Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip only syncs after battery removal

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My zip only syncs after the battery is removed.  I followed all the usual troubleshooting,  and then contacted support. They sent a replacement but I'm having the same issue with the new one. 

Best Answer
91 REPLIES 91

I am having the same issue which started after I had an upgrade to my Samsung S9 phone about 2 weeks ago.  I have called Fitbit and went thru every possible issue that could be causing the problem.  As of today no resolution.  Every night I have to take the battery out of my zip and then my zip will sync with my phone.  I actually ordered a new zip and it had the same issue as my original one.  I sent it back.  

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Fitbit Forums @Twotonetish and @TC2011, let me give you a warm Welcome to our Community.

I'm sorry to hear what happened with your Zips and many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. 

As @TC2011, mentioned in this case the best is to continue the assistance with our Support Team.

@Twotonetish I opened a new case for you so they'll be contacting you very soon via email. In the meantime please make sure that all the requirements to sync are in order. 

Please let me know if you have any other question or comments!Cat Happy

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem. I can't sync unless I remove the battery and put it back in . Started after android update. 

Best Answer
That's exactly when I started having the issue,  right after an android update. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer

Restarting the ZIP by removing the battery is NOT an acceptable (or even useful) solution. The battery contact mechanism already is flaky and removing/reinstalling the battery daily only exacerbates an already terrible design.

I have a Fitbit Zip that has been syncing fine for over two years. In the past few weeks it has gotten to the point where I am ready to go to another tracker I do NOT have to wear on my wrist. It is driving me nuts.

Syncing is very sporadic, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Maybe it is successful once every other day.
Device is Fitbit ZIP at firmware 5.90
Fitbit App on Phone is at version 2.88
Phone hardware is LG VS501 rev 1.0, software is VS5011CA running Android 7.0 (security patch to 1/1/2019)

Best Answer

Thanks for stopping by @Brinah01 and @Mumpie, Welcome to our Community! It's very important for us to read what are you experiencing.

@Brinah01I just confirmed with our Support Team that you have been in touch with them. I recommend you to continue the assistance with they. 

@Twotonetishif you still having doubts about the resolution provided you can always contact our Support Team again for further assistance with this.Cat Wink

@Mumpie, many thanks for share all those details and let me know that you have a LG VS501. This device is not fully compatible with all features of Fitbit devices and the Fitbit appOur team routinely test new devices to ensure full compatibility with Fitbit devices and the Fitbit app, and are constantly working to confirm compatibility with new phone models. I'd recommend to verify that your phone meets the minimum operating system requirements.

Please keep in mind that when a device is not supported we cannot guarantee its functionality with the Fitbit app. It might work at a certain time and then it can stop working out of nowhere after an update. This is because the app is not optimized to that device and any change could impact the performance. 

We're sorry for any inconvenience it's caused. Please let us know if there's anything we may do to assist you in the meantime.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, as I said, it had been working for over 2 years just fine.  Now the Fitbit ZIP may as well be a rock around my neck.  I would rather replace the tracker with another brand (unless Fitbit is willing to buy me a new phone).  Something at the Fitbit end screwed up the syncing.  I hold that organization responsible.  Since Fitbit does NOT seem to be capable or even interested in addressing this problem that they have caused, it is time for me to move on to a more responsive company.  Good bye.
By the way, the phone (LG VS501) does meet all the requirements that Fitbit documented here, except it no longer works.

Best Answer

My fitbit Zip will also only sync after removal of the battery and it is an inconvienience to me. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and both the phone and the fitbit app are up to date. It is starting to look like there is no fix for it?

Best Answer

I got this reply from support after troubleshooting.

"We currently have an ongoing syncing issue with Android devices under software version nine (9). We are working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. In line with this, we recommend to sync your Zip using a different device. "

Best Answer

It would be nice if they would tell EXACTLY how to go about doing that.
I have the Dongle attached to my PC running Windows 10 and it still does not sync

Best Answer

I received my new zip yesterday and got it synced to app but after that could not sync. Troubleshooted and found take battery out put back in which worked but today same issue. Called but after after battery in and out so worked . Advised to try again later well same issue again. I'll be calling very soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @LindaEshom@Brinah01 and @Hannahhelbig let me give you a warm Welcome to our Community. 

Thank you for getting back and for the time you took to share your thoughts with us @Mumpie. We appreciate your feedback, it is always useful.

In some cases if a device is not in our list of compatible devices it means it has not been tested by our team yet and we can not guarantee stability of synchronization, nor functions such as notifications. Take into account that the time to add new compatible devices depends on the updates that Fitbit has to suggest to the company in charge and the time that this company take to make these changes to the software of the mobile device in question.

However, it is worth checking the following conditions already mentioned. If these conditions are in order and the synchronization still no possible. I recommend you follow the troubleshooting steps in this helpfull article.

@LindaEshom, if you haven't already done so I would like to suggest you the following:

1. Make sure there are no other Bluetooth devices around as they might interfere with the syncing process
  2. Force quit the Fitbit app. 
  3. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  4. Open the Fitbit app.
  5. If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart your phone.
  6. If your Fitbit device won't sync after the restart, log in to your Fitbit account on a different compatible phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync.
  7. If your Fitbit device still doesn’t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your mobile device and try to sync.

@Brinah01 and @Hannahhelbig, many thanks for share your experience. If you still having difficulties to sync I suggest you to contact our Support Team again for further assistance. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted. Cat Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the exact same problem.  It's been working perfectly for a years and all of a sudden I need to remove the battery to sync it.  Frustrating and annoying!

Best Answer
Mine is new. It's all new to me. Frustrating! Though did read in threads
something about an Android nine update that has created the problem.
Supposed to be trying to fix problem. We'll see.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Good to hear I'm not the only one.  I've had my Zip for years. Syncing has been on and off but usually will resolve eventually.  I got a new Galaxy 9 this past week and it has been very strange.  Some days it adds 6 steps and then the next date 600, when in actuality I'm closer to 2,000 each day.  Taking the battery out all the time is hard and since my Zip is older, I'm not sure how much longer it will let me do that. I can't afford to buy a newer version at this point so I'm writing down my information at night when I go to bed just so I have a record somewhere.  

Best Answer

This is what I had to do.. I downloaded app on my android tablet. My tablet is old but will sync without taking battery out. If you have a tablet try that. 

Best Answer

I installed the Fitbit App on my Windows 10 machine.  Syncs reliably with no problem using the dongle.

BTW, does anyone know how to delete all the Notifications from the Windows 10 Fitbit App?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did this too.  Downloaded the fitbit app on my Android tablet.  My zip syncs with the tablet.  When I bring up the app on my phone it syncs with my tablet.  I don't have to continually take the battery out of my zip now.  Not as convenient but hey, it works!

Best Answer
Same here .
Best Answer
0 Votes