Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip battery drain after iOS 2.39 update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit update 10/9/2017: This has been resolved in update 2.41.1. Please update your app  if you continue to experience this issue. Thanks again for your reports and patience. As this issue is resolved, I'll be closing this thread for further comments. 

I've merged a few posts together because we received several reports of battery draining for Zip users on iOS after the 2.39 update. Our team is currently investigating the root cause of this issue and will be hard at work to get a fix out as quickly as possible to get you all back on track. Once I receive an update from them I will update this thread and will make sure to keep you all in the loop.

Also note, we have had reports that turning off all-day-sync has helped as a workaround and worth a try until this issue is resolved. 

Thanks for your help with reporting this and for your continued patience.

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
175 REPLIES 175

Big Jake. 

Hi again. I’m still using the one U recomended 2032.  Sometimes is low and sometimes it recharges by itself , but it’s better then having low batt all the time with the 2025. 

Thank U again for the recommendation 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately a new Fitbit will not solve the battery problem since it is related to software. I do have to say that I think the problem may be fixed as the little "*" next to the battery light is no longer blinking. I'm still astounded that Fitbit didn't offer a blanket discount to owners, particularly since many of us are long time, multiple Fitbit users. If I can ever find an alternative that I like you can be sure I'll buy it. 

Best Answer

I think it may have but haven't seen a posting from Fitbit to that effect. 

Best Answer

I bought my Fitbit Zip on 9-26-17 and installed by THIRD battery on 10-4-17,  I am using the 2025 battery that is recommended in the instructions sent by email when the battery is low.  This is nothing but annoying.  I believed the 5-6 months as promoted by Fitbit.  I expect some help on this matter.

Best Answer
I do have to say that prior to this issue I was getting 3 - 4 months from a battery. I also suggest turning off the automatic sync on your phone as that drains the battery and not changing when it says it is low. About ten days ago when I installed a new battery the following day (according to Fitbit themselves) it was at 25%. By turning off the automatic sync it eventually stopped draining and went back to 100%. Something is definitely not right but I do think it has improved.
Best Answer

Good luck with a resolution.  They tell you to disable all your smart phone apps which use the ip.  That does seem to help, but I have not tried that myself, I only report what others have said.  Fit Bit says is it a problem with the operating system upgrade they did sometime in the past.  I would expect given the info that the 2032 battery improves the battery life, they could find the source of the problem, but so far, no answers.  When I posted a comment on using the 2032 battery, the moderator said they do not recommend that option.  They have never supported that position, and I suspect they ask the Fit Bit engineers and then they give the standard answer which is don't do it.  The 2032 battery has almost 50% more battery capacity than their recommended 2025.  My battery life with the 2032 is considerably longer than that which would be indicated by a 50% increase in battery capacity.  I suspect there is something else at work here, but no comment from Zip.  I need to  replace my Zip battery, I will post battery life when it dies.

Best Answer

New out of box Zip beginning of September; batteries 3V Coin Battery 2025 worked for 2weeks (started reading at medium after 1 day).  Gave up for a couple of weeks til I remembered to buy new batteries.  Replaced with another brand new battery, this one started reading at medium after 1st sync; now after 5 days is reading low and telling me it needs to be replaced. Get your act together, guys -- this is unacceptable.

I have long preferred the Zip over the various wristband models, but I'm about ready to give up on Fitbit altogether. 

Best Answer

Thank you Big Jake. I’m replaced it already and it fails sometimes but it’s working better then the 2025. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am sorry to say I agree with you. My first Fitbit Zip lasted for 6 months
but I broke it trying to replace battery.
Purchased a new zip ... that’s when itall went pearshape... pity as I
prefer zip to wristband devices 👿😱
Best Answer

Yeap. It’s sad

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the excellent info.  Fitbit is discontinuing the Zip so I don't think they will spend time trying to resolve the issue.  I ended up buying the Flex 2 as I found a clip attachment on Amazon.  I like the Zip better so may go back to it if the 2032 battery works.  How long does it last?
Best Answer

Vxz. 

I been usin it like for 2 weeks already, sometimes it says that is low batt and sometimes it’s completly green “fullbatt” but it’s been working good  better the the 2025

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please continue to work on this issue!  And please send updates.  This is very frustrating.

Best Answer

I, too, am having battery problems.  I had moved away from using my FitBit Zip to another device for a while, but came back to the Zip.  Problem was, the battery lasted not even 2 weeks.  I reached out to FitBit support, who mentioned an engineering issue with iOS.  However, they did offer to replace my zip with a new one (how nice).  New one shows up on 10/4, put in a brand new Energizer CR2025 battery and I was already getting "Battery Low" notices by 10/6.  Reached out to FitBit support and they cannot replace the device again.  They encouraged me to buy a new one at a discount.  However, they cannot explain why the new one they just sent me is having the problems also.  Why would I buy another new device if it's most likely to display the same behavior?  So, after some back and forth, they are replacing the newly replaced device again.  I'll cross my fingers that this one will get even close to the 6 month advertised battery life.  Keep posting your experiences, though, as I'm curious to know if I'm an anomaly of if this is a systemic problem with the Zip.

Best Answer
It is happening to every Zip now.  Since they aren't making the Zip anymore they probably won't fix the software issue.  I bought a Flex 2 to replace the Zip and found a magnetic clip on holder for it on Amazon.  After that I heard from one person on the chat said he replaced the Zip battery with a 2032 battery and it worked better.  He didn't say how long it lasted.  My Zip needed a new battery every 2nd or 3rd day with the recommended battery.  You might want to try the 2032.  If it lasts for a reasonable amount of time let me know as I liked the Zip better than the Flex as you can read the data on the Zip without syncing it, not so on the Flex.
Best Answer

Ugh, that kinda sucks.  The clip works best for me because of my job (cannot wear watches, bracelets, etc).  I'll have to try the other battery type.  Shame on FitBit for the planned obsolescence, though.

Best Answer

Had my Zip for just over a year never had a battery last longer than a week

Best Answer

There was a new iOS app version updated last night/ this morning.  I installed it and where the app said my battery was low, today it says it's full.  The bluetooth icon also doesn't seem to be staying on all the time like it did with the previous app version.  So maybe they fixed the battery drain problem with this new version.

Best Answer

Okay, yeah, I see that now.  I just updated to 2.41.1.  In the app, it still says my Zip has a low battery, it's only 5 days old.  I'll have to see if this extends out what little life is left on this battery.

Best Answer

Yeap!  Hope so too

Best Answer
0 Votes