rectangle" in lower right corner, even though the app said my battery was full. After syncing a few times (within the space of maybe 10 min), it finally said that the battery was low (when from full to low?) After another sync or two, it decided my battery was half-full. I have no idea what to believe. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I kept emailing customer service and they finally gave me a decent offer on a new tracker.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Having the exact same issue.  Really IRRITATED!!!

Jamie Yoder
Best Answer
0 Votes
Keep in contact with Fitbit customer service. They finally offered me something.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
A family member gave me a replacement Zip for Christmas. It has 5.86 on it, which is allowing it to sync with Bluetooth. I will ignore any and all prompts to update the firmware until I see that this issue so many people are having has been fully resolved. "Upselling" me (pushing me to buy a more expensive model, with or without coupon/discount) is NOT an acceptable response!
Best Answer

Same here. They sent me a new Zip after I whinged about battery life. I now have two Zips with identical faults. Can’t afford to change battery every week.

Best Answer

I have one PC with the dongle, a second PC with Bluetooth, and a brand new Samsung tablet with Bluetooth. After the firmware update to 5.90 the Zip syncs perhaps one time in 100 tries. On the previous firmware, it synced EVERY time. It's also going through a battery a week since the firmware upgrade. FitBit has killed my Zip.

Best Answer

I think one of the problems with the firmware update is that I've noticed that my Fitbit seems to be on "All Day Sync" even though I have it turned off (slider bar to the left)!!! I know this since I will see steps before it syncs. Furthermore, when I had it in classic mode but did not have the dongle in, it still synced. Also, I put my Zip on the dresser when I go to bed and it goes into "sleep mode" (blank screen). However, when I get up in the morning, without even touching the Zip, I see "0". It should still be blank until I touch it ("wake it up"). So it must automatically wake up (at midnight, presumably) and stay on (showing "0") for 8 hours until I get up!!! The "awake when should be asleep" and the "all day sync on when should be off" is draining the battery. Never had this problem before.

Best Answer

Have the new firmware 5.90 for my zip but still having problems with batteries going dead.  Three batteries dead in 7 days.  This is  getting to expensive.  About ready to throw my zip away.  Need to find a fix quickly or I may have to look for another fitness band.

Best Answer

Same here, since firmware update, it is eating battery after about 7 days. I turned off all auto sync options to see if it helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Warning to Fitbit Zip owners: Do not update your tracker to 5.90! Decline all prompts to update your tracker until the known issues have been resolved.

I regrettably updated my Zip tonight, which has otherwise worked perfectly until this time.  While the installation was underway, I searched the web to see what exciting new updates I would be treated to. I was horrified to see all the posts about issues with synchronization and with battery drain post update.  At that point, it was too late for me to back out.  I saw that the issues started in October, and hoped that a solution might be available at this time and hoped for the best as the update completed. Unfortunately no such solution seems to exist. I wish that I had seen a warning such as this prior to initiating the update! (edit: at no point did I attempt to STOP the update as I knew doing so would likely result in corrupt software)

Updating your Fitbit Zip to firmware 5.90 will turn it into a brick.  Customer support is said to be working on this issue (as per other posts), but no solution is available at this time. I have reached out to customer support via Twitter live chat, but have not yet heard back.  Fitbit, I feel it is not acceptable to prompt your users to install an update that is so obviously flawed.  I did not wish for my $60 piece of technology to become a paperweight.  Based on what others have written, it seems that Fitbit may be offering discounts to users experiencing ongoing issues.   I do not want a discount on a new tracker; I already have a Fitbit Charge 2 HR, which I use as my fitness and work watch and tracker.  I want a low profile tracker to wear discretely when I'm not wanting a sporty look.  I'm seriously disheartened that my optimistic and trusting choice to install the update has now destroyed a piece of technology that was a dear gift from a now deceased uncle.  Please offer me a solution or a roll back to the previous firmware!

What I've tried so far: Earlier tonight I installed a fresh battery, so the charger was functioning at 100% battery at the time of the update. I have power cycled both my phone and the Zip.  I have attempted to reinstall the software update and was met with error "400", "bad request."  I have attempted to "set up a device" and reconnect the zip as a new zip.  After entering the code, I was again met with the error 400.  What more can I do?! I anxiously and disheartedly await your response Fitbit.  

Moderator edit: font/capitalization/highlight

=======================================================

Update:  Here are the steps I've been provided by the support team, all of which have failed to resolve the issue.  I've been told that not all users are experiencing the issues which I (and most of you) have been facing, which is somewhat reassuring, but there are still plenty of us that have been negatively affected by this software update. If any users have suggestions beyond what I've copied below, please let me know! 

Please find the troubleshooting steps to follow below:

1. Upon checking our records, we can notice your iOS device has an update available for the Fitbit app. Please update the Fitbit app from your App Store. (note: I had already uninstalled and reinstalled the fitbit app, and never saw that any updates were available so I don't think this was true.  I may have an older version on a different device)
  2. Remove your Zip from the Bluetooth on your iOS device by tapping on the "i" icon next to the name of your tracker. (there was no "i" beside the Zip)
  3. Turn off the Bluetooth on the iOS device.
  4. Turn off the iOS device and leave it off. 
  5. Reset the Zip by removing the battery, waiting ten seconds and putting the battery back in. 
  6. Turn the iOS device back on and turn the Bluetooth back on as well.
  7. Try to go through the update from the Fitbit app on your iOS device.

If the Zip still does not go through the update, please review further steps below:

1. Place yourself on the Dashboard in the Fitbit app and locate the Account icon (looks like a credit card at the top right corner) and tap on it.
  2. Tap on + Set up a Device and choose the Zip.
  3. Tap on Replace your Fitbit Zip at the bottom of the screen.
  4. Follow the instructions onscreen to set up the device (this will not delete any information from the account or the Zip itself). (this lead to the same 404 error message)

You may temporarily remove/unpair your Zip from your account by doing the steps below:

• 1. Visit https://www.fitbit.com/settings/device and click the tile for the tracker you'd like to remove. You'll see the Devices page for that tracker.
  • 2. Scroll down and click "Remove this tracker from your account."
  • 3. Restart your tracker by following the steps contained in: How do I restart my tracker?
  • 4. Set the tracker back up on the account by following the steps contained in: How do I set up my tracker? 
  • Outcome: now my zip is unpaired and is not recognized by any devices.  I've had several friends attempt to add my zip to their accounts across different iOS and Android platforms.  No luck! 

PS: Kate, why provide us with the option to adjust font and colour if moderators will come through later and edit our posts?  I had formatted my post to improve readability. 

=================================================================

Update: After continuous failed troubleshooting, I was offered either a direct replacement for the Zip or a 50% discount on the Charge 2, Alta HR, or Flex 2.  For the direct replacement of the Zip, the warranty would be backdated to the original purchase.  In addition, the customer is responsible for the price of shipping the faulty device back to the facility, which for me cost $18.29 (tracking number and in protective packaging) which is 30% of the original purchase price!!!  I decided to go with the 50% discount on an Alta HR.  If you go with the 50% discount, your new purchase will have a new warranty.  This 50% discount seems like a better deal as it offers a discount value that more closely approximates the original purchase price plus the cost of mailing, and you get a new warranty (which these devices seem to need!).

I'm pretty disappointed that this whole situation wasn't simply avoided by a more thorough quality analysis check by the fitbit team before deploying this update. I'm also disappointed that the team seems to still be denying widespread issues with the update (this thread seems to very clearly indicate otherwise!).  I'll be sure to check the community discussion board before installing any further updates! I've learned my lesson 🙂

Thank you community members for providing information that helped me resolve this case! 

Best Answer
Solution for me was to turn off sync and set a reminder to manually sync on Sunday nights. I went through 2 batteries in a week before doing that. 
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Gerrya35,  but I'm not sure how I can possibly manually sync when my Zip isn't recognized by my tablet or phone and can't sync at all. I'm constantly met with error messages and failures to connect.  My phone/tablet don't even recognize that the update was successful, still stating that I'm on version 5.86.  The update fails to reinstall and I do know that it went through to completion. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thoroughly agree with equinom comments--december 2018. Total crash of my ZIP and raises suspicion of Fitbit intentions.They could not care less--buy a new one?

Yes, but will not buy another Fitbit !!!

Pity as handy pocket design was just what I wanted.

That should have read December 2017 of course!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Equinom there is no known issues of Zip firmware 5.90 causing widespread syncing issues. The update included a necessary security issue and we continue to recommend updating your firmware for optimal performance. I took a peek at your account and it does appear that the firmware update didn't complete. I do recommend trying the troubleshoots in this article if you haven't already. 

I've also gone ahead and created a case for you and someone from our team will contact you shortly. 

@ellerhowe currently, some users using an iOS device to sync are experiencing rapid battery drain. It's possible this may be happening to your tracker. If possible, we do recommend trying to sync to an alternative device. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
0 Votes

After that update I started going through a battery a week. I have now disabled auto sync and set a reminder to sync on Sunday evenings only. I have not changed a battery in over a month now. My phone is the Google Pixel XL.

Best Answer

Hi Mav70, 

I'm curious how you contacted support.  You say you trouble shot with them for an hour... was this a telephone call? I've been troubleshooting with them for weeks.  They typically respond to my emails within 6-12 hours.  I previously tried reaching out to them via twitter as I was somehow linked there for their "live chat support" but that was significantly worse.  You also mention that your device was replaced. Was your Zip less than 1 year old? 

Thanks!

Equinom

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply @Gerrya35 and @Equinom! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Zip tracker and the troubleshooting steps you have performed before posting here.

@Gerrya35 At the moment the issue you are describing is a known issue by our engineering team and they are working to find a fix for this. You can join or follow this discussion Zip rapid battery drain on iOS version 2.41.1 for more information. We are really sorry for the inconvenience, and we hope to get you back on track soon.

@Equinom Upon checking with Support I was able to see that you have a case with them and they are helping you to get back on track. At the moment, the best option is to continue working with them, I'm sure that they can help you to get back on track soon. 

Catch you later! 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Kate, you said “there is no known issues of Zip firmware 5.90 causing widespread syncing issues” but just from reading this thread I think that is obviously not true. My zip no longer syncs since my update and I’m very frustrated by it. If the official line at corporate is what you stated please bring it to their attention that it is clearly not the case. Version 90 does cause syncing issues. If they don’t think there’s a problem they won’t be attempting to fix it. 

Best Answer

@Nujapx2, I've long since given up on my Zip, but because I've posted on this thread, I'm still getting these updates.  I agree with you, and am also really surprised to hear that "there is no known issues of Zip firmware 5.90 causing widespread syncing issues".  I have several friends who had the exact same thing happen after updating to 5.90, and like you said, in this thread, there are many instances of the same being reported.  I was also told that my Zip did not have the update, despite having posted a photo showing the Zip at 5.90.  I was also told at one point that FitBit engineers were aware of the problem, and were working on a solution (that was the response I got from a support case that was opened on my behalf - it was closed saying it was being worked on, but there has never been a resolution.)

It is disappointing to see this still going on over 6 months from the initial rollout of the 5.90 firmware - and now everyone is being told that there is no known widespread issue, that's even worse.

Best Answer