Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip Firmware Release Version 5.90

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 8/25/2018: This firmware release was completed last year and I'm closing this thread for further responses. If you are experiencing an issue with your Zip and are unable to find a thread that addresses the issue on the Flex board, please start a new thread. Thank you! 

Update 11/9/2017: We have continued to roll out this firmware for the Fitbit Zip, and expect more users will see it as available today. This is a progressive rollout, if you haven't seen it previously you should by the end of day today. 

We've begun to roll out new firmware for Zip. This is a progressive rollout, and all Zip users can expect to have it within a few days. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Click here to see our firmware release help article for more details on version 5.90.

Instructions for updating your tracker can be found here.

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

Since receiving firmware 5.90, my zip will no longer sync with any device it previously synced with. Have 3 different Android devices, and a Windows 10 desktop. Had a chat with support, who walked me through all the troubleshooting steps (which I'd done on my own already), to no avail. Now my Fitbit Zip, which previously had no issues for almost 3 years is suddenly a very tiny brick. Support offered me a coupon code for a discount on the purchase of a new Fitbit, which was a nice gesture, but it is money I'd rather not spend when I know that just a few days ago, it worked perfectly fine. For what it's worth, at least two other people I know have experienced the exact same issue with their Zip after 5.90 update. Beware!

Best Answer

zip stopped syncing after update...have spend at least two hours trying to do all the suggestions...frustrating, worked fine before

Best Answer

My firmware is currently 5.86. However, it was syncing fine (synced on Oct 20) until the Windows Fall Creator Update. Now it won't sync! I downloaded the fitbit connect app for PC (I already had the one for Win 10 installed). The Fitbit Connect will sync but only when using the dongle (the Win 10 version used to sync without it). Now what? Bluetooth is on, the zip is paired, etc. Everything that should allow it to sync without the dongle is good (as stated, as of Oct 20, it worked fine for the past year without a dongle---it's only the Fitbit Connect that won't sync without it, but the Fitbit app won't sync at all now). How do I get the non-dongle syncing to work again? Somehow, I doubt the 5.90 firmware update will help with that.

Best Answer
Contact customer services as that was my options. 
Good Luck 
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks...
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Zip hasn't synced for three days now. Never had an issue before. I tried all the troubleshooting steps and it synced for about 3 minutes. Now nothing again. Really frustrating. Please fix this!!! 

Best Answer

@KateFitbit, I've seen some more activity on this thread, and also have heard from more of my friends who have Zips that they are experiencing the same sync issues.  It is starting to seem like it is not a coincidence, and that it is possibly related to the firmware update, or perhaps an update on the fitbit sync servers, or perhaps the fitbit app (windows, android, etc), or some combination of these.  Is there any way we can get a technical resource at FitBit to dig into this?  I really don't want a wearable (wrist) Fitbit, I am very happy with what the Zip provides, and the fact that I can throw it in my pocket.  I am now reluctant to buy a new Zip, fearing that it will have the exact same issue when it updates to the 5.90 firmware.  So now I'm left considering alternatives other than Fitbit, which I'd rather not do if I can get my Zip working again.

Best Answer

Same here... very frustrating.

Exactly how I feel...plus gone through two batteries trying to make it work...

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

@CincyJimK Check out these troubleshoots and see how it goes, it doesn't appear that the firmware completed.

@vicki51 It doesn't look like you have the update yet. If you are going through battery drain you are likely experiencing the issue with the iOS update. I created this thread and will post updates as I learn more. Right now I recommend turning off all day sync if you have that enabled. 

@Knitpraylove74@illdoc It doesn't appear you have the update yet. Have reviewed these syncing tips

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KateFitbit, thanks. I've tried the instructions at that link already, no luck. I tried again just now, same. FYI, I also tried removing the device from my account, but have not been able to reconnect it either. I get to the point where the app asks for the 4-digit code on the Fitbit Zip screen, but after typing the code, it immediately goes to a "Not working" screen, with a "Try again" button. That doesn't work either. Also FYI, the Zip shows 5.90 when I restart it, so it seems like it got the firmware update. I can send a photo showing thisScreenshot_20171025-210840.png

Best Answer

Yes, I've done all that. Still not working. I'm not the most tech savvy so I don't know what iOS or whatever is needed. It was working fine until this update. 

Oh well. 

@KateFitbit wrote:

@CincyJimK Check out these troubleshoots and see how it goes, it doesn't appear that the firmware completed.

@vicki51 It doesn't look like you have the update yet. If you are going through battery drain you are likely experiencing the issue with the iOS update. I created this thread and will post updates as I learn more. Right now I recommend turning off all day sync if you have that enabled. 

@Knitpraylove74@illdoc It doesn't appear you have the update yet. Have reviewed these syncing tips

Best Answer

is this still being rolled out ?.  My Android and IOS apps do not show an update available yet. I am still on version 5.86 of the firmware. Like some others who post to the Zip forum I suffer from short battery life issues and was hoping that this update would help.

Thanks !

Best Answer

My Zip firmware updated to 5.90 on October 20, and I could not sync until today. 

To make it sync, I removed the battery, waited 10 seconds and put it back in.  This restarted my Zip.  Then I restarted my android phone.  My Zip now synced.  But I lost all the days of data between Oct 20 and Oct 30 (grrr).

The Battery level is no longer recorded as low, and the time is now correct!

Best Answer
Thanks for info. I had done pretty much same. Worked for few hours. Did the same again with new battery so far so good has worked couple of days. I know hate loosing info.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, I'll try that again when I get home.  I've already done that many times, but maybe something happened today to fix the issue (app or service update maybe).  I've even gone so far as pulling the battery for an extended period (over 4 hours), and trying the same, but no luck so far.  Strangely, even with the battery pulled for that time, when I put it back in, all my steps for the day were still showing.  No idea if it still has history since the last sync (10/17 or so), but being without power for 4+ hours didn't lose the day's data.

Best Answer

Trust me, it makes no difference. 

Best Answer

So my Zip hasn't synced for 12 days. Keeps asking me to update tracker, but when I try that I get an error msg - 'The operation couldn't be completed (com.fitbit.HTTP error 0.)' When I take out battery & replace it it reads 5.90 so assuming firmware is up to date so why am I being asked to update tracker anyway?  Have also tried restarting my iPhone, deleting & restoring the app but nothing works.....

They say misery loves company, at least from this thread I realise that I am not alone, but how much longer is this situation going to continue?

Bayla

Best Answer

@Bayla, I was getting the same thing (message about needing to upgrade, even though my Zip showed 5.90, but update failing with the same error), so I decided to try removing the Zip from my account, and the re-add it (that was suggested in another unrelated thread regarding syncing not working).  That didn't work, and now I cannot add it back to my account either.  It gets recognized by the app, and goes into pairing mode, displaying the 4-digit code on the Zip screen, but after entering the code in the app, the app spins for a few seconds, then the Zip screen goes back to showing steps, and the app says it was not able to connect, and to try again.  I can repeat this process over and over, but for whatever reason, even though the app can see the Zip and make the initial connection, it never finishes pairing.  I've tried the same on Windows as well, with the same results.

Best Answer

I just removed my battery for about half a minute, when I replaced it my zip synced! Thanks for the advice!

Best Answer
0 Votes