Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip syncs only after restart

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have windows 7 on desktop Dell. Have had no issues ever until recently. Fitbit Zip only syncs when I restart it by removing battery and waiting a minute and replacing. Also Synced it a couple of minutes after midnight and zip displayed duplicate steps from previous day when it should have been zero since i was at computer for the a few minutes prior to midnight until a few minutes after and didn't take any steps.

Moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

I just got my zip today and darn have this issue with my pixel. Frustrating. Take battery out and then will sync for a few minutes. But then 20 mins same issue. Won't sync and says tracker not found

Best Answer

Hi guys! Thanks for getting back.

@JStymie Thanks for trying those steps. @R_D_____Those details are very useful, thanks for the steps that you and your wife already tried. Please confirm what model of phone you're using. You will see the compatibility list here: Which phones and tablets can I use with my Fitbit watch or tracker?

@GreenWing and @Allmil We're sorry for the syncing trouble that you're having with your Android phone, we've had some issues with Android 9.0 (Pie) version. If that's the case, we appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track. In the meantime, I'd suggest to sync your tracker with a different device or a PC, so you don't loose your data and you can keep the time on your Fitbit.

I'll be around. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
Hi Yojana -- I am using a Pixel 2 which is on the compatability list,
currently on 9.0 as you mentioned.
Best Answer

Thanks for your quick reply @JStymie. Thanks for confirming that information, have you tried to sync with a computer or other device? Sorry about this inconvenience. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
did you read the post, you have to pull the battery for the pc as well with
the dongle, that's stellar product support, thanks for nothing! Where's
the case Yojana?
Best Answer

I have the Pixel and Android 9. So is this an issue with all Fitbits or just the Zip? I lost my One and never had issues. Replaced it with the Zip. Don't really want a wrist option and the One has been discontinued.  

Best Answer

Seems like the majority of issues are with Pixel devices (including me). I'm starting to think the Zip can't work with pixel for extended time. It does appear to be only the Zip devices having this issue. I have friends with the FitBit watch variants and they sync with no issues. Now my zip clip has broken and I'm all but done with this device. Too bad, hope this gets fixed eventually.

Best Answer

Hi guys nice to see you again.

@Allmil@R_D_____  and @ClintL Thanks for getting back and confirming those details, in this case I'd consider checking with our support team to see what is the next step. I can give you a hand with that if you wish, keep me posted.

We don't know any issue related specifically with the Pixel model, although if your phone is not in this list then we can not assure it will be connecting flawless.

I'll be around in case that you need me to open a case for you.

Best Answer

I too am having this exact issue and found this thread because of it.  I have had my Fitbit Zip since 2015.  It will regularly sync with the dongle on my PC.  However, the only time it will sync with my Pixel phone is when I have taken out the battery and put it back in.  It will run the initial sync, but will not sync again.

This is a major bug which needs to be solved asap, and I agree with the previous poster that this doesn't make me want to get a more expensive Fitbit.  Pixel clearly seems to have a problem even though it's on the supported list.  Mod, what is the best way to raise attention to this issue?  My info is as follows:

• Fitbit Zip v. 5.90
  • Google Pixel 2, Android version 9, patch level January 5, 2019
Best Answer

As I said, I talked to support numerous times and it was useless just like
you. So file your case and have me talk to a few more people that don't
have a clue. Stop wasting my time and fix your software.

Open your case! Still can't sync with the pc or mobile phone, the same way I've been syncing these devices for years.  So what changed on your end?

@R_D_____ wrote:
As I said, I talked to support numerous times and it was useless just like
you. So file your case and have me talk to a few more people that don't
have a clue. Stop wasting my time and fix your software.
Best Answer

Funny thing mine has synced a few random times after I took my battery out. But now it hasn't synced for two days. Mobile App keeps saying tracker not found. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is the case # for reference?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Yojana -- can you give any further information regarding the known issue
with Android Pie / Android 9? Is there any fix pending, any ETA for when
it will be released, et cetera?

It seems likely most people here are having this issue due to the known
Android 9 problems you mentioned. Google makes new Android versions
available first for their Pixel products, so people with Pixel phones are
the most likely to be on Android 9 currently.
Best Answer

I agree with this. I have a Motorola X4 which is also running Android 9 and I have this problem.

Best Answer

Answer the question Yojana!

Best Answer

Nice to see you here @trstones, welcome for the Fitbit Community. 

Thanks for sharing the steps that you've tried until now. Sorry about the inconvenience with your Zip, for this case we are suggesting to sync with a PC or a different device to confirm if the issue is with the Android version. If not, we might have to check with our support team; they can give you a hand with your Zip. Did you check these steps?

Hey @R_D_____, thanks for getting back. Sorry for this inconvenience, I know that you've tried different steps to make your Zip sync. Our team will be getting in touch with your shortly. You will get the case number in a PM too. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

@Allmil Thanks for confirming that information. Please check the suggested steps in this post please.

Hi @JStymie and @cbird527, thanks for your patience. We’re aware of this situation, but may not be able to provide a fix in the immediate future. Have you tried to sync with a different device? So, we can confirm that it is only having syncing issues just with your Android. Do you have that option? Thanks for checking in advance.

I'll be around guys.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You send me a private message with a case number and the only "secret" solution from Fitbit support is to check my device's warranty status?  I've told you this is not just my device but my wife's as well, both of which worked fine until your software was updated / "downgraded".  I have two new zips here in the box but why would I open those if it's a software issue.  My previous talks with support ended because they said I was the only one experiencing this problem.  From the forums here, it is obvious this issue is not contained to my fitbit and you should be ashamed.  I would be afraid this same issue exists on the new devices's and any product in your product line anymore because you can't answer the real questions.Thanks for wasting my time once again.

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem.  Only had my zip for about 10 days and it worked well for the first 2 - 3 days.  Now I have to restart it to get it to sync - lasts about half an hour.  I'm linked to a PC running Windows 10, so I don't think it's simply an android problem.  I've tried all of the "fixes" that have been suggested to no avail. 

Best Answer

Here's my customer journey

Note just for Fitbit - please don't ask me to try all of the suggestions contained in this forum - I've done them all and the only thing that works is to take the battery out of the Zip, remove it as a device from my Fitbit mobile app; add it back and then it'll sync; otherwise, no dice.

Information Fitbit Technical will ask for 

Mobile: Pixel 3 XL

Fitbit Device: Fitbit Zip

Purchased: Wednesday 23rd Jan 2019

Under Warranty: No idea - this device was an eBay purchase

My Journey:

1. Replaced the battery with a shiny new CR2025

2. Installed Fitbit Mobile App on my mobile

3. Clicked the Add Device | Fitbit Zip | Installed OK

4. Did some walking; got some smiles from the Fitbit Zip

5. Checked the Fitbit Mobile App Dashboard (nice btw - very clean GUI)

(GUI - yes - I was a 1990s c++ programmer 🙂

6. Pressed the Sync button - it worked - love this device (short-lived)

7. Did some more walking; got more smiles from Fitbit Zip

8. Went to bed - decided to check the Fitbit Mobile App

8.a. Clicked the "Sync" ... not looking good - waiting...then (!) on GUI

8.b. Fitbit Mobile App helpfully informs me it didn't sync, no smiley face

8.c. Repeat 3 times GOTO 8.a

8.d. Force Quit Fitbit Mobile App - Repeat 8a - 8c - no smiley face

8.e. Remove Fitbit Device from Mobile App; perform Step 3

8.f. Repeat Steps 8.a. to 8.c - no smiley face !!

8.g. Google...take battery out of Fitbit Zip - repeat Step 8.e then Click "Sync"...SMILEY FACE - (short lived see Step 11.a)

9. GOTO Sleep

Sleep - not much happened - no walking

10. Woke up, attached Fitbit Zip to my pyjamas, walked a bit

11. Decided to sync my steps with Fitbit Mobile App

11.a. same as Step 8.a. no smiley face

11.b. (wiser) same as 8.g. minus the Google bit - SMILEY FACE (short lived (See Step 12.b)

12. Got dressed, went to work (note Fitbit Zip now attached to suit)

12.a. Walked a lot more, went to meetings, coffee, tea, meetings, GOTO lunch

Lunch: Ate food; decided to sync Fitbit Zip steps with Fitbit Mobile App

13. same as Step 11.a. no smiley face

13.a. Bored now. Found this forum. Everyone has same problem. Fitbit Tech Support will ask me for my Mobile Device name, OS and Warranty details (supplied above). Tech Support will ask me if I have tried all of the suggestions on the forum (See Steps 1 through 13). Tech Support will advise me that "They are here for me" - thanks I'm here for you too. Tech Support will arrange to PM me - thanks but I already told you about the warranty status and we know this is not an isolated problem restricted to my Fitbit Zip. Tech Support will pacify me by telling me they are looking into it - that's great - if you ever get a solution then I'll be happy to give the little Zip another go...i'm a sucker for the Smiley Face. PS: Still no Smiley Face.

Yours

Sunny 🙂 ... er, kind've 😕 but really 😞

Best Answer

I'm having this issue with my Zip as well -- has anyone found a fix for this? Is there a way to get maybe a credit towards a different style FitBit? Clearly this is an issue with a lot of people. 

Best Answer