Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip Firmware Release Version 5.90

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 8/25/2018: This firmware release was completed last year and I'm closing this thread for further responses. If you are experiencing an issue with your Zip and are unable to find a thread that addresses the issue on the Flex board, please start a new thread. Thank you! 

Update 11/9/2017: We have continued to roll out this firmware for the Fitbit Zip, and expect more users will see it as available today. This is a progressive rollout, if you haven't seen it previously you should by the end of day today. 

We've begun to roll out new firmware for Zip. This is a progressive rollout, and all Zip users can expect to have it within a few days. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Click here to see our firmware release help article for more details on version 5.90.

Instructions for updating your tracker can be found here.

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

@Daws wrote:

is this still being rolled out ?.  My Android and IOS apps do not show an update available yet. I am still on version 5.86 of the firmware. Like some others who post to the Zip forum I suffer from short battery life issues and was hoping that this update would help.

Thanks !

Me too - has the roll-out been suspended because of the problems it is causing?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit app on Android had an update today, I was excited, thinking it might solve my syncing issues, but no. For good measure, I tried all the usual tricks I've been trying for the past two weeks (remove battery, replace, reboot phone, unpair all Bluetooth devices, etc), same results. And even if I want to buy another Zip, they aren't available here, and other places like Amazon are marked up to double the retail price. There appear to be several non-fitbit alternatives available, in similar form factor (Garmin vivofit, for instance, has clips available instead of the band). If this doesn't get resolved soon, I'm planning to go with something else, as I've been losing out on points from my health care provider for long enough.

Best Answer

Hi everyone! Nice to see you all! Thanks for the awesome tips @CincyJimK! To further assist you I have created a case for you. You should receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums.

@Knitpraylove74, and @Val.j To make sure that your app is working correctly, please log out and reboot your device. Once is up, log in. Also, to ensure that your tracker is working as expected restart it. 

@Daws, @vicki51, @SunsetRunner, @Starlight5 Make sure to restart your Zip, then check for any app updates (Android and iOS)  and try to update the firmware of your Zip again. 

@Bayla Please restart your Zip and follow the steps provided in this thread Getting an error (com.fitbit.HTTP error 0).

Keep me posted! 😉 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

I have reset (removed battery) on my Fitbit, deleted the app from my iPhone and rebooted - I removed the zip from my account and have now connected to my MacBook - The Web dashboard shows Firmware 5.86 as does the zip .

Also before I removed the battery it was showing nearly empty and I received the warning email - now it shows a full again.

Graham

Moderator edit: personal info and format

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem. I have tried the trouble shooting steps but I’m still stuck. I’m in the middle of a StepBet and I’m going to lose $40 because of this... and maybe my Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue that others are having.  I've tried all the suggestions and none of them have worked (removed battery in fitbit, re-booted phone, uninstalled/reinstalled app, etc.).  Everything was working fine before the upgrade failed.  Is Fitbit planning on doing any kind of update to fix this? 

Best Answer

Lucy, my Fitbit still won't sync. Is there a way to download the previous update so that the Fitbit's work properly. 

Best Answer
I called Fitbit twice today and talked to them in chat. They tried to help me fix it for a while and then offered me 25% off a new fitbit. I was pretty upset about it (cause I also lost a step bet because of it, which is $40 out the window), so I told them I was looking elsewhere for my next fitbit, and they finally agreed to send me a replacement. Though, not before offering me the 25%, and then telling me that all they could do was give me shipping, and then expedited shipping, and then if I UPGRADED to another one that they would give me a free wristband (that made me madder)… So… be tenacious. This is their fault. They should fix it. I’m grateful for the replacement though. They should have done it before I spent two hours on it.
Best Answer

Has there been any further research into Firmware 5.90?  I'm having the same issue where my Zip was working last night, I attempted to update, and now it won't sync with my phones.  After deleteing the app, re-downloading it, restarting the Zip multiple times, chatting with Support...I even removed the device from my account & now can't add it.  Keep getting the  "The operation couldn't be completed. (com.fitbit.HTTP error 400.)" message.

Best Answer

I am a little apprehensive about updating my zip.... the update showed up yesterday on my app, but I don't want to update it and then have my zip not sync, etc...

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit Zip quit working - the screen doesn't come on, it's not registering steps.  I replaced the battery, I took the (full) battery out to try and get it to reset -- it's still not working.    I had a "backup" zip (which says it is at version 86) that I've registered but is there anyway to refuse the update?  I'm very concerned that the update killed my Zip.....

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:
I have reset (removed battery) on my Fitbit, deleted the app from my iPhone and rebooted - I removed the zip from my account and have now connected to my MacBook - The Web dashboard shows Firmware 5.86 as does the zip .

Also before I removed the battery it was showing nearly empty and I received the warning email - now it shows a full again.

Battery now completely dead, it did last a week though - so that works out at 52 a year * £3 = £150 a year (or 3 new Fitbit Zips)
🤑

Moderator edit: personal info 

Best Answer

I'd recommend putting off the update until whatever issues exist are worked out. To date, I've probably spent 15 hours trying to get mine working again, with no luck. And for what it's worth, I'm an IT professional (software engineering and development), so believe me when I say I've tried everything possible to try and get it working. I've even started trying to debug the actual Bluetooth communications, but not having a working Zip to compare with, I am not sure how far I will get with that.

TL;DR - don't update!

FYI, after numerous emails with FitBit support, I've gotten this in a reply - it sounds like there may be a light at the end of this long, dark, sync-less tunnel:

"our engineers are aware of the problem and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible"

I've asked some follow-up questions, regarding estimated time of resolution, actions needed when it is resolved, etc.  I will post more here when I get a reply.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Didn't help one bit Lucy!

I have also been in communication with Fitbit support & they have offered me 50% off a new Fitbit tracker or a complimentary replacement Fitbit Zip as presumably still under warranty. Have had so many problems with my Zip that I'm not sure if I want to go with another one! And presume I will lose all my data from the current one?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bayla wrote:

I have also been in communication with Fitbit support & they have offered me 50% off a new Fitbit tracker or a complimentary replacement Fitbit Zip as presumably still under warranty. Have had so many problems with my Zip that I'm not sure if I want to go with another one! And presume I will lose all my data from the current one?

I had that offer because of battery drainage-I took it and here I am now with two Fitbit zips both with the same problem - I know I am not the first. On the plus side, if they do ever sort it out, I will have two working zips.😐

Best Answer

Not sure if it's the same issue but... my zip has been always been fine but starting on 11/2 it stopped synching with my windows 7 laptop (with dongle).  I can't even get the 'fitbit connect' to launch on my laptop from the start menu, the service says its stopped and won't start.  I've tried checking steps in the help articles, nothing seems to help and nothing seems specific to my issue.  My zip itself seems to still be tracking my steps but it won't upload...

Best Answer

Same issues here.  I have tried most of tactics the others have listed with the exception of un-pairing my tracker from my devices.  I started to have issues on Sunday the 5th.  My tracker isn't tracking my steps correctly, its' showing the incorrect time & it will not sync.  I've tried updating to 5.90 but it will not finish the process.  From what I can tell my Bluetooth is now not recognizing it on my android phone. Grrrr.

Best Answer

I have tried that but it is still not offering an update to 5.90

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, out of the blue this morning the app started registering my steps.....for 4430 steps, & then it stopped again! I went out for a brisk walk & it also recorded my exercise, well the first 4430 steps of it! Still not syncing or updating though. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@Bayla wrote:

I had that offer because of battery drainage-I took it and here I am now with two Fitbit zips both with the same problem - I know I am not the first. On the plus side, if they do ever sort it out, I will have two working zips.😐

Well my replacement Fitbit arrived & everything appears to be working fine, it updated, it synced so apart from not having any steps recorded from 18th October I'm happy so far. Hope I won't have all the battery problems that I had with the old one. 

One thing I still don't get is why some people have had this issue & not others? My sister, daughter & son-in-law have the same trackers as me & have never experienced any problems!

Best Answer
0 Votes